Diesel vs. Petrol

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/05/2016 at 15:33, LesterRam said:

if you tend to drive locally a diesel works out more efficient, if you do a lot of motorway mileage the petrol claws that efficiency back, I hate filling up diesel though, how hard is it to make a diesel pump that doesn't leak diesel.

I thought short journeys were not so good for a diesel. Anyways the dpf issue is enough to put me off. I believe 10 years ago, diesel engines were much less complicated (I had one...never let me down) but it's a different matter now.

Not had a petrol motor for years now, just love the performance / economy of a good turbo diesel.

Got two in our household, run around is a 60 plate Yaris, 33k on the clock and is averaging 62 mpg.
Surprisingly quick for an old mans type of car and is just as happy on the motorway as it is in town.
Big car (away games motorway mileage eater - you may have been passed by it :whistle: ) is a BMW 330d. Just an absolute joy to drive, effortless performance from that bad boy 6 cyl motor and it averages 45 mpg.

21 hours ago, Barnsley_Ram said:

Not had a petrol motor for years now, just love the performance / economy of a good turbo diesel.

Got two in our household, run around is a 60 plate Yaris, 33k on the clock and is averaging 62 mpg.
Surprisingly quick for an old mans type of car and is just as happy on the motorway as it is in town.
Big car (away games motorway mileage eater - you may have been passed by it :whistle: ) is a BMW 330d. Just an absolute joy to drive, effortless performance from that bad boy 6 cyl motor and it averages 45 mpg.

Very true and that BMW engine is sweet. I have a 5 pot 2.4 Alfa turbo diesel .. Goes like a train with great gobs of torque. Sounds like a V8 under load and is really creamy .. But if the environment and a wallet weren't important I'd still go petrol for the throttle response .. I don't mean 30 to  50 or 50-70 .. It's the pulling away from a tricky junction and the instant zing that petrol gives 

19 hours ago, jono said:

Very true and that BMW engine is sweet. I have a 5 pot 2.4 Alfa turbo diesel .. Goes like a train with great gobs of torque. Sounds like a V8 under load and is really creamy .. But if the environment and a wallet weren't important I'd still go petrol for the throttle response .. I don't mean 30 to  50 or 50-70 .. It's the pulling away from a tricky junction and the instant zing that petrol gives 

The only diesel I've had an issue with the throttle response is a KIA I had before my current car. It was quite bad, though & the turbo lag made a quick getaway at a junction nigh on impossible.

I've had 3 VW/Audi diesels and now have a BMW 320d and they've all been good - especially the beemer in sport mode - a cracking motor.

On 25/05/2016 at 22:35, Barnsley_Ram said:

Yes, indicates left, pulls out right, overtakes, brakes, chucks chips out the window, chops me off and zips into the services.

That one?

;)

34 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The odd 118/120d keep popping up - anyone had experience with one of those?

I've had a 118d in the past and it was a good car. Not huge but bigger than a Fiesta. I'd go for the 120d if you can - just because it'll be that bit quicker (same engine but more powerfully tuned). The 118 was still nippy though.

Good advice would be to go for a 57 plate or later if you can. Earlier BMW's (various models) had a bit of a reputation for timing chain failure (seriously expensive if it fails) but it was sorted in 2007.

Cheap to run too. £35 tax (at the time) and good mpg.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Yes, indicates left, pulls out right, overtakes, brakes, chucks chips out the window, chops me off and zips into the services.

That one?

;)

Not sure about the indicating bit Eddie, thought they were a bit expensive on the options list so I didn't bother going for them ;)

On 27 May 2016 at 15:49, Wolfie said:

The only diesel I've had an issue with the throttle response is a KIA I had before my current car. It was quite bad, though & the turbo lag made a quick getaway at a junction nigh on impossible.

I've had 3 VW/Audi diesels and now have a BMW 320d and they've all been good - especially the beemer in sport mode - a cracking motor.

In the grand scheme of things I agree *almost* ... but It's not turbo lag that is the issue. It's the area in the rev range when the turbo is almost irrelevant. My Alfa is awesome when it has anything above 1000 / 1200 RPM going. As are most modern TD's

It's compression ignition versus spark ignition. Once your rolling current generation turbo diesels are almost peerless and big grunty ones are quite frankly amazing. But... 

It's 0-10 mph, the quick dart in slow traffic. A petrol from standstill reacts more quickly in the first milliseconds .. After that it's diesel all the way. I just like a hair trigger that only petrol can give ( or electric ! ) but from a wallet and overall performance per pound POV diesels are more effective

On 29/05/2016 at 20:44, jono said:

It's 0-10 mph, the quick dart in slow traffic. A petrol from standstill reacts more quickly in the first milliseconds .. After that it's diesel all the way. I just like a hair trigger that only petrol can give ( or electric ! ) but from a wallet and overall performance per pound POV diesels are more effective

I get you. Though it's been so long since I've driven a petrol I think I've forgotten what it's like.

Until I got my current 320d, I also always said I'd never have an automatic because it would take the fun out of driving but I don't think I'd go back to a manual now. You can over-ride & change gear if you want to but I never do - it manages to time gear changes to perfection in the various driving modes, so why bother?. I've surprised myself with that change of heart.

21 hours ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

I get you. Though it's been so long since I've driven a petrol I think I've forgotten what it's like.

Until I got my current 320d, I also always said I'd never have an automatic because it would take the fun out of driving but I don't think I'd go back to a manual now. You can over-ride & change gear if you want to but I never do - it manages to time gear changes to perfection in the various driving modes, so why bother?. I've surprised myself with that change of heart.

Yes Wolfie .. I do agree it is funny how your perceptions change. I could have wept when I had to buy a diesel a few years back, purely and simply on fuel cost. I got tired of a cooking 1.9TD and ended up with my 2.4JTDM auto. diesel torque goes so well with auto waft-ability. I laugh at myself .. Jono .. In a diesel AND an automatic, never imagined that happening but your right it's effortless. I'd still like a nimble screaming petrol but these days with traffic and regulations it's as you say ..why bother :)

On 02/06/2016 at 13:49, jono said:

Yes Wolfie .. I do agree it is funny how your perceptions change. I could have wept when I had to buy a diesel a few years back, purely and simply on fuel cost. I got tired of a cooking 1.9TD and ended up with my 2.4JTDM auto. diesel torque goes so well with auto waft-ability. I laugh at myself .. Jono .. In a diesel AND an automatic, never imagined that happening but your right it's effortless. I'd still like a nimble screaming petrol but these days with traffic and regulations it's as you say ..why bother :)

I've just had a test drive in an auto, 1st time I'd driven one and it took a few minutes to stop the left arm and leg grasping thin air!

The salesman had to show me how to put it in gear and start the engine.:D

Half hour later, newly converted and ticking the (expensive) option box!

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I've just had a test drive in an auto, 1st time I'd driven one and it took a few minutes to stop the left arm and leg grasping thin air!

The salesman had to show me how to put it in gear and start the engine.:D

Half hour later, newly converted and ticking the (expensive) option box!

What you gone for ?

10 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Leon cupra 290 DSG 3 Dr, I don't see my license remaining clean for long!

They've got the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel too haven't they ? Really nice when your fancying a back Lane blast ! And no a 290 bhp car , not a chance ! 

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

They've got the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel too haven't they ? Really nice when your fancying a back Lane blast ! And no a 290 bhp car , not a chance ! 

Yeah they have, didn't use them was too busy trying not to mess myself when stamping on the throttle!

290 ps (286bhp), not that I'll ever get near using them all, track days excepted. 

Massive difference from the 180bhp I'm driving atm.

In 3 months time, when you see a bright blue car stuck in a hedge, check I'm all right will you!

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Yeah they have, didn't use them was too busy trying not to mess myself when stamping on the throttle!

290 ps (286bhp), not that I'll ever get near using them all, track days excepted. 

Massive difference from the 180bhp I'm driving atm.

In 3 months time, when you see a bright blue car stuck in a hedge, check I'm all right will you!

I'll keep my eye out !  , have fun ? ! 

Archived