Buxton - Confirmed to Wigan Athletic

Flaps

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gladram said:

Having watched Jake play since he joined he might be right footed, left footed or even two footed but having played most of his career on the left side he's not comfortable on the right and it shows when he plays there.

As a left side centre half he is a a good footballer but looks very shaky on the few occasions he's played on the right. An example is McClaren's first game against Ipswich where he played right side with Whitbread on the left. He really struggled when exposed against McGoldrick. Another, possibly unfair, example is playing right back away at Peterborough. Like a fish out of water.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but to me you should always play on the same side as your dominant foot.

For example in the home game against Birmingham, Ince received a ball from Hendrick on the right side and turned straight into his marker using his left foot as always, promptly losing the ball only to give away a penalty after chasing him into the penalty area.

So I still don't agree with you.

Also, Pearson might yet decide on a three centreback lineup. 

Either way, out of the CBs we have, Buxton should start as he is a driving force for the whole team which is really over and above any purely technical comparison. Keogh, armband or not, simply isn't.

6 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It doesn't matter which side a CB plays! The prime objective is to stop the other team from scoring! I think Buxton will be off but all the best to him! 

Bang on chief.

If we part we're bound to regret it.

Give him just a little more time as the song says....

12 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Keogh is not well balanced or coordinated, being all knees and elbows. Every game he dives in too early and often misses the ball. This most often seen when under pressure he panics, often compounding his original mistake. This usually leads to the opposition being gifted a goal - sometimes a crucial one.

Instead, look at Shackell for example - he stays on his feet and jockeys the attacker, ready to block their shot or pass. Its actually the main part of his game, as he is not that mobile and a relatively poor passer to boot (pun intended!!).

Buxton is better balanced and more mobile than either men. Instead of trying to be a poor man's Beckenbauer/Stimac - a "libero"  like Keogh attempts to do (not uncommonly robbed and then badly caught out of position!!), he plays a quick accurate long pass off either foot. That's actually a key sign of a good defender and is by far the fastest way to start a counterattack.

BUT over and above any physical or technical attributes he possesses, he brings a fighting spirit and infectious will to win which clearly transmits itself to both players and fans and has a potent galvanizing effect on each of them. Next time don't just look - open your eyes and truly see!! He is one of life's born leaders who genuinely loves this club. AND he is ours!! No bs kissing of the badge for him - he pats it instead with his chest puffed out, obviously bursting with pride at just wearing the shirt. This type of no holds barred commitment and passion CANNOT be bought at any price. He is quite simply a club treasure who IMO should be kept on staff after he retires as our own "Mister Motivator," passing on his unquenchable spirit to every Derby player at all levels. He has exactly the same vibe as the Leicester stalwarts who were the foundation of their first ever title win and is the same age.

Bill Shankly would have loved this man.

THIS is why he is so popular and valued by the people who really believe in him.

I feel truly sorry for the cynics who cannot.

Need I say more?

Sermon over.

I do believe you're trolling  and given this is the Buxton transfer thread I'll keep shtum for now and not bother to deconstruct your sermon, reverend. Maybe next time.

9 hours ago, Alex W said:

I do believe you're trolling  and given this is the Buxton transfer thread I'll keep shtum for now and not bother to deconstruct your sermon, reverend. Maybe next time.

My dear arrogant appendage.

Let me be clear on both points.

Derby should keep this man. Because...

Totally unlike some of the recent dead leg mercenaries so expensively hired, he is their ONLY player who really gets the Leicester/Iceland team spirit ethic. He should regrow his Viking beard as well to suit. Grrrrrrrr....

BTW he is probably one of the  lowest paid too.

I reckon some of you flash harrys on here have never kicked a ball in earnest.

And I am NOT trolling. Whatever that is.

Period. End of.

Yours unpatronisingly,

RR

13 hours ago, Gladram said:

Having watched Jake play since he joined he might be right footed, left footed or even two footed but having played most of his career on the left side he's not comfortable on the right and it shows when he plays there.

As a left side centre half he is a a good footballer but looks very shaky on the few occasions he's played on the right. An example is McClaren's first game against Ipswich where he played right side with Whitbread on the left. He really struggled when exposed against McGoldrick. Another, possibly unfair, example is playing right back away at Peterborough. Like a fish out of water.

He had half a season playing right side of the centre backs with Shackell a few years ago. I don't believe that a player should struggle to play one side or the other when in the centre.

23 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Keogh is not well balanced or coordinated, being all knees and elbows. Every game he dives in too early and often misses the ball. This most often seen when under pressure he panics, often compounding his original mistake. This usually leads to the opposition being gifted a goal - sometimes a crucial one.

Instead, look at Shackell for example - he stays on his feet and jockeys the attacker, ready to block their shot or pass. Its actually the main part of his game, as he is not that mobile and a relatively poor passer to boot (pun intended!!).

Buxton is better balanced and more mobile than either men. Instead of trying to be a poor man's Beckenbauer/Stimac - a "libero"  like Keogh attempts to do (not uncommonly robbed and then badly caught out of position!!), he plays a quick accurate long pass off either foot. That's actually a key sign of a good defender and is by far the fastest way to start a counterattack.

BUT over and above any physical or technical attributes he possesses, he brings a fighting spirit and infectious will to win which clearly transmits itself to both players and fans and has a potent galvanizing effect on each of them. Next time don't just look - open your eyes and truly see!! He is one of life's born leaders who genuinely loves this club. AND he is ours!! No bs kissing of the badge for him - he pats it instead with his chest puffed out, obviously bursting with pride at just wearing the shirt. This type of no holds barred commitment and passion CANNOT be bought at any price. He is quite simply a club treasure who IMO should be kept on staff after he retires as our own "Mister Motivator," passing on his unquenchable spirit to every Derby player at all levels. He has exactly the same vibe as the Leicester stalwarts who were the foundation of their first ever title win and is the same age.

Bill Shankly would have loved this man.

THIS is why he is so popular and valued by the people who really believe in him.

I feel truly sorry for the cynics who cannot.

Need I say more?

Sermon over.

14 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Buxton closes a man down much more rapidly than Keogh. That's what counts. Not how fast you run in a straight line or even on the spot for heaven's sake.

He is also a harder, old school type of tackler. He make it stick, so to speak.

Do these sentences not contradict each other?

I just want to point out that Keogh diving in isn't a bad thing every time he does it, he blocks a lot of shots because he does, his positioning may not be as good as shackell, so he dives to make up for it. Would you rather he stay static so the opponent can get an easy shot at goal, or throw himself at the ball to block it? A perfect example is against hull in the playoffs, Hernandez would not have scored the first goal if shackell had actually committed and thrown himself towards the ball rather than jogging to it. something keogh would have done.

people praise Buxton for closing down opponents and showing passion but criticise Keogh for the exact same thing. Hypocrite central. The problem is Keogh doesn't 'look' assured, he's gangly, his arms fly around and his legs are like a spiders whereas Buxton doesn't, he just decides to wrestle with his opponent. Yes Keogh moves weird and it looks like he's going to trip, jump into the opponent or just crumple but I don't give a rats ass about the way a player moves if he plays well. Keogh plays well. Actually watch him play rather than him move.

52 minutes ago, Lord_Ram said:

I just want to point out that Keogh diving in isn't a bad thing every time he does it, he blocks a lot of shots because he does, his positioning may not be as good as shackell, so he dives to make up for it. Would you rather he stay static so the opponent can get an easy shot at goal, or throw himself at the ball to block it? A perfect example is against hull in the playoffs, Hernandez would not have scored the first goal if shackell had actually committed and thrown himself towards the ball rather than jogging to it. something keogh would have done.

people praise Buxton for closing down opponents and showing passion but criticise Keogh for the exact same thing. Hypocrite central. The problem is Keogh doesn't 'look' assured, he's gangly, his arms fly around and his legs are like a spiders whereas Buxton doesn't, he just decides to wrestle with his opponent. Yes Keogh moves weird and it looks like he's going to trip, jump into the opponent or just crumple but I don't give a rats ass about the way a player moves if he plays well. Keogh plays well. Actually watch him play rather than him move.

Sorry chum, but you're wrong on this.

Every game, Keogh makes at least one really bad decision, sadly often game changing in critical matches.

Please do not get me wrong, I like his passion but not his style of play. Way too risky for an efficient CB. .

When Buxton closes on the man, he does not go straight into kamikaze mode like you know who. Instead he physically confronts his opponent without backing off like Shackell does. So he gives off an intimidating "you shall not pass" aura.

Tell you what chum, IF we get Hanley now that NUFC have apparently cooled on the deal, at best you will see a younger, bigger version of our Jake. Two peas in a pod. Mark my words people.

Lionheart and Braveheart together! Wowwwwww..... yes please.

Even if he does not get regular first team football, he will still want to stay on and fight for a place - his own words BTW.

Surely that says it all. He wants no easy way out. Only on his shield.

What a fooking great guy to have on your side.

That's exactly why LUFC won the championship, with even RM and JV buying into the dream at 5000 to 1!!!

And why Iceland beat the poseur England players.

What's magical about OUR game is that it is so much more than just a game of chess.

Are you there Paul (schoolmaster) Clement?

Nigel Pearson is clearly on the same page on this vital, visceral side of the sport.

Buxton for this season, please no! :ph34r:

As I said last season, the guy has got loads of passion and that makes up for the lack of his defensive skill.

God help us if we are going to rely on Buxton at the helm of our defense.

Agree with EnigmaRam on this and let him go with our best wishes and let us get a decent CB.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Buxton for this season, please no! :ph34r:

As I said last season, the guy has got loads of passion and that makes up for the lack of his defensive skill.

God help us if we are going to rely on Buxton at the helm of our defense.

Agree with EnigmaRam on this and let him go with our best wishes and let us get a decent CB.

He's cover - unless you are ditching Shackell and Keogh as well.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who you gonna get that's better than Bucko (when fit) to sit on our bench?

Rawson.

Buxton is a liability, yes I know great for psyching up the players etc, but a liability  at the back. Even I would come out of retirement and do a better job!

Please Buxton for cover for Keogh or Shacks, no way- better off putting in Rawson or a fit Fossie. Off loading both Pearce and Buxton and possibly bring in a suitable replacement, one NP knows will do a job for us.

Buxton is no more than a fringe squad player these days in terms of ability, especially if we have real aspirations to get to Prem. However I feel his team ethos and running through coals mentality to put on Rams shirt are exactly the qualities of the collective spirit Pearson is always keen to engender in his squads so will be interesting to see what happens to Jake. 

Archived