Your current job.

RiddingsRam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im an associate director of a construction company.

Im going on holiday next month so might jack it and become a balloon girl or shot girl and work the summer abroad. Just dont think id pass as a very convincing female or look good in hot pants 

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I make about £10k less than the average for my position, because I don't have a degree. Do it better than all them graduate schmucks too <_<

Is there no option to do it part time in the evening? No debt and a degree is better on the cv if you move on. 

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

is the biscuit factory next to the chicken factory?

I used to work on the old airfield in Ashbourne and depending on which way the wind was blowing, you'd get the delightful smell of the biscuits drifting through the office, or the disgusting smell of chicken ****!

Who did you work for Mostyn if you don't mind me asking? I worked up there many many a moon ago. 

9 hours ago, loweman2 said:

just following one from that, just had a quick google for endowment payouts based on a 25 year term and paying a flat £50 for that 25 years (mortgage term) and look at how the final payout dropped so massively, look at 1995, that plan would have started in 1970, pay in £15,000 over the next 25 years and collect up to £108,000 in 1995 to pay off what would have been an average mortgage of probably £50,000, then compare it to our generation, if I had taken one out in the year I left school (1986) and paid the same for 25 years I would have collected £35k as a maximum, and never had paid off my mortgage, so for everybody who took out an endowment after probably 1990 there was never a chance of paying off your mortgage, especially as house prices began to soar.

but for some reason the industry was to naïve or stuck in its way of doing things, 80% of house buyers used to have an endowment.

sorry to bore everybody

untitled3.png

The problem with that is it doesn't quite tell the true story, as it doesn't account for inflation. It makes you think 'oh £50 a month that's easy I earn that in less than a day' where as it would be been worth a lot more in 1970

11 hours ago, Joe. said:

The problem with that is it doesn't quite tell the true story, as it doesn't account for inflation. It makes you think 'oh £50 a month that's easy I earn that in less than a day' where as it would be been worth a lot more in 1970

It's not trying to account for inflation ? It's being used to show how endowment plans at one time were an excellent investment vehicle and paid large annual bonuses and a large terminal bonus at the end, then life companies reduced those bonuses down to nil in some cases and what was a great way to pay off your mortgage became an expensively overcharged and inflexible plan especially when mvas were introduced, but it was to late for the hundreds of thousands of investors who had started them within the last ten years or so, I'm not talking about inflation !

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

It's not trying to account for inflation ? It's being used to show how endowment plans at one time were an excellent investment vehicle and paid large annual bonuses and a large terminal bonus at the end, then life companies reduced those bonuses down to nil in some cases and what was a great way to pay off your mortgage became an expensively overcharged and inflexible plan especially when mvas were introduced, but it was to late for the hundreds of thousands of investors who had started them within the last ten years or so, I'm not talking about inflation !

£50 in 1970 is aprox= £500today would you expect paying £50 a month in now to pay off your mortgage? Or would £500 a month do it?

20 minutes ago, Joe. said:

£50 in 1970 is aprox= £500today would you expect paying £50 a month in now to pay off your mortgage? Or would £500 a month do it?

joe u r not reading what I am writing, the table is based on fact and what was paid out for all of those plans, the contributions were not index linked, simple as that.

so the plans that were started in 1970 and paid in £50 per month paid out around £100k because they had larger bonuses added nothing to do with inflation, and the plans that paid in £50 per month starting in 1985 only paid out around £30k in 2010 because the bonuses and terminal bonus were nearly non existent, thus making them a useless tool for mortgage settlements.

remember that in the 70s and 80s everybody used these for paying their mortgage off, they only paid back the intrest to the banks on a monthly basis so large returns were required, its the equivalent of what people pay on their mortgage nowdays as a repayment figure near enough, many people will be paying £1,000 per month and higher, that's what inflation has done along with over priced property, im not disputing that.

any how I don't want to take up any more space in this post as its about what jobs people do not mortgage endowments and im sorry for starting it dudes.

16 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Is there no option to do it part time in the evening? No debt and a degree is better on the cv if you move on. 

**** that, can't stand being an engineer. Do it cos I can, will get out the moment I see a door elsewhere.

1 hour ago, PrivateDerby said:

Ever been to John Pointons in Leek? I have never ever smelt anything like it. 

26 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

I threw my boots and overalls and sat in the bath for two days and I could still smell it! How anyone could work there is beyond me.

Just driving behind one of their trucks on the A50 makes me retch.....my son-in-law is an Agricultural Contractor and has offal based fertiliser delivered for spreading over fields from their delightful establishment.

Smelly stokies!

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, Ovis aries said:

My current occupation is keeping all the Haematology staff at Royal Derby in work:D

Ha, i seem to be doing a good job of that too,

On 17 May 2016 at 10:43, loweman2 said:

just following one from that, just had a quick google for endowment payouts based on a 25 year term and paying a flat £50 for that 25 years (mortgage term) and look at how the final payout dropped so massively, look at 1995, that plan would have started in 1970, pay in £15,000 over the next 25 years and collect up to £108,000 in 1995 to pay off what would have been an average mortgage of probably £50,000, then compare it to our generation, if I had taken one out in the year I left school (1986) and paid the same for 25 years I would have collected £35k as a maximum, and never had paid off my mortgage, so for everybody who took out an endowment after probably 1990 there was never a chance of paying off your mortgage, especially as house prices began to soar.

but for some reason the industry was to naïve or stuck in its way of doing things, 80% of house buyers used to have an endowment.

sorry to bore everybody

untitled3.png

The industry wasn't naive .. Large chunks of it were corrupt ... The building societies turned a blind eye because house prices were rising and therefore their exposure was covered. The insurers/investment houses were happy as they didn't offer a guarantee. We gave them money to invest but the risk was all ours. Wrong wrong wrong on every ethical and moral level. 

I believe that a loan against a property should only ever be covered to the value of the property. In other words lenders carry risk in return for profit. This has never been the case. It is a fundamental flaw in our so called financial services industry that has far too many sharks in it. There are some decent folk in the trade but despite avoiding any major pitfalls myself, I have a healthy scepticism of so called "products" and "advice"  

Archived