Euro 2016 Matchday 1 : v Russia

davenportram

Taking off attacking players for 'See out' defensive minded players. Then end up concending..

Where have we heard this before? Knew it was going to happen as soon as we made them changes and played deep. We've not got the best defense in the world defend from the front!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the mardiness and self entitlement continues.

We didn't take enough of the many chances we created.

We didn't bring another tall player on when they did.

One of our players didn't play well after the first 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, sage said:

I see the mardiness and self entitlement continues.

We didn't take enough of the many chances we created.

We didn't bring another tall player on when they did.

One of our players didn't play well after the first 30 minutes.

You forgot "The manager threw it away with his substitutions"

I really enjoyed the England game, we played so well and were enjoyable to watch for once. Rooney is fantastic on that role. Shame about the result but i'm confident having seen that. We just need to take a few more of our chances.

Bring on Wales.

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I was going to take issue with this comment but then realised that 36 hours on I couldn't really recall any memorable moments - goals apart. 

We seemed to run around a lot but didn't look that incisive against a team who came to defend. 

It's a shame about Roy. He develops some promise then too easily falls back on the tried and failed approach of the past.

I think he's boxed himself into a corner with his squad selection. The 2 alongside Kane didn't work. Lallana is intelligent but lacks pace and the converse is true of sterling. But not sure who else he has to play up front in a 433.

When something has not worked after 45 minutes, you look at your notes to see which players are ineffective and what is wrong with the shape of the team. Sterling should have been taken off at HT to give Sturridge a game. Kane was poor and Vardy could have gone on at HT. Lallana should not have played. Drinkwater should have been available for Rooney. When you keep it the same and then change it after 60 mins it is because you lack courage. If you change it after 75 it smacks of not knowing what the problem was.

Harte is always going to let us down in big games where one goal from a good side is good enough to beat us because the game us very tight. Against crap sides he is fine because we can always score to cancel the goal out.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

When something has not worked after 45 minutes, you look at your notes to see which players are ineffective and what is wrong with the shape of the team. Sterling should have been taken off at HT to give Sturridge a game. Kane was poor and Vardy could have gone on at HT. Lallana should not have played. Drinkwater should have been available for Rooney. When you keep it the same and then change it after 60 mins it is because you lack courage. If you change it after 75 it smacks of not knowing what the problem was.

So many things to take issue with there.

Why would you make 2 changes at ht at 0-0 when you are dominating a game and creating chances?

Sterling played well for 30 minutes, so it wasn't such an obvious decision at that time.

If you are going to bring Vardy and Sturridge on at HT in what formation? Sturridge playing LM and Vardy on hs own up front ? Vice versa? Change formation? if so, what to?

Lallana was one of our best players

Complete arrogance to suggest that any manager who doesn't change a system at ht in a 0-0 game you are dominating lacks courage.

Drinkwater would not have made any difference. He isn't a better player than Wilshere who did well when he came on.

The issues where for me...

Sterling only played well for 30 minutes then his decision making was poor. However having decided to go with the diamond we haven't brought any more wingers and have changed back to 433.

We created enough chances to win the game but didn't take them. Just the one.

When they brought a big player on to go more direct we didn't and ended up with a mismatch.

Some of the players Alli, Kane, Vardy spring to mind have had the season of their lives and are now in their first ever tournament. They are past their peak physically and mentally and aren't in the form they were months, maybe even weeks ago.

Regardless of any good ideas put forward, it pretty much turned out the way that I thought that it would in the second half. I decided at half time that Sterling should be off and Vardy should be on for Kane. I was amazed that we scored, but not surprised that it was not from open play. From 55 mins I thought that we might concede. At 1-0 it is always more likely that as time ran out that they might get a lucky break. The guy that scored was nearly a foot taller than our two defenders. When a tall guy comes on it means a header is on its way. Hello. Four or five players in the squad would have been an improvement on Sterling. I would have brought on Sturridge and with Vardy and him, I think that we would have scored from similar chances. I would not have taken Rooney off. I have watched hundreds of games when it did not go the way that the manager wanted in the first 45 mins so they wheel the same eleven out for at least another 15 minutes and we are worse off at 60 mins and sometimes a goal down because the other team wised up at half time and are doing better. In last thirty minutes, often the momentum is not recaptured.or improved. Vardy was more likely to score in 45 minutes than in 20 minutes. Kane did not improve, Sterling got worse. If you are missing chances galore, put other proven goalscorers on the pitch to do the job. If you are winning 1-0 with five minutes to go, get ten men behind the ball and get stuck in defending. Also leave Vardy up front to make it 2-0 from a big boot up field. Everyone has an opinion. Too much emphasis on formations. Players on form in the game win games.

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. If we had done what I thought at half time, I am pretty certain that we would have fared better. Now, with hindsight, I still hold the same view. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

So many things to take issue with there.

Why would you make 2 changes at ht at 0-0 when you are dominating a game and creating chances?

Sterling played well for 30 minutes, so it wasn't such an obvious decision at that time.

If you are going to bring Vardy and Sturridge on at HT in what formation? Sturridge playing LM and Vardy on hs own up front ? Vice versa? Change formation? if so, what to?

Lallana was one of our best players

Complete arrogance to suggest that any manager who doesn't change a system at ht in a 0-0 game you are dominating lacks courage.

Drinkwater would not have made any difference. He isn't a better player than Wilshere who did well when he came on.

The issues where for me...

Sterling only played well for 30 minutes then his decision making was poor. However having decided to go with the diamond we haven't brought any more wingers and have changed back to 433.

We created enough chances to win the game but didn't take them. Just the one.

When they brought a big player on to go more direct we didn't and ended up with a mismatch.

Some of the players Alli, Kane, Vardy spring to mind have had the season of their lives and are now in their first ever tournament. They are past their peak physically and mentally and aren't in the form they were months, maybe even weeks ago.

Only thing I'll disagree with is Lallanna. But otherwise spot on for me

Archived