Time for Mel Morris to protect Darren Wassall now...

Ambitious

Wassall has done excellent work over the past seven years to make our academy one of the most exciting in the country and the U21s are showing fruit of that hard work currently by topping the second tier Premier League table. He was held in high esteem by most of the fans, yet less than 10 games in charge of the first team have seen him become vilified - emphasised further over the tactical suicide bomb at Rotherham.

The timing couldn't be worse. Forest could be a huge nail in the coffin, not just for his first-team managerial career which ship has already sailed, but for his career and reputation at Derby going forward. 

Wassall needs taking out of the firing line for next week - even if he's not replaced by the next permanent manager of this club. I just can't see him coming back from a loss against Forest in an already heated environment.

I don't think it's appropriate for Wassall to be the one thrown under the bus and I hope something is done in the next week to ensure that's not the case. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for Wassall here as who can seriously blame him taking the job? It was just an absolutely awful decision by Mel to take him away from the academy where he was doing great work and place him as head coach.

Automatics were still on the cards when Clement was sacked and it was a stupid idea to throw it away by appointing an out of depth academy coach and not an experienced manager. 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Wassall has done excellent work over the past seven years to make our academy one of the most exciting in the country and the U21s are showing fruit of that hard work currently by topping the second tier Premier League table. He was held in high esteem by most of the fans, yet less than 10 games in charge of the first team have seen him become vilified - emphasised further over the tactical suicide bomb at Rotherham.

The timing couldn't be worse. Forest could be a huge nail in the coffin, not just for his first-team managerial career which ship has already sailed, but for his career and reputation at Derby going forward. 

Wassall needs taking out of the firing line for next week - even if he's not replaced by the next permanent manager of this club. I just can't see him coming back from a loss against Forest in an already heated environment.

I don't think it's appropriate for Wassall to be the one thrown under the bus and I hope something is done in the next week to ensure that's not the case. 

This is why I like you. 

Today, Wassall thought, "we're 3-0 up and what better time could there be to bring on a couple of out-of-form forwards and bag a goal. I'll never get a better chance." It might have worked. Perhaps he was unlucky. At the time (called by many of us) it appeared foolish, and so it proved.

Mel will think that if we can reproduce the form we showed in the first half-hour of that second half against the red dogs, then Wassall can still turn it around and it can give everyone the lift we need for the run in. If he's still in charge it will be incredible pressure and I don't see how he would survive a loss. But unless it was McClaren coming back and knowing the club and the majority of the players, it's now very late to make a change before the big local DERBY.

The whole thing's a horrible mess, but neither MM nor DW have helped themselves. If Mel was genuinely waiting for a stellar manager for next season then I kind of understand it, though I think it was a mistake to call time on this campaign so early. Sadly, though, I think Mel has no such person lined up and is still hoping Darren "formations don't matter" Wassall will prove he's the man.

29 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It just highlights what a ludicrous decision it was not to give Clement until the end of the season if this carries on Wassall will do much more damage to the club then keeping Clement until the summer would have done

I disagree. Watching the highlights we looked a lot better than we did in almost every game under Clement - our players didn't look completely disinterested like they did with Clement and they actually moved about a bit off the ball. Yes the subs were a mistake, but I certainly don't think Wassalls tenure will be more damaging than Clements was - we actually looked quite good for large parts of the game. 

Just now, Inglorius said:

80 minutes of one game is not an adequate sampling frame

I would agree with that and I think he needs to be given a couple more games before we all decide he is the worst manager we've ever had. After all when Steve was manager we were actually 3-1 down to Rotherham at one point towards the end of last season.

I know its bad that we let a three goal lead slip and I am certainly not advocating that he be the permanent manager, but I think we need to be a bit more patient - we've certainly had far worse results (see end of last season).

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Wassall needs taking out of the firing line for next week - even if he's not replaced by the next permanent manager of this club.

Two responses.

First, are you sure it is only DW's personal reputation that people should worry?

As for taking DW off for next week, I have an easy one: migraine.

I have mixed feelings towards Wassall. On one hand I am angry at  him for his tactical decisions and the fact he is no way near good enough to be our manager; but on the other hand I feel sorry for him as he has been given a job he should never have been given in the first place and he is way out of his depth.

I think the longer Wassall is in charge the more people will begin to turn against him. Wassall is not good enough and what has happened today will continue to happen whilst Wassall is in charge as he lacks tactical sense.

To be honest having seen today's performance I think he's succeeded in getting is playing more attractive football, to his credit. So having done that, please Mel can we now appoint a new manager?

Archived