What is your strategy for us getting promoted next season?

Rampage

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager?

Q2. How many players do we need for next season?

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season?

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad?

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season?

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rampage said:

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

Q1. Pearson

Q2. A fast striker and a CDM (assuming we'll play with one)

Q3. £5mill

Q4. move on the obvious

Q5. If they are good enough, yes

Q6. Thorne yes, Hughes, no chance

:)

I sense this could create a long thread Rampage!

Q1: Flores would be my #1 possibly with Darren as assistant if he would stomach it.

Q2: Presume you mean faces in first team squad, not total squad size. I would say 3-4.....1 each of CF, CDM, RW and maybe CH. They could come from U21 or new signings

Q3: Whatever we can get away with under FFP. In reality, if we start moving players on, we will take hits that will eat up most of our budget I should think. Next season might need to be a judicious mix of promoting U21's, moving players on and a loan or 2

Q4: I think the system needs to be settled and then all players who have not or cannot fit that system should be moved on. That might be quite a few.

Q5: Yes, we should identify 3 or 4 in the pre-season and get them involved. Then keep them involved. We've brought players in fitfully eg Calero scored in a coca cola cup tie against Charlton but was never seen near the first team squad again.

Q6: Thorne no problem, Hughes hopefully as he has only just returned from a long lay off. We need to manage their contributions better over a long season than we perhaps have in previous years.

1. Warburton. Sod the Orangemen bring him here

2. 3-4 at most, Thorne cover (Hanson perhaps), A CF who can play with Martin or on his own (Weiman? Blackman?), RB competition. Depends on outgoings and quality available, squad members already here might be able to adapt to slightly different roles and get used more.

3. @HantsRam has it right, whatever wiggle room we have under FFP. Given free hand, £5-6m

4.Baird, Pearce, Shotton, All bent toes ah, Bent, Blackman

5. Yes, if they're good enough they're old enough. Lowe would have been save for injury, Hanson did.

6. Thorne we will, no doubt. Outsiders will start to think "sicknote" however unjustified. Hughes, the only two factors in our favour is we don't need to sell and he has been out a long time. It'll be hard and if Will decides he wants to step up a level, it's game over and thanks for the memories, good luck.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager? Flores would be a good shout, if not give Wass 2 years.

Q2. How many players do we need for next season? See Q4

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season? Negligible, save it for Jan if required.

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad? Tweak,

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season? Yes

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season? Yes, barring silly offers from potential Champions league contenders.

Q1 Would like to see Warburton/Rodgers but realistic Flores

Q2 Think we can lose 4 or 5

Q3 Recoup a bit and splash out on a striker and maybe cover at right back

Q4 Tweak and focus on organisation

Q5 Would like to think Hanson, Rawson and Lowe get a run out at some point

Q6 We dont have to sell so it will be if they want to stay (Manager will have a big influence on this) Think Hendrick will be looked at too

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager? Pearson 

Q2. How many players do we need for next season? Right back Cover. Top quality winger. Striker.

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season? 10m

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad? Major clear out. Bent, Blackman, Camara, Johnson, Baird, Pearce, Shotton, Albentosa, Grant, sell them.

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season? Starting 11? No. Few in match day squad possibly though. 

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season? Yes, if no BPL team comes in for Hughes I'd be shocked though. 

Good topic @Rampage 

Q1. Wassall 

Q2. A first team right back , competition/ for George Thorne , a pacey centre forward and maybe a winger if the right one come available 

Q3. Not vast amounts buy well , basically anything we can recoup plus £3-4 million max .

Q4. A tweak , a lot of good players in this squad but also a fair bit of dead wood so maybe 6 or 7 out 3 or 4 in . 

Q5. Definitely, Zanzala,  calero , guy and rawson should all be considered.

Q6. Hopefully . If someone comes in with daft money then I'm afraid everyone has a price but these 2 are our future and the team needs to be built around them .

What's your answers to your questions?  

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

What's your answers to your questions?  

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager?  Flores on a lot of money

Q2. How many players do we need for next season? 4 -5 experienced, tough mentality players CH, CDM, ST, RF,W

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season? £15 million minus players out fees

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad? 4-5 in, 5-7 out

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season? Hanson and Lowe only

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season? Thorne Yes, Will No, if a Top 6 Club comes in with £12 m

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

We need a manager in place for next season

We need a few need players

I think we need a pacey striker

We need a new set peace player

Good call on the set pieces b4 our corners have been woeful this season. 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Q1. Warburton First choice Pearson Second

Q2. 4-5 new signings CDM (Rohan ince), RB (De Laet), CB (Hanley), Winger (Judge), ST (Wells)

Q3. £10mil (funded in part approx £4mili in sale of current squad)

Q4. A very serious trimming of the squad is needed: Sammon (released), Pearce (Sell), Shotton (sell), Baird (sell), Warnock (Released), Blackman (sell), Camara (sell), Buxton (Released), Grant (sell), Albentosa (sell) are all surplus to requirements.

Q5. Lowe, Rawson, Zanzala are probably at the front of the queue but there is little chance of first team opportunities

Q6. Thorne yes (He has a broken leg ffs plus his injury record is terrible) Hughes we have one more season in the championship with him i think then his contract runs out in 2018 so we will be forced to sell.

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager? That is a difficult one for Mel. We need a manager who is capable of motivating this team, we have some excellent players but they just lack that drive sometimes. He needs to be a tactician more  so than DW, and he definitely needs to not shy away from discipline no matter who the player is. I think Pearson needs teams to play in an aggressive way that doesn't suit Derby, Warnock while qualifying on many counts doesn't quite cut it for me. Flores is a maybe, I would tend towards O'Neil.

Q2. How many players do we need for next season? That depends on how many we sell on / let go. Ignoring that and concentrating on the current regular squad I would say 2.

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season? £5/6M

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad? Clear out periphery players and tweak the squad.

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season? Having seen them a few times this year, i would say gradually yes, but loan others out for 3 months experience at good clubs.

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season? Yes

1) Any of Pearson/Rowett/Monk/Warburton/Flores would do for me. Don't think there's ever been this many quality managers available whilst we've been managerless before. 

2) Depends entirely on who leaves and whether we get any injuries (with Bryson and Hughes available all season I feel we'd have been much closer to the top 2...)

3) Again, depends on whether we lose Hughes and any other of our top talents.

4) Tweaking all day. The quality of our squad is excellent, we finished 5th in the league for crying out loud. I'm amazed at the amount of people that want a complete overhaul, it would set us back years - teams don't gel in a season. There's deadwood that we should get rid of to keep on top of the wage bill of course, but I don't feel our starting 11 needs to be much different to the team that started against Hull on Tuesday.

5) I think the likes of Hanson, and maybe Calero could be pushing the older pros for a place on the bench/filling in for injuries. 

6) I'm more confident about hanging on to Thorne, more because he's probably seen as a high risk due to his injury record. Hughes in my eyes is probably going to go - whilst another season in the championship won't be awful for him, we really are holding him back at this point. He's so ready. Don't let him go for anything less than a fortune though, we have him tied down for long enough at least.

30 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Very good post, kingsy1884 - first one to name names.

Judge top of my list from your list

Cheers a good thread as well. Yeah Judge has really kicked on this season and looked a real force should have got in team of the year but then he did he leg. I think he would be affordable only £4mil he can take a set piece too I believe. He is a bit of a combo between Jamie Ward and Tom Ince IMO.

As for the other names only De Laet do I feel would be a good get certainly on a season long loan with an option to buy.

Archived