Pearson Interview

DesertRam

Obviously pleased with the performance, and straight to the point, concerning consistency.

I was pleased to hear that he feels we can solve the problem, and that all the players have shown

the determination needed to achieve this, presumably without major changes.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed he said we don't want to be 'a team that is good on its day but not at other times'. That's exactly how the last few seasons have gone - a brilliantly entertaining game followed by a flat performance. He's spotted that :)

8 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I noticed he said we don't want to be 'a team that is good on its day but not at other times'. That's exactly how the last few seasons have gone - a brilliantly entertaining game followed by a flat performance. He's spotted that :)

That's us! 

We've never been a flat 90%

Last season was so up and down. 

You just have to find that level you can run the whole season at and stick to it.

If we come in at 90% and lose to a team in awesome form then so be it. But they'll have to be chucking the kitchen sink in or just be a better team (of which there's ARGUABLY 2 or 3?)

But if we can keep a consistently high level then we'll be fine. We just can't go from looking slow and clueless one week to Barca lite the week after. Getting caught out too often. 

And who knows, you might catch Newcastle and Norwich backing up one of their best performances with an off one and Derby are capable of beating both playing slightly lower than the level we saw vs Hull away. 

Just Pearson needs to find what we can sustain. McClaren did it well. People moaned when we weren't smashing teams but didn't give enough credit to out opponents sometimes. Then the injuries and media and tinkering of defenders just lost our way completely. 

Wassall and Clement both produced totally unpredictable performances. 

The Play off Semi... Oh my god. Could we have showcased any more the range of Championship football? From hoof ball merchants to the team we received so much praise for in 2014 all within a week. 

On 30/07/2016 at 20:04, Ewe Ram said:

He had this same problem at Leicester the season before they got promoted from the Championship. Their fans were always moaning that he had "no Plan B"

He fixed it and they ran away with the league the following season. So lets' hope he's not forgotten how he did it!

I get the impression that Paul Clement had a fixed system in mind, and tried to make the players  fit that system come what may. Some did, some didn't, so we ended up with square pegs, round holes.

Darren Wassall had the unenviable task of picking up morale, and trying to see which were square pegs and which were round pegs,  mid-season, with hostile supporters, with some successs it has to be said. After all, we ended up in the play-offs when it all looked to be going tits up.

Pearson, it seems, is having a good look at what shape pegs we've actually got, pre-season, before fixing on a definite formation, or panic-buying any old sod who comes on the market just for the sake of it.

Loathed the success he had at Leicester, just hope he can sprinkle some of that magic dust over the iPro.

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

If 4411 is the system then I think a right and left winger is needed. Most our players aren't wingers. That would be my priority

I'd say that every club boasts a winger to not-winger ratio in their squad that heavily minoritizes wingers

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

If 4411 is the system then I think a right and left winger is needed. Most our players aren't wingers. That would be my priority

We have some good left footed players and Razza (if fit) strikes me as an out and out winger but yes we need a decent pure bred right winger and have done for far too long in my opinion. And more so now the pitch is a bit bigger ! 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It leaves absolutely no doubt in my mind that Nick Blackman will be one of the first names on the team sheet following that last comment. 

I definitely didn't envisage me saying that at any point last season. 

Same.

I read somewhere that he's been superb in training, pretty much ever since he's been with us but that he's struggled to do it in the first team matches. 

18 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

This is from the Q&A, which i was pleased to read, ive always thought it should be horses for courses  - 'Pearson also spoke though about the need for flexibility within the side, and that there will not be a rigid system or formation that will be used every single week. Instead, it is likely that he will utilise different systems based on the opponents, and that he sees various players being more effective in different systems.'

8 minutes ago, nfb said:

This is from the Q&A, which i was pleased to read, ive always thought it should be horses for courses  - 'Pearson also spoke though about the need for flexibility within the side, and that there will not be a rigid system or formation that will be used every single week. Instead, it is likely that he will utilise different systems based on the opponents, and that he sees various players being more effective in different systems.'

Didn't both clement and wassail try different systems without much success? 

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Didn't both clement and wassail try different systems without much success? 

They seemed to, but some square pegs were put in round holes i believe. I said i was pleased to hear about horses for courses because personally dont think 1 system should be applied throughout a season against all teams we meet, do you ?

Archived