Your current job.

RiddingsRam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been at the same company for over 12 years driving counter balance and reach fork trucks. Thinking that I need a change now. I've been driving fork trucks for years on and off but also had 6 years putting up Marquees and also had 5 years driving a 7.5 tonne for Parcel force. The company I work for is a massive global company but is run by idiots at local level who think investing in decent workers or tools is a waste of money.     

Sith Happens

Currently a man of leisure, having put in 28 years of service i was made redundant 2 months ago when the company who bought our company decided i was surplus to requirements.

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Can I ask, of the people that work for companies, have you had a pay rise within the last few years?

We have but it has been something like 1.5% and the negotiations just to get that has taken something like 6 months and then they talk about reducing staffing levels to finance it for the warehouse workers. All salaried staff get given a similar percentage rise as us but that means the differential in monetary terms grows bigger each year and the amount of office staff seems to grow no matter what.

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

We have but it has been something like 1.5% and the negotiations just to get that has taken something like 6 months and then they talk about reducing staffing levels to finance it for the warehouse workers. All salaried staff get given a similar percentage rise as us but that means the differential in monetary terms grows bigger each year and the amount of office staff seems to grow no matter what.

Is that 1.5% per year for the last few years mate?

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

The company I work for is a massive global company but is run by idiots at local level who think investing in decent workers or tools is a waste of money.     

I hesitate to ask Ossie, but do the idiots who run the operation think you a decent worker or a tool?

55 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I hesitate to ask Ossie, but do the idiots who run the operation think you a decent worker or a tool?

They know I'm a decent worker but think I'm a tool.

19 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

And, do they read this forum? 

Makes no odds to me, they know how I feel about them.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

It does not take long after you start your working life to work out that the ones that do the least work get the most money.

This will never alter so you just have to suck it up or go into the woods and become a spoon whittler.

I have definately come across some examples in my career of this, however i dont think everyone is the same. My old boss was what i would call a delegator, he managed a team of people and delegated work out, he hardly ever had paper on his desk or could be seen to 'producing' a piece of work as such and I know that people used to say he did nothing, but his work was knowing who within his team could do the right piece of work required, or what their workload was, he would spend hours and hours doing 1-2-1's and ensuring people had the tools, training etc to do the jobs he was delegating.

He also spent a lot of time travelling to head office, staying over, and yes a lot of people saw that as he was always going on jollys, but i  know from personal experience he was selling his team to the higher management, and this did really well for me and helped me enhance my career, i wish he has been my manager when i was recently taken over as i may well have survived.

I am an Inward Investment Executive. My job is to promote the city of Derby as a place to invest in, relocate to or expand to.

Means I work with developers to build city centre apartments, retailers or bars/restaurants to open here or companies looking to expand or move. Get a lot of satisfaction from seeing places like Cosy Club and Turtle Bay open as it us that got them interested in Derby in the first place! 

11 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

I am an Inward Investment Executive. My job is to promote the city of Derby as a place to invest in, relocate to or expand to.

Means I work with developers to build city centre apartments, retailers or bars/restaurants to open here or companies looking to expand or move. Get a lot of satisfaction from seeing places like Cosy Club and Turtle Bay open as it us that got them interested in Derby in the first place! 

...work with football clubs to improve fan engagement during matches to help promote the city... :ph34r:

You're a marketing shill! I've worked your game out sir! ;)

30 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Turtle Bay opening night was very good, been back quite a few times :)

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

I work as a trainee Contracts Manager at a relatively large construction company in Derbyshire.

I'm only 18 so I've got many years to go before I'm qualified but I love it.

Stick at it mate get a trade and some papers .

Archived