Euro 2016 Matchday 1 : v Russia

davenportram

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Dont want Vardy out wide to be honest. Seems like a real waste of his energy making him track back. Our centre midfield is far too bloated and we took too many strikers for me. I still believe we should have taken Townsend instead of Rashford as it is obvious Rashford is not going to play. Barkley can also play in Sterling's position, although he doesnt have the raw pace there like Sterling so the midfield will get a bit crowded with barkley always wanting to come inside whereas Sterling can go on the outside too. Decisions , decisions. Who'd be a football manager?

I think it's fair enough to take Rashford, would rather have him coming on than Sturridge at this point.

With Alli and Rooney playing CM Woy has absolutely overloaded the squad with central midfielders. Yet if Kane goes down who's coming in to play up front? Why did he only bring three proper centre backs when two had awful seasons? If we're going to play 4-3-3, why so few genuine wide players? A bit of a shame considering how he's set the team up.

That being said it's really easy to get too negative, realistically we played quite well for long spells. If Kane starts firing we could be quite formidable. And we should remember that if Payet hadn't had a moment of absolute briliance, the hosts and favourites France would be in the same situation as us.

23 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I think it's fair enough to take Rashford, would rather have him coming on than Sturridge at this point.

With Alli and Rooney playing CM Woy has absolutely overloaded the squad with central midfielders. Yet if Kane goes down who's coming in to play up front? Why did he only bring three proper centre backs when two had awful seasons? If we're going to play 4-3-3, why so few genuine wide players? A bit of a shame considering how he's set the team up.

That being said it's really easy to get too negative, realistically we played quite well for long spells. If Kane starts firing we could be quite formidable. And we should remember that if Payet hadn't had a moment of absolute briliance, the hosts and favourites France would be in the same situation as us.

But France did have a moment of brilliance and won, yet again we didn't . We played well against Itlay in Brazil and got nothing and in the end got knocked out. We need to start winning games in tournaments (won 3 in 11 I believe) otherwise it will be the same as always, going home very soon. 

Sterling has amazing balance and ability. And is so thick and greedy it's unreal.

Thought England were the most exciting team so far. Alli looks like a star. The pressing and the tempo way above what I last saw.

But why did they decide to let Russia come onto them. Proper case of Nigel Clough. "All our best play has been on the front foot. Let's sit back now instead".... Huh? Like a fighter winning 7 rounds then stopping punching. 

Sterling began killing momentum. He is just too stupid and greedy to play on the counter and with each wasted attack Russia found encouragement to take more risk. 

It was a shame to see the most promising team so far pooh their pants. 

For a moment international football was fun!

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Sterling has amazing balance and ability. And is so thick and greedy it's unreal.

Thought England were the most exciting team so far. Alli looks like a star. The pressing and the tempo way above what I last saw.

But why did they decide to let Russia come onto them. Proper case of Nigel Clough. "All our best play has been on the front foot. Let's sit back now instead".... Huh? Like a fighter winning 7 rounds then stopping punching. 

Sterling began killing momentum. He is just too stupid and greedy to play on the counter and with each wasted attack Russia found encouragement to take more risk. 

I actually thought Alli was disappointing last night. He is a great, player but is in danger of being overawed. Rooney can help him. I do worry when I see Alli in our penalty area. He is a terrible defender, especially in the air. Several times in the games he has played, it's his man that gets a header in, including last night when Danny Rose suddenly had to try to compensate and was found wanting.

But this is all part of Alli's development. He is exciting and I hope he will show off his skills as the tournament progresses. I think Wales is a good second fixture for us and whilst I worry about Bale's ability in the air I think our offensive players will be too good for them.

10 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

We started it as usual - Our so-called fans are scum.

No, Russian fans train for this sort of thing. Pretty certain they started it. 

Their team are a bunch of lucky buggers n'all, never deserved to draw and now their fans are getting away scott free.

10 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

I can say after this performance the following :ahem

Roy Hodgson - Should have been sacked years ago.

England fans - Should be deprived of their passports,cash cards taken away and taken to a desolate place and left to rot.

ITV - should never,ever,be allowed to present football or any other sport ever again.

Amen.

Roy has us playing some of the best football we have played in years with the youngest squad in the tournament. Yes we didn't see out a game which is frustrating. A game though that we had played really well in. For me their keeper was man of the match' he kept them in the game. If we play like that in our next 2 games I'm confident of 2 wins. 

Im not sure what more you want from an England manager? For ages we've wanted youth. For ages we've wanted an attacking system. We have both and had the game finished 1-0 I'm sure we'd all be sat agreeing that England have looked the most dangerous of all teams that have played so far.

would bringing on Vardy have made rose less susceptible to losing a header against someone a foot taller than him? Would drinkwater being in the squad have changed the outcome? 

What more can hodgson do? We are not blessed with world class talent but we do have some exciting young players who I trust him to nurture. 

I think his decision to play Rooney in the middle worked. Rooney played well. 

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Unbelievable how many times Sterling got into space and then ran back into trouble. The pass was always on, he just never made the pass. That's exactly what he's been doing for Man City as well. The ego has got to him. I foresee a season of nothingness for him under Guardiola.

Alli was decent but him and Kane were basically anonymous for large parts of the game, they're going to have to learn to battle in this tournament. I have confidence they will though.

I'm still confident about this tournament, I think we saw enough to say there's great potential in the squad. Just drop Sterling and play Sturridge, or summet. Anyone but Sterling.

54 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Roy has us playing some of the best football we have played in years with the youngest squad in the tournament. Yes we didn't see out a game which is frustrating. A game though that we had played really well in. For me their keeper was man of the match' he kept them in the game. If we play like that in our next 2 games I'm confident of 2 wins. 

Im not sure what more you want from an England manager? For ages we've wanted youth. For ages we've wanted an attacking system. We have both and had the game finished 1-0 I'm sure we'd all be sat agreeing that England have looked the most dangerous of all teams that have played so far.

would bringing on Vardy have made rose less susceptible to losing a header against someone a foot taller than him? Would drinkwater being in the squad have changed the outcome? 

What more can hodgson do? We are not blessed with world class talent but we do have some exciting young players who I trust him to nurture. 

I think his decision to play Rooney in the middle worked. Rooney played well. 

Exactly right.

they were superb, it is the first time I can remember watching England in 44 years that there isn't  at least 5 "big time Charlie's" in there. They are all (maybe with the exception of sterling) working for each other, the team is the most important element for them. 

We will destroy the great unwashed on Thursday  

any of the other nations that watched us will not want to play us that is for sure  

conceding the goal is a learning curve, they are the youngest team in the completion  and have to learn from mistakes like this and be able to see put games, it will come  

it's coming home...

1 hour ago, blackNwhites said:

Unbelievable how many times Sterling got into space and then ran back into trouble. The pass was always on, he just never made the pass. That's exactly what he's been doing for Man City as well. The ego has got to him. I foresee a season of nothingness for him under Guardiola.

Alli was decent but him and Kane were basically anonymous for large parts of the game, they're going to have to learn to battle in this tournament. I have confidence they will though.

I'm still confident about this tournament, I think we saw enough to say there's great potential in the squad. Just drop Sterling and play Sturridge, or summet. Anyone but Sterling.

Agree with all above except the Sturridge for Sterling (anyone but Sterling agreed!)

The biggest problem this side faces is that prat Woy and the yes men surrounding him, they are going to be the undoing of our potential. 

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Agree with all above except the Sturridge for Sterling (anyone but Sterling agreed!)

The biggest problem this side faces is that prat Woy and the yes men surrounding him, they are going to be the undoing of our potential. 

I'm a big fan of the 4-3-3, it's the formation that makes the most sense to me. I rather like seeing both Derby and England playing it, I feel like I know what's going on and I am entertained.

To drop Sterling is likely to see the end of the 4-3-3, I said it before the tournament started we seem to have a lack of wingers going. That was before Townsend was sent home.

Sturridge or Milner on the left side wing forward position. Sturridge if preferable if we're going to keep playing that way. Sterling was so bloody terrible I'd accept playing a different formation just so he doesn't get on the pitch.

I feel sorry for Milner, he's been abused so much as a utility man (stand up guy for doing as asked) but his best position is centre midfield. He's quality in the middle. Loads of competition in there though with Rooney, Alli, Wilshire, Henderson and Milner. Oh and Barkley, forgot he'd even gone.

If Sterling gets dropped, and Sturridge still benched it's likely Rooney will/should be dropped. Which is a shame because he played the best I've seen from him in years yesterday, he was very disciplined and the deeper CM position suits him perfectly. I think he's also more likely to score goals. He was unlucky yesterday. Should never have been subbed.

Roy has bought a lot of questions to answer for himself. But I hope he sticks with the 4-3-3 and plays Sturridge instead of Sterling. Sturridge has guaranteed end product.

7 minutes ago, Gritters said:

From what I can remember we did ok. I thought we were by far the better team. We should hammer Wales.

Should have hammered Russia but didn't so we'll see! Too many England fans show an arrogance which isn't justified.

3 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

Imagine if Pep teaches Sterling how to play though instead

He could be an incredible player. Probably one of the best. 

I have never seen much of Alli before. Heard the hype and seen the odd match. So I didn't know whether that was him at his best or worst. 

He looked good though. Seems to know where everyone is, has the ability to find them, unselfish, strong, perfect weight and timing on his passes. Just wanted to see more and more of him.

Such a shame on Sterling. What a wasted talent so far. He's sooo good and yet soooo counter productive!!

5 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

The prat Roy that has picked the youngest squad in true championship, full of dynamic, exciting players, playing really well, winning all their qualifying games, just beat Germany...yep, he is a prat.. Get a grip. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Imagine if Pep teaches Sterling how to play though instead

He could be an incredible player. Probably one of the best. 

I have never seen much of Alli before. Heard the hype and seen the odd match. So I didn't know whether that was him at his best or worst. 

He looked good though. Seems to know where everyone is, has the ability to find them, unselfish, strong, perfect weight and timing on his passes. Just wanted to see more and more of him.

Such a shame on Sterling. What a wasted talent so far. He's sooo good and yet soooo counter productive!!

Was great at Liverpool when still making a name for himself, but then he had Suarez and Sturridge to feed. 

That goal he scored against City was brilliant, I reckon that was the point his head bloated and he began to believe he was better than everyone else.

You're right about Pep though, but it depends entirely on Sterling and wether he can be brought back down to Earth.

All that was really missing last night was the ruthlessness. Which you need at international level, you're not going to get 4/5 glorious chances against the better teams. Need killer instinct.

Thought Rooney played well..... He is much maligned by our lot but he sacrifices his best position and also unselfishly realises his best days up top are behind him.

Dier is going to be some player...... 

I would be dropping Sterling and Lallana for next game. 

Archived