Pearson signs 3 year deal

Rample

Nigel Pearson  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

But how did people know, if he had never managed? People had made their minds up, made a judgement call, hung, drawn and quartered the chap before a ball had been kicked, purely and simply on the first 45 minutes against Ipswich a couple of seasons ago.

Perhaps not hypocrisy, but it sure as hell was down to certain Derby fans having a Forest-level sense of entitlement.

It's not about Wassall, it's about rookie managers.

I felt that Clement should never have gotten the job, or Phil Brown, or Colin Murphy or John Newman.

In truth, I wouldn't have been overjoyed about a loudmouth from Hartlepools had I been born, but at least I'm consistent - often wrong, but always consistent.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Pearson gets time because he's proven to be worth it.

Wassall has no track record, so there's no reason to believe that he would have ever succeeded. 

It's harsh on Wassall, but this club (or the thirty or so others of a similar size or bigger) should not be hiring rookie managers.

Makes no sense to me.

We will give him more time because he had success with someone in the past but we won't give one of our own any time because he has never won anything in the past?!

Anyway, hope come next May it is all irrelevant.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

And if this appointment doesn't work out right what then? 

Do we give Pearson the same treatment as Wassall? Or do we turn in MM again and accuse him of ruining our club again?

I'm happy with the appointment but it will be very interesting to see how the fans react if things are not going as they hoped come November / December.

Can't speak for anybody else but I will be patient with Pearson simply because his track record shows he has talent at this level and above if given time , with wassell or clement I don't have a clue , so in short it might not work out for Pearson and Derby but with wass you don't even know if he's got it as well as it may not work with Derby even if he has ? Shame for wass but it's fact , Derby not the job to cut his teeth and be given time to produce what we don't even know if he's capable of

3 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Just watched his controversial Leicester ostrich & Pat Murphey interview videos on YouTube, at the time I thought he was an arrogant *****, now he's a Ram I think he was immense and was backing his players to the hilt, funny how opinions can change when he's one of our own now!

Indeed, he's a loony, but he's our loony. I hope that as many people that can attend the first home game next season in ostrich costumes - and I hope that Pearson takes it as the affectionate mickey taking that it would be. 

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

But how did people know, if he had never managed? People had made their minds up, made a judgement call, hung, drawn and quartered the chap before a ball had been kicked, purely and simply on the first 45 minutes against Ipswich a couple of seasons ago.

Perhaps not hypocrisy, but it sure as hell was down to certain Derby fans having a Forest-level sense of entitlement.

People made their minds up though based on his CV, which showed no mange rial experience, that why they said he wasn't up to the job....and they were proved right.  Why is that down to any sort of entitlement, and let's not forget it was MM who also doesn't think he is right for the job, it's not the fans that have made Pearson manager.

Other posters have said the same but I'll repeat it now. I just don't understand all this about Wassall. He took the manager's role until the end of the season. So far as I know there was never any intention for him to be considered as the manager for the next season. 

Well I get the feeling there might be couple of players who wished they'd performed a bit better for Wassall because life might become uncomfortable for them under this new bloke. I'm looking forward to Shackell giving it the big 'un to Pearson as well like he did to Wassall up at Rotherham.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Makes no sense to me.

We will give him more time because he had success with someone in the past but we won't give one of our own any time because he has never won anything in the past?!

Anyway, hope come next May it is all irrelevant.

Surely it's like that in any job. If a newcomer screws up they're likely to get the sack, but someone with a proven track record is likely to be treated far more leniently. 

OK, Wassall didn't exactly make a mess of things, but he didn't cover himself in glory either. At one point things were pretty bad and Mel had to bring in Redknapp to avert a complete disaster.

If your firm had a secretary who desperately wanted to move into bean counting and after passing some exams that person was given a short term contract in auditing, but they struggled so much that one of the senior partners had to check over all their work, what would you expect to happen?

Like many on here, I think this is about as good a scenario as we could have envisaged a week ago. A popular choice as manager, an arguably even more popular choice as number 2 & the retention of a guy who did a damn good job in the last 3 months of the season. Well done Mel, Sam & especially Mr Wassall - takes a big man to stand aside for the greater good.

What I'm particularly excited about Pearson is the fact he will feel he has a point to prove. I'm reading a lot of posts from people debating the virtue of experience vs the raw hunger of a first time manager (like Wassall) and the truth is, prior success is a good indicator of future success but not a guarantee. Look at Paul Jewell or the various travails of Ian Holloway. Pearson however has just spent a year watching what was basically his team win the Premier League, after being ditched for events away from the pitch. I bet he's absolutely seething & I really think Derby could reap the benefit of that. No danger of him being here for an easy payday or going through the motions.

I don't like him as a person, but if he gets us winning then I'll care that bit less....also I'm suprised we got chris powell as an assistant...? anyone else a bit suprised?

though can't wait for him to start shifting a few players like Bent, pearce, shotton, baird, albentosa(lets be real, this guy looked good but i guess he just doesnt like england..).....................taking all bets on his first signing :D, who do you think it will be?

What will his preferred formation be? in all honesty I didnt follow him much previous, does anyone know what formation he likes and how he likes his team to play? All I can remember is going to leicester the season they were promoted and getting smashed 4-1 :(

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

People made their minds up though based on his CV, which showed no mange rial experience, that why they said he wasn't up to the job....and they were proved right.  Why is that down to any sort of entitlement, and let's not forget it was MM who also doesn't think he is right for the job, it's not the fans that have made Pearson manager.

If CVs are the complete measure of a person then Pearson was never the stand out candidate and we have made a huge mistake in not appointing Neil Warnock.

Not sure how any of the DW haters have been 'proved right'. He was given the task of keeping us in the play offs and improving the football. He suceeded in both. Given the morale and style of play when he took over I think MM realised they were probably the only realistic targets to set.

Just to avoid confusion I will go on record to say that I believe replacing DW with NP is a good move.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If CVs are the complete measure of a person then Pearson was never the stand out candidate and we have made a huge mistake in not appointing Neil Warnock.

Not sure how any of the DW haters have been 'proved right'. He was given the task of keeping us in the play offs and improving the football. He suceeded in both. Given the morale and style of play when he took over I think MM realised they were probably the only realistic targets to set.

Just to avoid confusion I will go on record to say that I believe replacing DW with NP is a good move.

Did Warnock apply ? I'm sure there are a few of managers out there with better CVs than Pearson but it's irrelevant if they didn't want the job?

im pretty sure that during his video around sacking PC, Morris said that Wassall would be judged on the same points as PC, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure he did.  Given that he brought in an experienced person to help him out, had to me an admission that he was struggling to do that.   

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Did Warnock apply ? I'm sure there are a few of managers out there with better CVs than Pearson but it's irrelevant if they didn't want the job?

im pretty sure that during his video around sacking PC, Morris said that Wassall would be judged on the same points as PC, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure he did.  Given that he brought in an experienced person to help him out, had to me an admission that he was struggling to do that.   

I'm led to believe that Warnock was interviewed last week but have no hard evidence to support that.

I think Redknapp being brought in was blown out of proportion, Wassall wanted a helping hand and got it. Is Pearson bringing Chris Powell in an issue?

I haven't read all the posts, but I just want to say that this is a brilliant appointment for Derby. Pearson became City manager at the lowest point in our history, and over the next seven years - in two separate stints - he gave the fans something to be really proud of. Ignore all the nonsense about ostriches and telling fans to f*** off and look at the players he found and the teams he built. I'm not saying he's going to do big things in the first season, but Derby have been there or thereabouts for a while, so there is clearly a core to build on.

And he has Kevin Phillips and Chris Powell, both of whom he appointed as coaches at City. It would also not surprise me to see him snooping around the City squad for some players who aren't getting game time but who are still bloody good. Matty James, Liam Moore, Marcin Wasilewski and Richie de Laet are all top-class players who he might try and bring in.

Give him time, give him support and ignore his reputation (it's not deserved). Premier League in two years or less.

2 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

I haven't read all the posts, but I just want to say that this is a brilliant appointment for Derby. Pearson became City manager at the lowest point in our history, and over the next seven years - in two separate stints - he gave the fans something to be really proud of. Ignore all the nonsense about ostriches and telling fans to f*** off and look at the players he found and the teams he built. I'm not saying he's going to do big things in the first season, but Derby have been there or thereabouts for a while, so there is clearly a core to build on.

And he has Kevin Phillips and Chris Powell, both of whom he appointed as coaches at City. It would also not surprise me to see him snooping around the City squad for some players who aren't getting game time but who are still bloody good. Matty James, Liam Moore, Marcin Wasilewski and Richie de Laet are all top-class players who he might try and bring in.

Give him time, give him support and ignore his reputation (it's not deserved). Premier League in two years or less.

tbh a lot of us know his rants were pre meditated, done on purpose to take the attention away from the players. I've just watched your 2013/14 promotion season on youtube and some of the buildup play was fantastic, so for any rams worrying about "hoofball" we needn't worry on that evidence, the football was pretty good, after all it got them 102 points and nearly 90 goals, not exactly poor is it lol. 

19 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

tbh a lot of us know his rants were pre meditated, done on purpose to take the attention away from the players. I've just watched your 2013/14 promotion season on youtube and some of the buildup play was fantastic, so for any rams worrying about "hoofball" we needn't worry on that evidence, the football was pretty good, after all it got them 102 points and nearly 90 goals, not exactly poor is it lol. 

I'm not sure his rants were premeditated, although you are right that he did everything he could to take the pressure off the players. In all the time he was City's manager, he never blamed the players for a bad result, which I thought was a good attitude. On the other hand, he won't tolerate players who don't give 100%.

I think Pearson's big problem when he was a Premier League manager is that he had to do a pre-match press conference and a post-match press conference and he hated it. When he was in the Championship, he let Craig Shakespeare take the press when we won - Pearson only did the press conferences when we lost - and he was much more comfortable with that. Fact is that he thinks most journalists are idiots who don't understand the game, and unfortunately he finds it difficult to hide his feelings!

19 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

I'm not sure his rants were premeditated, although you are right that he did everything he could to take the pressure off the players. In all the time he was City's manager, he never blamed the players for a bad result, which I thought was a good attitude. On the other hand, he won't tolerate players who don't give 100%.

I think Pearson's big problem when he was a Premier League manager is that he had to do a pre-match press conference and a post-match press conference and he hated it. When he was in the Championship, he let Craig Shakespeare take the press when we won - Pearson only did the press conferences when we lost - and he was much more comfortable with that. Fact is that he thinks most journalists are idiots who don't understand the game, and unfortunately he finds it difficult to hide his feelings!

I honestly know very little about NP or being a football manager except from an armchair. BUT ... one thing for certain ... Good people managers don't blame their team in public. ( sure he does in private as any boss might) So this is heartening news. As is a manager who stands up to be counted when there is bad news. So French fox .. Thanks for this encourgimg news :)

Archived