Red Herring

Day

Full article: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/10280731/darren-wassall-aims-to-end-derbys-eight-year-premier-league-exile

"I think it (the statement) was a red herring. I have been here seven years and in the last couple of years the priority has always been promotion as far as I have known, particularly now," said Wassall.

"I think the club showed its intent at the start of the season with the signings of Bradley Johnson and Jacob Butterfield on the last day of the transfer window that promotion is a priority at this club whether it is this year or next year, or the year after.

"We cannot guarantee when but it is certainly a priority to want to be in the Premier League.

"Whether that was said to take the pressure off, I don't know. But everybody at this club wants to get in the Premier League.

"I think the statement was a little bit misguided in terms of it was like at any cost but we don't want to be a club that goes up and then comes straight back down, as happened to us last time.

"I think what the chairman was saying is he wants a sustainable football club that is ready for the Premier League.

"But believe me, the gloves are off - we all want to get promotion. You don't work this hard for 46 games not to want to get promotion."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

so basically what we already knew? well, those of us with the intelligence to read between the lines.

Makes a bit more sense than the drivel people were posting about "we don't want promotion". Good to know we're not going to throw the playoffs on purpose.

Where is the "we don't want promotion" brigade? Waiting until we lose to claim Mel picked the losing team.

Not that I miss them. Was getting boring reading them spout made up ***** and misquoting stuff to suit their agenda. Probably the most stupid stuff I've read on here. 

Whether you agree with everything Mel says and does or not. Whether you like the money spent or not, how can anyone suggest that he spent over TWENTY MILLION POUNDS!!! of his wealth to stay in the Championship? Risky strategy to keep us down innit? Almost as if his heart might be in the right place even if you hate his ideas. 

And of course they managed to go from June to January without misquoting the season's objective. Until he stuck to his word and we had a blip. Then suddenly it was like the objective had changed. It hadn't.

Sacking Clement, spending big, giving free scarves, going in dressing rooms etc etc... All fair debate. But actually believing he wants to stay down? Actually repeating that drivel all day every day? Without once explaining why he'd want to keep us down and why he'd spent over £20m to do so...

Thats not a different opinion. That's just talking rubbish

Not a single bloke in the club benefits from Derby staying down. 

No, they should be forced to walk the streets like Cersei Lannister.

Actually my post is a bit harsh looking back. We all talk ***** when we go off on passionate rants. 

Come forth and ask forgiveness children.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

I love an @Alpha rant :wub:

Not so great the next day when read them back.

I do them at home and have to apologise. 

Anyway, you've had a few of your own lately. But for some reason you put it in multiple posts. 

1 post 

10 paragraphs

5000+ words 

The way you do it people argue back because they can remember the original point. 

You don't have to pay for ink mate

16 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

So what is he saying? Morris is a bell end? ;) 

More likely that the Derby fans who misinterpreted what was said by Mel, and which was reiterated time and time again on here by those who attended the Breakfast Club, could have perhaps benefited by not jumping to conclusions.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

More likely that the Derby fans who misinterpreted what was said by Mel, and which was reiterated time and time again on here by those who attended the Breakfast Club, could have perhaps benefited by not jumping to conclusions.

Can't blame em, the message from Mel has been drowned out by the lack of pork based products! 

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Can't blame em, the message from Mel has been drowned out by the lack of pork based products! 

Amazing how a rasher or two can aid comprehension. It's probably the source of the saying "Let me digest that for a moment..."

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

All the 'mel wants to stay down' and the 'we dont want promotion thos season' brigade should all come on here and apologise. 

I would be interested to see how many posters you could find saying this. There seems to be a lot of 'calling people out' or whatever you youngsters call it these days, but no evidence yet that anyone actually said this.

I seem to recall a few posters repeating Mel's comments that it wasn't '**** or bust', non-promotion wouldn't get Clement the sack if we were progressing and the plan/budget was to go up in one of the next 3 seasons.

I also seem to recall a massive over-reaction from posters who didn't have the comprehension skills to realise that most of the time 2+2=4. 

The way I saw Mel's comments at the time of Clement's sacking was that promotion was not the target 'at any cost'. The objective was and is to build a sustainable structure and a team that will survive in the Premier League, when promotion comes. Do this, and promotion will happen. 

I believe the whole club has been behind the promotion push but without losing sight of the long term goal. Better to get promoted in year two or three and stay there than get promoted in year one and come straight back down.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Not so great the next day when read them back.

I do them at home and have to apologise. 

Anyway, you've had a few of your own lately. But for some reason you put it in multiple posts. 

1 post 

10 paragraphs

5000+ words 

The way you do it people argue back because they can remember the original point. 

You don't have to pay for ink mate

I get bored half way through typing long posts :sleep:

Archived