England v Holland

froggg

PistoldPete2
6 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Hoddle annoys me to no end, god knows how he gave Drinkwater man of the match. 

Yes I think midfield was the big difference for England today... Milner and drink water not really good enough. Ali is a must for England and any chance for wilshire? Would help if there was a competent ref. But England can't use the ref as an excuse .. The team today wasn't quite good enough. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seemed to lose our pace and zip.

Stat from the commentary was that 7 players on Saturday ran more than 14k. We will not be able to maintain that over a tournament and a number of our potential squad players didn't offer enough.

Wouldn't mind if I didn't see milner, jagielka, Walcott again in England shirt. 

We seemed to be like the rams at times this seadon- turn up, knock the ball about a bit and expect stuff to happen.

Our goal was outstanding. But we created relatively little else.

Rose had a shocker,terrible defender,should have been a penalty in the first 5 mins. As far as the penalty was concerned if we were playing Spurs and Christie put that cross and Rose did that,I would have been jumping up and down screaming for a penalty and expecting to get one.

Poor refereeing and a poor side tonight. At-least now Roy now knows his back 4 and midfield. 

Lacked any physicality in midfield and creativity which we both have in Dier and Ali and Stones looked so error prone at the back. 

My team for the Euros would be:

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Ali   Dier  Wilshere 

Sterling

Kane               Vardy 

4 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Rose had a shocker,terrible defender,should have been a penalty in the first 5 mins. As far as the penalty was concerned if we were playing Spurs and Christie put that cross and Rose did that,I would have been jumping up and down screaming for a penalty and expecting to get one.

Out of interest, given question marks over left back, where was Clyne when the ball was squared across for their winner?

Couldn't tell if he'd been dragged into the middle. 

Thought rose wasn't great defensively but was integral to most of our slickest passing moves first half.

Second half we just stopped. 

Ref was poor, I thought they should have had two pens but the goal was definitely a foul. Our midfield was poor tonight. Drinkwater did nothing wrong but didn't really impress, Barkley wasn't in the game really - Alli has definitely overtaken him for a starting place. Milner was Milner.

We took our goal well.

The defence really needs sorting out in the 3 remaining friendlies. Walker was average tonight, Stones is excellent on the ball but lacking match practice and possibly confidence after that shocker, Smalling did alright. Rose was good over the two games, but a rash challenge that could have been a penalty and a handball that was debatable but more in the "seen them given" category than outright shocker. Forster is a good keeper but very nervy with the ball at his feet. Hopefully with a bit of time a unit can be formed.

Overall I still think we'll make the quarters with a semi final needing a bit of luck and an easy draw. 

As of now I think this should be our starting 11.

Hart

Walker Smalling Stones Rose

Dier Milner

Welbeck Alli Vardy

Kane

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Poor refereeing and a poor side tonight. At-least now Roy now knows his back 4 and midfield. 

Lacked any physicality in midfield and creativity which we both have in Dier and Ali and Stones looked so error prone at the back. 

Hart

Ali   Dier  Wilshere 

Sterling

Kane               Vardy 

No I think it's Kane or vardy. Not both. We need Rooney if fit. Not sure about Sterling. Or Bertrand. I would prefer walker too. It really is very difficult there's so much competition for places. 

Funny how people are brushing this off as England's second team but insist we beat 'World Champions' Germany last week. Friendles are so unpredictable.

I think the running stat against Germany is also flawed. We played counterattacking football against them and the pace we had on the break suited us. Against a team who are content to pack defences, it's obvious going to be much more difficult to break the opposition down.

Against Germany it was running from one end of the pitch to the other. Against Holland it was slow-passing, sloppy possession play camped inside their half with no space in behind.

Limit the space in behind and players such as Vardy, Kane, Lallana etc. all become rather ordinary.

16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Ref was poor, I thought they should have had two pens but the goal was definitely a foul.Our midfield was poor tonight. Drinkwater did nothing wrong but didn't really impress, Barkley wasn't in the game really - Alli has definitely overtaken him for a starting place. Milner was Milner.

We took our goal well.

The defence really needs sorting out in the 3 remaining friendlies. Walker was average tonight, Stones is excellent on the ball but lacking match practice and possibly confidence after that shocker, Smalling did alright. Rose was good over the two games, but a rash challenge that could have been a penalty and a handball that was debatable but more in the "seen them given" category than outright shocker. Forster is a good keeper but very nervy with the ball at his feet. Hopefully with a bit of time a unit can be formed.

Overall I still think we'll make the quarters with a semi final needing a bit of luck and an easy draw. 

As of now I think this should be our starting 11.

Hart

Walker Smalling Stones Rose

Dier Milner

Welbeck Alli Vardy

Kane

Whilst I agree thought it was a foul, I do wonder how many of us fans cheer a centre half when he "shields" the ball away from a attacker to let it run out for a goal kick... 

36 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

We seemed to lose our pace and zip.

Stat from the commentary was that 7 players on Saturday ran more than 14k. We will not be able to maintain that over a tournament and a number of our potential squad players didn't offer enough.

Wouldn't mind if I didn't see milner, jagielka, Walcott again in England shirt. 

We seemed to be like the rams at times this seadon- turn up, knock the ball about a bit and expect stuff to happen.

Our goal was outstanding. But we created relatively little else.

The stat was 7 players ran over 1400m "at high intensity".

We were *****.

Hope to be proved wrong but I don't give us much hope beyond quarters in summer really. We have potential for sure in Dier, Stones, Ali, Kane, Vardy and a few others but as we saw last night there are a few who are honestly not good enough to make a REAL difference..

Milner is one. I just don't get it. He has been in and around poor performing England teams for such a long time now. When does the penny drop. 

In a game where the opposition sit behind the ball and let you come onto them then you need a certain creativity... I think it was his 6th or 7th pass that actually eventually found a white shirt. His first corner kick went out... I'm sorry but he is 100% not the midfield answer for me... 

As for Drinkwater I thought he did fine. Perhaps could be used in a game v the likes of Spain in a Dier/ Drinkwater combination... 

I think what Stones brings to the team with his ability to bring a ball out of defense and play a decent or defense splitting pass is well worth continuing with. He is young, developing and hopefully will learn from mistakes like last nights. Worth persevering with him I'd say...

4 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I think what Stones brings to the team with his ability to bring a ball out of defense and play a decent or defense splitting pass is well worth continuing with. He is young, developing and hopefully will learn from mistakes like last nights. Worth persevering with him I'd say...

He was a star in the making when at Barnsley. 

I'd  take him to France. 

11 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Hart

Ali   Dier  Wilshere 

Sterling

Kane               Vardy 

What has Jack Wilshere done to deserve a starting place? Drinkwater all day long. 

43 minutes ago, Casio said:

What has Jack Wilshere done to deserve a starting place? Drinkwater all day long. 

A fully fit Wilshire would be in my team all day long.  You need someone like him to retain the ball but also to drive into space an demand the ball.  Drinkwater was steady, but like Bryson, if you ask him to pass it any further than 10 yards he looks lost.

If all the usual suspects were available, I'd go with - 

---------------------------Hart

Clyne----------Stones------Smalling--------Shaw

----------------------------Dier

------------------Wilshire-----Ali

Vardy--------------------Kane-----------Welbeck

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

A fully fit Wilshire would be in my team all day long.  You need someone like him to retain the ball but also to drive into space an demand the ball.  Drinkwater was steady, but like Bryson, if you ask him to pass it any further than 10 yards he looks lost.

If all the usual suspects were available, I'd go with - 

---------------------------Hart

Clyne----------Stones------Smalling--------Shaw

----------------------------Dier

------------------Wilshire-----Ali

Vardy--------------------Kane-----------Welbeck

Names proceeding form and current ability is what has messed up England for over a decade. Jack Wilshere has not played first team football this season. Danny Drinkwater has in contrast and his side sit top of the league. This is no brainer for me that Wilshere should be lucky to get a seat on the plane. It's all about form not names, our best chance of doing well in this tournament is with players in form.  

Same goes for Rooney. 

Archived