Diesel vs. Petrol

Due to the amount of conflicting advice out there, I ask people of real world experience..

At what point do diesel cars become unviable?

I'm looking for a car - Fiesta size or similar - used, under £7k, that is as happy around town as it is on the odd occasion down the motorway. I do about 40 miles a day to and from work, and sometimes work will take me to the ends of the country, last month I did Carlisle and Cardiff in the space of a week. Most of the time it will be just me in it, my girlfriend will drive it once a week, and I've got a bigger people carrier at the moment for load lugging, so I don't need owt massive.

Recommendations?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If work sends you somewhere around the country don't you get your mileage back?

If you go by 40 miles per day * 5 = 200 miles plus 100 outside of work that's less then a full tank a week. I'd probably look at going for petrol.

If you wanted a great diesel in your price range look no further than a Seat Ibiza FR - a fantastic diesel motor with a bit of poke!

Since I've bought cars I've never actually owned one. The interest all goes to the bank and then there's the depreciation. Personal choice but for less than £250'a month you could have a focus ST3 worth £26k. Add an extra £220 a month for the equivalent loan to purchase. Factor in the depreciation and interest and your £10k down before you even get to the petrol station to fill it up for the first time.

works for me, but not if you like to keep your car for a long time.

Have a look at a KIA Ceed/Pro-ceed. £7k should get you a decent one with some of the 7 year manufacturers warranty left on it.

As for Petrol v Diesel, I think it's probably a lot closer in terms of cost than it used to be and more about persopnal preference. petrol cars are now more efficient and dielsels don't cost as much to maintain as they used to.

Quite a nice feeling having a car which shifts and still get 55mpg+, and being able to do 500mi on a tank... rather than managing about 330mi on a tank and getting nothing like the mpg.

if you tend to drive locally a diesel works out more efficient, if you do a lot of motorway mileage the petrol claws that efficiency back, I hate filling up diesel though, how hard is it to make a diesel pump that doesn't leak diesel.

53 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

if you tend to drive locally a diesel works out more efficient, if you do a lot of motorway mileage the petrol claws that efficiency back, I hate filling up diesel though, how hard is it to make a diesel pump that doesn't leak diesel.

Agree on the second point, but I'm surprised on the first? Diesel does a lot better on mpg at cruising mileage. Does me so much better going down the A38 every day than a petrol did.

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Agree on the second point, but I'm surprised on the first? Diesel does a lot better on mpg at cruising mileage. Does me so much better going down the A38 every day than a petrol did.

Well yeah I thought the same, I'm sure I read somewhere about diesel becoming less efficient at speed, I might be wrong :whistle:

The general rule of thumb regarding diesel or petrol engined cars is below 15/16k miles pa petrol above then diesel.

The Kia's with a 7 year warranty is a great shout if you are not snobbish about brand image. The Hyundia i10 has a 5 year warranty and is available for around 8k brand new

@Animal is a Ram , fiesta size ? Get a fiesta , you will get a nice spec one for that money . Zetec s if you like the sportier look or if you like your refinement go for a titanium model . From what you've described a diesel would be more viable 12000 miles a year plus your occasional long trips will take you closer to 15000 . On the diesel you will get between 48 to 61 mpg in both the 1.4 tdci and 1.6 tdci variants . Petrol 32 to 45 mpg from the 1.6 petrol . 1.25 would be too underpowered for motorway use and the 1.0 ecoboost will probably be out the £7k price range . Other things to bare in mind there generally seems to be a higher cost involved with repairing a diesel I. E higher service costs and more things to go wrong DPFS ,  turbos , injectors and dual mass flywheels (not trying to scare you off and although the above do fail it's not a regular occurrence) . 

Have a fleet of vehicles, both diesel and petrol,personally drive a v8 petrol.

Diesels genrally cost more to service and alot of initial advantages of diesel over petrol have long since diminished.

Diesel not cheap ,diesel engine cars genrally more expensive to buy,certainly dearer to service and petrol cars becoming more economical.

Personally i would go for petrol everytime,the only diesels i have are Sprinter vans 2.2 ltr engines 3 ton load capacity 30 mpg and. £125 road tax.

Choose a car for size ,comfort ,style. Practicality And personal taste rather than disel or petrol being the main factor

If your daily drive is stop start or up and down in terms of speed I'd say petrol. If you get to cruise at 50+ I'd look for a small engine diesel, max 1.6. I get well over 60mpg in my fiesta econetic, if I drive fairly conservatively (and can touch 70mpg on occasion)

Went to Liverpool and back at the weekend, 400 miles my 207 shows 64.1 mpg from the computer, 598 miles total trip now & not on the fuel light yet! £30 to tax too.

Judging from what you've said you won't be, but if you plan on doing a lot of short trips don't get a diesel. Not sure where all the dearer to service post have all come from but I get the oil and all filters for about £40 

Never liked the lack of throttle response on diesels no matter how clever they are but I'd say if you are doing more than 12,000 miles a year then it has to be diesel. The only rider being if the govt decides to change the tax regime.

Also if you have any sort of regular journey that involves cruising at a constant speed then diesel is more economic by some distance. Boring in the extreme but small diesel sounds like the right thing to do. 

Archived