What is your strategy for us getting promoted next season?

Rampage

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:29, Rampage said:

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager?

Q2. How many players do we need for next season?

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season?

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad?

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season?

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season?

Q1 Warburton, but keep Wassell in the set up

Q2 The same amount going on our luck with long term injuries to key players

Q3 Ask Mel ?

Q4 No we just have to send some of the young fringe players out on loan

Q5 Shouldn't this be every clubs aim, its certainly one of Mel's

Q6 We can because if we want the better players to build a team around and Mel's money could keep them at Derby

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brendon Rogers spent £299 million in seven transfer windows at Liverpool!. The net outflow of cash on transfers was £113.5 million. He has now moved to Celtic where that sort of money does not exist. In the last two seasons they have made a profit of about£10 million a year. He has signed a one year rolling contract. He would probably have had a bigger budget with us.Strange world. Interesting to watch that one.

21 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Brendon Rogers spent £299 million in seven transfer windows at Liverpool!. The net outflow of cash on transfers was £113.5 million. He has now moved to Celtic where that sort of money does not exist. In the last two seasons they have made a profit of about£10 million a year. He has signed a one year rolling contract. He would probably have had a bigger budget with us.Strange world. Interesting to watch that one.

His CV requires some trophy winning I guess. What better place to do it than SPL..... But look out Brendan there's an old adversary arrived in town next season! 

APPEARANCES (inc Cups and sub apps)

Johnny RUSSELL - 50

Jason SHACKELL - 50

Richard KEOGH - 49

Chris MARTIN - 49

Tom INCE - 46

Cyrus CHRISTIE - 45

Jacob BUTTERFIELD - 40

Scott CARSON - 39

George THORNE - 36

Jeff HENDRICK - 35

Andreas WEIMANN - 33

Bradley JOHNSON - 33

Darren BENT - 25

Craig BRYSON - 24

Jamie HANSON - 19

Marcus OLSSON - 18

Nick BLACKMAN - 17

Chris BAIRD - 16

Craig FORSYTH - 13

Lee GRANT - 11

Will HUGHES - 8

Abdoul CAMARA - 7

Jake BUXTON - 4

Jonathan MITCHELL - 1

Max LOWE - 0

26 minutes ago, davenportram said:

id sell ince. Too wasteful, occasional great goal but not enough to justify carrying him.

Or play him where he can have a bigger influence on the game.

Mind you he doesn't run around like a headless chicken so he will never do enough for some 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Mind you he doesn't run around like a headless chicken so he will never do enough for some 

Same as Martin

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

its not about running round for me either. Ince wastes possession. Its that simple. He looks good in a dominant team because that wastage isn't as noticeable, but in a close game or where your chasing a result those pointless shots where he tries to shoot through 4 defenders are just wasteful.

25 minutes ago, davenportram said:

its not about running round for me either. Ince wastes possession. Its that simple. He looks good in a dominant team because that wastage isn't as noticeable, but in a close game or where your chasing a result those pointless shots where he tries to shoot through 4 defenders are just wasteful.

Bit like Ipswich game..... Or Leeds away, or Brizzle City away to name but a few. However do get sentiment from time to time, same could be said of any players like him 

On 5/20/2016 at 08:32, CornwallRam said:

Q1 - Nigel Pearson

Q2 - However many Pearson wants

Q3 - As much as Pearson feels is needed without causing financial problems for the club.

Q4 - Depends what Pearson thinks of the squad

Q5 - Depends what Pearson thinks of the U21 players

Q6 - Depends on what bids come in and whether Pearson believes he can use the money to improve the squad overall.

If Pearson is not available then substitute his name for Howe, Dyche, Warburton, Hughton, Warnock, Rogers, Martinez, Bruce, Holloway etc. The point is, the strategy for promotion is to get the best manager available and let him run the football side of the club.

the two teams that are mentioned when we think about realistically what we could achieve are Southampton and Swansea. Neither have a manager who has full autonomy over signings and the whole football side of things. It's a dangerous game to play.

Consider that you let Pearson come in and he changes everything football related to suit his views. We do ***** and he is sacked with us languishing mid-table. The next manager who comes in has to start from scratch. 

At both southampton and swansea this isn't the case. When one manager is replaced they fit nicely into the gap left by the previous manager and things go on as they were. 

Id like a striker to challenge martin or be as good as when he's injured or not on form & an experienced, championship, big horrible bully in defensive midfield. I think sometimes we play fantastic pretty football but in some games a bully would be ideal to win the ball, pass it to our better players and get the other lads going

i think we just need tweeking and the squad is largely good enough. On our day we're unstoppable but when were off it we look like we cannot buy a win, its them days we need a good defensive midfielder to give as good as we get 

38 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

the two teams that are mentioned when we think about realistically what we could achieve are Southampton and Swansea. Neither have a manager who has full autonomy over signings and the whole football side of things. It's a dangerous game to play.

Consider that you let Pearson come in and he changes everything football related to suit his views. We do ***** and he is sacked with us languishing mid-table. The next manager who comes in has to start from scratch. 

At both southampton and swansea this isn't the case. When one manager is replaced they fit nicely into the gap left by the previous manager and things go on as they were. 

I'm not sure that Southampton do use a head coach model. I'm led to believe that their manager has pretty complete control - Koeman's title is manager and he brought in several members of staff with him. All they have done is to select managers that are happy to play in the same style as the previous one. That's proper continuity, not taking away footballing decisions from footballing people.

You mention starting from scratch if Pearson fails. Why would that be different if Wassall is appointed and the club bring in another six players who don't work out? The difference is that such a scenario is unlikely to happen if Pearson is the manager and very likely if Wassall is the head coach.

On 19/05/2016 at 21:29, Rampage said:

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

Q1- Redknapp with Wassall as assistant intrigues me but I wouldn't mind Markus Weinzierl (Augsburg) or Flores

Q2- RB cover, DM cover and a quick right side attacker like Alan Judge

Q3- If we move on Shotton, Pierce, Buxton, Albentosa, Blackman, Baird and Grant then not a lot, 7 or 8 mil maybe?

Q4- Like others have said, clearing out the fringe players and just buying one or two for essential areas is not a major overhaul, just tweaking. The core of the first team is very good.

Q5- Yes, if they don't play how will we know? Hanson hasn't done so badly when he's had the rare opportunity, and he can cover more than one position.

Q6- Yes, for the same reasons as everyone else. Thorne won't be bid for because of his injury and Hughes needs a good injury free year. Of course, if someone offers silly money then maybe it would be considered.

I'd like to see Camera stay and get some game time, defenders hate pace don't they?

On 5/19/2016 at 21:29, Rampage said:

Q1: Nigel Pearson, the players would be scared of him and he wouldn't get any bs from the stroppy Chris Martin

Q2: 6, backup goalkeeper, backup right back, backup cdm, striker with pace, two proper wingers

Q3: 10-15 million but that's including sales of the fringe players

Q4: middle ground, the current crop haven't got us promoted for 3 years which suggests they aren't good enough but wholesale changes may result in a slow start to next season

Q5: I'd like to think we would. I'd like to see both Zanzala and Elsnik given a chance in the cup games

Q6: Had it not been for Hughes' injury, he would have been a certainty to leave this summer but not now. To put this in the nicest way possible with Thorne, he is an injury crop so I can't see any premier league team wanting him, especially as he was given away by West Brom for being a crop.

1.Pearson, as already mentioned he's doe it before, I no its no guarantees, but he knows what is required.

2. That's for the new coach to decide, only thing for certain is some will go and the coach will bring others in that he thinks will do the job.

3. Got no idea, again depends on the new coach, what is thinks we need.

4.Tweak

5.If the current 1st team players are not good enough for promotion what makes us think any of the unexperienced under 21's would be?

Although I am all for introducing one or two under 21's as subs in games, if the new coach thinks they can make the grade.

6.Yep, cannot see any of the big clubs coming in for either [good players but not top 8 prem league]

COYR

35 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

This isn't football manager

Stop trying to cause another argument, remind me how many players we got last season? We need a backup keeper with Grant's contract running out. We have 2 strong left backs in fozzy and olsson so I think it's necessary to have another rb to compete with Christie as Hanson and Baird are not the answers in that position. We have needed a proper cdm for years with Thorne being an injury crop. We haven't got proper wingers here, Camara is the only one but he hasn't been given a chance. 

Archived