Martin's Contribution

rynny

33 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

is this a serious thread or is it a send up droping shackle for buxton ? or are you taking the proverbial

You can't drop Shackell for Buxton. But if Shackell if injured and Jake coming in coincides with us playing well again, you'd have to keeping the winning side.

Shackell is the better defender but I think Jake would make us a better team due to a mixture of passion, organisation and ability on the ball.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

That would be a good debate and I wouldn't argue your point as you said one of.

So I'll just say Stefano Eranio because when he joined he was already pure class, an established Serie A player of top flight international standing and i.m.o he proved would have been worth a place in any Premiership team at that time; the fact he joined Derby made it an even bigger coup for Jim Smith.

Younger fans wouldn't perhaps realise what a signing he was, but as the article below states, he massively raised the bar for Derby that year; by that virtue he was a better free transfer to me, because Martin has yet to prove he can operate in the Prem, let alone become a top flight international. Not knocking Martin here, just saying Eranio was all that and more when he arrived.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Stefano-Eranio-Italian-star-raised-bar-Derby/story-20073016-detail/story.html

Great Eranio article. Some free signing eh. I remember reading about us getting him at the time and thinking 'this is a proper well known AC Milan first team player - wtf'. Probably the equivalent of getting Xavi or similar now.

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Chris Martin, is by far our best striker at the club, bar none, he must start all the games, because without him, we really struggle up front, also I think he is probably, one of the best free transfers, Derby have ever got, can anyone think off a better one, could make for an interesting debate.

Seth Johnson!!!

I really cannot believe people are having a pop at a striker who's scored 20 goals two seasons running and could do it again this season providing he gets the proper service.  Yes he hasn't had as good a season compared to the two previous but by a lot of other Championship striker's standards he's been top notch.  The simple facts as to why he's, supposedly, been so poor this season is due to PC not playing to his strengths and leaving him isolated.  Also the absence of Hughes and willing runners in Bryson (injured) and Hendrick (hamstrung by PC's tactics) haven't help matters...

4 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Great Eranio article. Some free signing eh. I remember reading about us getting him at the time and thinking 'this is a proper well known AC Milan first team player - wtf'. Probably the equivalent of getting Xavi or similar now.

Exactly, had to be one if not the greatest Free transfer steal for me, so mentioned it as the question was posed. 

Going back to the o.p do some people fail to see the IRynny (see what I did ;)) in the point being made. Martin is still up there as a great free and wonder what planet people are on if they can't see his contribution and yeah I accept he's been off at times, he did himself, but come on he's done great for us, lets back him not whack him.

On 20 March 2016 at 14:30, rynny said:

As it was being discussed in the match thread and a couple of nay sayers debating his effectiveness and contributions, I thought I would go through our goals this year and see how much impact he has had......

Not bad for someone has been poor so much this year.

On 20.3.2016 at 16:30, rynny said:

As it was being discussed in the match thread and a couple of nay sayers debating his effectiveness and contributions, I thought I would go through our goals this year and see how much impact he has had.

Hartlepool-not involved

Reading- Ince corner Shackell's header.

Burnley- Martin's pass Butterfield's goal

Man Utd- Martin's pass Thorne's goal

Fulham- Martin's pass Bryson's goal

Brentford- Martin to Blackman to Hendrick goal. Christie 1-2 with Johnson. Martin scored.

Blackburn- Butterfield from defender's header.

Wolves- Martin free kick.

Huddersfield- Martin goal. Martin's lay off Russell's goal.

Rotherham- Defender's header Ince goal. Martin goal. Martin tackle on Camp tap in for Ince.

Forest-Martin involved a couple of times in the build up.

IMO he has been average if compared to his previous seasons. One thing we should remember though: if we play one upfront, he SHOULD quite often have at least second assist/be involved in build up otherwise we won't score at all... Especially as we can't score from corners or freekicks.

I would agree with the people who are saying Eranio, is our best free transfer he was pure class, and a pleasure to watch. But Chris Martin is Defo in the top 5 I can think off, others I think who where also very good free transfer are Hindmarch, a great leader and captain , also Shilton, was a very good free transfer. And also Gregory I think was a free transfer.

Hasn't been helped by slower build up play and fewer players around and beyond him for support. Remains the focal point of our attack and with decent service and a bit more emphasis on getting players around him he'll easily look as good as he did previously.

Strikes be as being the sort of player to get the hump if things / tactics don't go his way but to be honest I think he just needs a bit of love and a bit of freedom in out play. Without doubt one of our most important players even out of top form.

On 3/22/2016 at 07:31, ariotofmyown said:

You can't drop Shackell for Buxton. But if Shackell if injured and Jake coming in coincides with us playing well again, you'd have to keeping the winning side.

Shackell is the better defender but I think Jake would make us a better team due to a mixture of passion, organisation and ability on the ball.

I can't help but sense a contradiction here. 

33 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Dived  every opportunity against SB5 overweight defenders tonight, couldn't understand why he didn't use his blistering pace against them and stay on his feet more. Booo cheat fell over.

He actually out paced 2 of them down the left wing tonight!!!

6 hours ago, ossieram said:

He actually out paced 2 of them down the left wing tonight!!!

Thought it was more than 2 Ossie and more than just once :lol: towards the end can't remember who pushed him but someone had been watching him play; Martin responded in full theatre mode with a perfect swan lake performance. He was fully in the spirit of the evening and trying to play to the crowd.

On 22 de marzo de 2016 at 18:22, Derby blood said:

I would agree with the people who are saying Eranio, is our best free transfer he was pure class, and a pleasure to watch. But Chris Martin is Defo in the top 5 I can think off, others I think who where also very good free transfer are Hindmarch, a great leader and captain , also Shilton, was a very good free transfer. And also Gregory I think was a free transfer.

I'm fairly sure Shilton cost us quite a bit of money, especially as Maxwell wanted to hype things up with the signing of Mark Wright as well and th price went up. Gregory also cost around 100,000 I believe.

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Thought it was more than 2 Ossie and more than just once :lol: towards the end can't remember who pushed him but someone had been watching him play; Martin responded in full theatre mode with a perfect swan lake performance. He was fully in the spirit of the evening and trying to play to the crowd.

Was that the one by the corner flag in front of the forest supporting linesman?

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Was that the one by the corner flag in front of the forest supporting linesman?

Yeah, fairly near the end I think, better footballer than actor or comedian mind, but showed his light hearted side.

On 20 March 2016 at 01:30, rynny said:

As it was being discussed in the match thread and a couple of nay sayers debating his effectiveness and contributions, I thought I would go through our goals this year and see how much impact he has had.

Hartlepool-not involved

Reading- Ince corner Shackell's header.

Burnley- Martin's pass Butterfield's goal

Man Utd- Martin's pass Thorne's goal

Fulham- Martin's pass Bryson's goal

Brentford- Martin to Blackman to Hendrick goal. Christie 1-2 with Johnson. Martin scored.

Blackburn- Butterfield from defender's header.

Wolves- Martin free kick.

Huddersfield- Martin goal. Martin's lay off Russell's goal.

Rotherham- Defender's header Ince goal. Martin goal. Martin tackle on Camp tap in for Ince.

Forest-Martin involved a couple of times in the build up.

Yes! At last! 

He does seem to have lost a yard since his injury last season but that may be because of the weight he gained while injured. Certainly our set up has been less advantageous to his style of play. But, contrary to the commentary of some, he's continued to work away. His assists were always still there...now the goals are coming again, the awful bagging he was copping seems to have 'magically' disappeared.

8 hours ago, richinspain said:

I'm fairly sure Shilton cost us quite a bit of money, especially as Maxwell wanted to hype things up with the signing of Mark Wright as well and th price went up. Gregory also cost around 100,000 I believe.

Cap'n Bob announced on the pitch that Shilton cost a million - that included wages, of course. What he didn't actually mention at the time was it was the BPCC pension fund that actually shelled that cash out to Southanpton.

On 24/03/2016 at 18:21, eddie said:

Cap'n Bob announced on the pitch that Shilton cost a million - that included wages, of course. What he didn't actually mention at the time was it was the BPCC pension fund that actually shelled that cash out to Southanpton.

Money well spent. Thanks bpcc

Archived