OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of people writing off Rowett. He has a good record 40%+ win ratio and had to play a direct / negative way at Brum to stop their slide given the players he had. With our squad, he might not be a bad option. Seems to get players motivated..Still prefer Flores or O'Neill though.

7/4     Tim Sherwood

3/1      Gary Rowett

7/2       Darren Wassall

6/1       Mark Warburton

10/1     Neil Warnock

has now become:

Tim Sherwood 11/8

Darren Wassall 4

Gary Rowett 9/2

Mark Warburton 8

Nigel Pearson 8

Roberto Martinez 8

I guess this must be reflecting the "shortlist"

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What are the defensive issues do you think?

Fair point. I guess the point I was trying to make is that Martinez is hardly famed for his defensive stability, I could see us ending up like we were in McLaren's second season needing to score three goals to get anything out of a game.

Still preferable to Sherwood in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Papahet said:

I reckon we need to hurry up if Pearson is the number one candidate.

if Di Matteo takes the Lazio job, I can see Villa coming in for Nigel quickly and promising him a hefty kitty to go with it.

Who wants an over wieight cat?

Realistically how many managers will accept the Derby Way when they already have their own ideas. At a football interview, you tell them how you play not ask how to play. Redknapp/Wassall is the only Derby Way in town.

Not necessarily coppell he's past it but I like the idea of an experienced head helping wassall out on a permanent basis ! Wassall knows the club and the way mel wants to go , but an old sturdy head who has a lot if experience in the game, maybe even a strong minded character might be the perfect blend . I'd say keep Harry on in the role but we're a bit north for him on a permanent basis I fear . 

9 hours ago, RamDon said:

Just to clarify: are you suggesting John Carver or Brian Laws as potential Derby managers or as worse premiership managers than Timmy Sherwood-Forest*?

One can't be too careful around here with such things. I am pretty sure Mel reads this stuff and is often guided by the comments. I once made a sarcastic reference to silly old 'Arry doing anything for a buck and, lo and behold, he was our "football consultant" within days.

I'm not certain if it's fact or not but I have it on good authority (from a guy who whispered it out of the side of his mouth which, I'm sure you'll agree, adds extra credibility...although it can render it more difficult for a partially deaf guy like myself to lip read) that the real cause of the communication problems between Mel and PC - and the lack of trust between Mel and Steve Mc - was Mel's tendency to respond only with silly puns.

With regard to John Carver, I think Timmy has him covered in the vacuity stakes. At least Carver knew how to get a point across.

I meant Carver and Laws were two EPL managers that were worse than Sherwood in my opinion. Wasn't suggesting either of them as potential Derby managers.  But i agree Sherwood would be a poor choice   A very poor choice.  I don't know why exactly but I'm pretty confident Mel won't make the mistake of giving him the job.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-Robins-boss-Steve-Coppell-linked-new/story-29304037-detail/story.html

Steve Coppell as Director of Football and Darren Wassall as Head Coach - it's a no fro me.

I hope this is more 'silly season' journalism. If this happened I think it would show what an abject lack of ambition there is at the club.

I think that the next appointment- whoever it is- will tell us everything we need to know about ambition at the club. Coppell and Wassall, Wassall on his own, Rowett and so on are unambitious vanilla options.

We only have to look at Newcastle, for example, should Benitez stay to understand serious intent. It'll be also interesting to see who Villa appoint- and I guarantee you this- Wassall, Coppell and Rowett (regardless of the Bluenose connection) won't be on their shortlist. Yet, Pearson almost certainly will be. Says it all really.

Im pretty sure the interview process will be :

This is the clubs ethos, and long term goal :

Can you buy into this, and can you help shape the club in the long term....

Its not a case of being told the way to play or manage.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Realistically how many managers will accept the Derby Way when they already have their own ideas. At a football interview, you tell them how you play not ask how to play. Redknapp/Wassall is the only Derby Way in town.

There will be an interview process.

It doesnt make sense for Derby County Football Club or an indivual manager to be taken on where their football philosophies are too different.

It will make no sense at all to even have an academy, or an ethos and philopsophy from the lowest kids team to the first team if the new head coach has a different view to that of the clubs.

Archived