What is your strategy for us getting promoted next season?

Rampage

Q!. Who would you realistically appoint as manager?

Dunno, who ever is good enough, who would have thought Paul Jewell would be terrible, but Jim Smith good. A name would maybe bring postivity but not one coach (which a tier 2 club can get) will guarantee success. Anyone says otherwise is lying.

Q2. How many players do we need for next season?

4/5 quality players, NOT squad fillers

Q3. What sort of net transfer budget do we need for next season?

Dunno, £8mio maybe?

Q4. Do we need a major clear out or can we tweak the squad?

Just need to fix the issues which have not been resolved in the past two years!

Q5. Can we realistically bring U21 players into the team next season?

Only if they are good enough

Q6. Can we hang onto Hughes and Thorne next season?

Yes, if both are fit then a fight for top 2 is on even without additions.. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazes me how after every cardiff away and hull home play off, fans get so frustrated they all say wassall is out of his depth, and the whole squad needs an overhaul.... and 11 changes are needed... and after said games, we usually put on our best performances of the season in the next game.

Lets also not forget rotherham away was for 80 mins a magnificant performance following the qpr away game.

Shipping out all the inconsistent players or players not needed Baird , Pearce , shotton etc , also get rid of players who weren't good value for money like Blackman and cash in for an out and out striker like McCormack and get a manager in that's got the grit to grind out wins and get us where we deserve to be COYR!!

On 5/19/2016 at 21:29, Rampage said:

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

1. Flores, then Pearson

2. Striker, proper winger

3. For the above, £10m max, given that hopefully we will bring in some money in the summer

4. We can do both. We have too many players around the peripherals who we can seek to offload without it affecting the balance of the main 14/15 players. We have a really good squad but yet again the term plan B is hovering around.

5. It's the Derby Way, so I don't think the new boss will have any choice

6. Thorne for sure, Hughes I sincerely hope so, but I'd be amazed if we don't receive bids. Just depends on who the clubs are and what he wants to do.

We have the players ...

1) we need spirit and team play every week rather than 1 game in 3

2) Training to use more than one system effectively and to be able to switch seamlessly between the 2

This might mean using Bent or Blackman more often and in central positions that suit them along with Ince having a free role sometimes. Blackman has looked dire but he must have something we can use or he wouldn't have scored 13 times for Reading. Or before I get mauled on here for mentioning has name ... get rid and find someone else with some pace up front

3) A right winger who can skin a man and cross

4) Keep Hughsey fit, the boy is a genius

On 19/05/2016 at 21:29, Rampage said:

The dust is beginning to settle on our loss to Hull. Some questions for you to comment on.

Q1. Martinez

Q2. 3/4 ST/LW/GK

Q3. Plenty of frees/loans available so no more than 5 Mil

Q4. Clear out, the depth just isn't premierleague quality and we should be aiming for that (squad of 20ish + youth)

Q5. See Above (Rawson/Zanzala/Elsnik etc)

Q6. Must do! More important than new signings tbh...

Thanks Rampage 

i think I missed a trick though .. The bringing in youth issue is also very important. An academy could be viewed as a business in its own right but its primary objective has to be to generate our own talent at a mind boggling saving over buying seasoned players.

I was delighted when Hanson became an acceptable first team choice. That is how it should work. We might not find a Will Hughes every year but I honestly believe at our current level we should be able to blood an academy player each season as a minimum. We've seen Mason Bennet, Will Hughes and Jamie Hanson in recent times but the others who have been knocking on the door haven't had game time of any note. Come on .. They must be more than one with the ability to if not shine then hold their own as a second half sub or in an early cup game. As an example Ssnwankambo sadly went ( sorry about the spelling )  ... He had strength some speed and a touch in the one game I saw. 

20 hours ago, jono said:

Thanks Rampage 

i think I missed a trick though .. The bringing in youth issue is also very important. An academy could be viewed as a business in its own right but its primary objective has to be to generate our own talent at a mind boggling saving over buying seasoned players.

I was delighted when Hanson became an acceptable first team choice. That is how it should work. We might not find a Will Hughes every year but I honestly believe at our current level we should be able to blood an academy player each season as a minimum. We've seen Mason Bennet, Will Hughes and Jamie Hanson in recent times but the others who have been knocking on the door haven't had game time of any note. Come on .. They must be more than one with the ability to if not shine then hold their own as a second half sub or in an early cup game. As an example Ssnwankambo sadly went ( sorry about the spelling )  ... He had strength some speed and a touch in the one game I saw. 

Callum Guy, Ofrande Zanzala and Lowe are front runners.

I really hope they get a chance next season .. This is what makes a club really buzz and "one of our own" really mean something. I would so rather see this than endless buying of known players of a certain level and paying silly money for them. 

21 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Callum Guy, Ofrande Zanzala and Lowe are front runners.

Jono, I thought that Ssewankambo was a very good p;layer. He was injured early on and I think that he felt that he would break through into the firsst team. Sshould have been loaned out, maybe.

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What do you think of Timi Elsnick Rampage? Seen him a few times and he looks talented but I imagine you have seen him a few more times than myself

About 10% better than the others at present but very young. Needs ten minutes here and there. Lots of players can put in a good ten minutes against players that do not know them. Every week we should try to get a young player on for a few minutes..I think that Timi will make it.

That's interesting info Rampage and I see where you are coming from. Have you some coaching experience ? You seem pretty clued up when it comes to development and youth players ? .. I remember Isaacs debut .. For a young guy he looked really strong and quick. 

I have no special knowledge at all but my instinct has always focussed on two facets .. That touch and comfort with the ball at their feet.. They've either got it or not, then composure under stress. Got those two and your 90% of the way there  ( some pace/quickness is the icing  and vision makes the genius ) 

1 minute ago, jono said:

That's interesting info Rampage and I see where you are coming from. Have you some coaching experience ? You seem pretty clued up when it comes to development and youth players ? .. I remember Isaacs debut .. For a young guy he looked really strong and quick. 

I have no special knowledge at all but my instinct has always focussed on two facets .. That touch and comfort with the ball at their feet.. They've either got it or not, then composure under stress. Got those two and your 90% of the way there  ( some pace/quickness is the icing  and vision makes the genius ) 

Excellent summary jono.

Some players still cannot control a ball after ten years and yet mange to score enough goals to be successful.

Torres was the great mystery for me. Great instinctive finisher but give him a chance to think what to do and then back to the sunday league.£50 million player becomes £10 player

Archived