George Thorne

Kernow

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Gritters said:

The last match we lost we went on to beat Hull 4 - 0 the next game.

How dare you show such positivity.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor George. It is crushing for the lad - you can see he's just a lovely lad who simply relishes playing football and most pleasingly of all, he relishes playing football for our club. But his injury troubles should be a cautionary tale to our club and other young players.

When you have a series of injuries in a short career like he has had, you have to handle such a player with particular care.

First of all, you can't rush a player back, no matter how eager the player is and no matter how enamoured you are with the player. Understandably, we were really excited to see George in a Derby shirt but I've always felt that in all that excitement, we, as a club, lost sight of the bigger picture - the long-term well-being of the player. We rushed George back in 2014-15 after a serious injury and he has never looked the same and there are question marks over whether he ever will. He should have been given the whole season and the following pre-season to fully recover. Yes, I know, he is hungry to play now. But it would have been better to protect him in the short-term in order to prolong his long-term future in the game.

Secondly, you can't build your team around this same player and place the same demands on such a player. You can't expect him to be playing week in, week out, training and playing with the same regularity and intensity as all of the others. You can't treat him like he's untouchable and like he's never even had a nosebleed. You should protect him. You should have someone who is able to step in and challenge him for the shirt, so he can take a step back when he's not at his sharpest. He's played 35-36 games this season, but at what cost? He needed to be eased in. He needed to build up to it. But as we've seen, he hasn't had that privilege. Before today, he had picked up minor injuries throughout the season and never looked his sparkling best, because too much is being expected of him.

Now, I'm not saying that it's the club's fault that Thorne finds himself injured again. But in my mind, they haven't helped the situation. Love him as we might, in the back of our minds, we have always had to worry when he would next pick up an injury and that's not healthy for a player with such a short career under his belt and such a seemingly pivotal role to play in our team.

The only reason I'm not so fearful that the same will happen to Will Hughes is that he's already played three full seasons and 100+ games at this level and he is used to the intensity and demands of playing at this level regularly, and his injury back in August was the first instance of a long-term injury for him. But I did fear the worst when he was being primed for a first team return 'to save our season' a few weeks back.

Anyway, it's a great shame for George. He just wants to play. We can all see that. I wish him all the best and a well-managed, sensible and effective recovery.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Poor George. It is crushing for the lad - you can see he's just a lovely lad who simply relishes playing football and most pleasingly of all, he relishes playing football for our club. But his injury troubles should be a cautionary tale to our club and other young players.

When you have a series of injuries in a short career like he has had, you have to handle such a player with particular care.

First of all, you can't rush a player back, no matter how eager the player is and no matter how enamoured you are with the player. Understandably, we were really excited to see George in a Derby shirt but I've always felt that in all that excitement, we, as a club, lost sight of the bigger picture - the long-term well-being of the player. We rushed George back in 2014-15 after a serious injury and he has never looked the same and there are question marks over whether he ever will. He should have been given the whole season and the following pre-season to fully recover. Yes, I know, he is hungry to play now. But it would have been better to protect him in the short-term in order to prolong his long-term future in the game.

Secondly, you can't build your team around this same player and place the same demands on such a player. You can't expect him to be playing week in, week out, training and playing with the same regularity and intensity as all of the others. You can't treat him like he's untouchable and like he's never even had a nosebleed. You should protect him. You should have someone who is able to step in and challenge him for the shirt, so he can take a step back when he's not at his sharpest. He's played 35-36 games this season, but at what cost? He needed to be eased in. He needed to build up to it. But as we've seen, he hasn't had that privilege. Before today, he had picked up minor injuries throughout the season and never looked his sparkling best, because too much is being expected of him.

Now, I'm not saying that it's the club's fault that Thorne finds himself injured again. But in my mind, they haven't helped the situation. Love him as we might, in the back of our minds, we have always had to worry when he would next pick up an injury and that's not healthy for a player with such a short career under his belt and such a seemingly pivotal role to play in our team.

The only reason I'm not so fearful that the same will happen to Will Hughes is that he's already played three full seasons and 100+ games at this level and he is used to the intensity and demands of playing at this level regularly, and his injury back in August was the first instance of a long-term injury for him. But I did fear the worst when he was being primed for a first team return 'to save our season' a few weeks back.

Anyway, it's a great shame for George. He just wants to play. We can all see that. I wish him all the best and a well-managed, sensible and effective recovery.

He's broken his leg. It's an impact injury. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He broke his leg in a tackle/foul, nothing to do with his long term knee injury, your whole reasoning is flawed

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you service your car regularly and look after it properly, driving it well, it's far more likely to last and run well than if you never had anyone look under the bonnet and were continually thrashing the gears. Yes there is risk in everything and it might still break down but it's about optimizing your performance (which you claimed was a very "Clement" thing for me to mention previously when I said beffore the game that Thorne shouldn't play).

We needed the points against Bolton; points were irrelevant today; Zenit was unlucky.

If you deliberately run across a minefield you are more likely to get yourself blown up compared with a situation when you might be very unlucky to step on an isolated mine that no one knew was there. Today, Darren and Harry decided that we'd run across a minefield for the hell of it. Unfortunately they didn't get lucky. But I was very angry about their lack of professionalism before kickoff and contacted the club to say as much as soon as the team sheet was released.

so you service your car regularly? Ain't gonna help you when a drunk driver crashes into you as you're minding your own business driving in lane legally and safely.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

He's broken his leg. It's an impact injury. 

It could have happened at any time to anybody.

The hardest man I ever saw in my life was Dave Mackay - and he suffered two broken legs before going on to become a legend both in the game and at Derby. George will be back next season.

I haven't seen the challenge on video and a lot of us are jumping to conclusions very quickly. 99% of challenges could be made to look bad with a single image. Try challenging without studs showing etc

Remember in the first half at one point ref blew a foul against Derby with the ball coming out of the Ipswich area, GT was about to smash it and kicked their player in the leg. If this had broken their guys leg would we be calling GT a dirty McCarthy type player? No we won't.

So I'll reserve final judgement to see if we ever see the clip. During the game I thought I saw GT try to control the ball and then shoot. I don't know if the defender was the one who blocked it, if the defenders studs went into GT's legs or GT followed through with his shin onto the defender.

I won't quote the whole post @Jourdan, whilst I agree he was rushed back last season,to his possible detriment, I think we're in a much better position now than we were then in regards to the backroom medical staff, and indeed the facilities to enable recovery from such injuries.

For instance, Mel offered to employ a top sports doc as part of the backroom staff, but Mac didn't see the need!

That level of expertise is now in place, hopefully we've reaped the benefit already with Will and Bryson's return, and we'll get Thorne back better than ever.

We can adapt without George and we will win our playoff semis v Hull over the 2 legs.

Of this I am sure. It will be harder but we have the squad and with Will coming back we can cope with this and move on.

5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

SURPRISING STAT OF THE DAY:

Derby County's record this season without George Thorne reads...

P14 W8 D4 L2 Pts 28 PPG 2.00 projected finish: 2nd.

Don't anyone give up.

Played decently enough without him v Wendies.

Archived