We need to finish 6th

plymouthram

If we finish 6th we will play a team in 3rd spot who would be downhearted in missing out on automatics, which would give us the home leg first giving us chance to get a good result. It looks like Burnley are going to grab one of the top 2 spots as things stand at the moment. So it would be either Hull, Boro or Brighton.  Clutching at straws, any thoughts on where our season is going ? 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, plymouthram said:

If we finish 6th we will play a team in 3rd spot who would be downhearted in missing out on automatics, which would give us the home leg first giving us chance to get a good result. It looks like Burnley are going to grab one of the top 2 spots as things stand at the moment. So it would be either Hull, Boro or Brighton.  Clutching at straws, any thoughts on where our season is going ? 

You mean like when we played Brighton in 13/14?

I'd love 6th right now because I'm becoming sadistic, something tells me it will be a frustratingly painful disappointment.

More than anything just hope a win against Forest however scrappy can lift everyone, because anything like last years loss gives me the feeling we will equally fade away as last year. 

Need to get up for the Forest game.

I actually hope we finish outside the playoffs, we would only have more disappointment if we did make the playoffs and then would end up being a month behind other clubs in terms of planning.

The season cannot end quick enough for me, regroup in the summer, get a decent manager in and go again. 

Id rather miss out on the play offs... The chairman and the players have wrote the remaining games off. 

Cant be bothered with getting excited and having false hope for the playoffs only to be left bitterly disapointed when we get spanked by boro in the first leg 

4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Id rather miss out on the play offs... The chairman and the players have wrote the remaining games off. 

Cant be bothered with getting excited and having false hope for the playoffs only to be left bitterly disapointed when we get spanked by boro in the first leg 

If we do get Boro, I would fancy our chances. Their wheels have also fallen off, like us they have spent big and were expected to fill a top 2 spot. They would going into the play offs having played Burnley, Ipswich, Birmingham and Brighton intheir last 4 games, they would be in a daze.  Beat them by the odd goal over 2 legs and play the winners between Brighton and Sheff W at Wembley.

Wow. Some people. We lost to a QPR side who worked harder than us and we sounded tired, and we have a mixture of people either looking at playoffs, or worse saying they want 7th and to move on to next year. Like was said towards the end of last season. I want to be in the playoff mix and see what happens. If we lose, OK. If we've hit a run of form towards end of season, we might reach the levels which saw us top 2 in December.

long way to go. Chill

I've just had a look at the latest Championship betting odds. No surprise to see Burnley now favourites to win the title and also be favourites to get promotion. We are now 80/1 to win the title but are still favourites to win the play off final at 5/2

10 games left and with Cardiff, Brighton, Hull, Sheff Wed,Ipswich and the small matter of a local derby to play its totally in the players hands , even though our form has at the least been patchy we are still fifth , which i think sums up this league this season , so my message to the players is either carry on as you are at the moment , finish outside the play offs and most of you will be looking for another club in the summer , or finally wake up ,roll up your sleeves and show why we are favourites to win the play offs, come on boys we the fans deserve a lot better

Why all the focus on where we finish? We'll finish exactly where we deserve to. 

I'd rather hope performances improve and we start being more attractive to watch. If we finish 7th or below so be it. But I think playing good football will improve our chances of getting into the top 6.

You could build a philosophy on that.  Call it by a name...maybe "The Derby Method" or "The Derby Approach" or something...

• 4 weeks later...

Still want us to finish 6th, looking at the remaining fixtures it looks like top two will be Burnley and M'boro and they will decide the title when they meet each other at Turf moor. Looking then more likely to be Brighton getting 3rd spot and ending up as our opponents. Then Hull will end up beating Sheff Wed over two legs to play the Rams at Wembley on the 28th May. If this works out, would they be underdogs against a team that as put 6 past them this season. Thoughts fellow fans ?

PistoldPete2
15 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Still want us to finish 6th, looking at the remaining fixtures it looks like top two will be Burnley and M'boro and they will decide the title when they meet each other at Turf moor. Looking then more likely to be Brighton getting 3rd spot and ending up as our opponents. Then Hull will end up beating Sheff Wed over two legs to play the Rams at Wembley on the 28th May. If this works out, would they be underdogs against a team that as put 6 past them this season. Thoughts fellow fans ?

My thoughts are take one game at a time. I would still settle for 6th as I think it will be tough for us to stay in the play off positions  with games against Wendies Brighton and Ipswich to come. A bit miffed that Cardiff got a point today at Burnley and the Wendies won again too. 

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

My thoughts are take one game at a time. I would still settle for 6th as I think it will be tough for us to stay in the play off positions  with games against Wendies Brighton and Ipswich to come. A bit miffed that Cardiff got a point today at Burnley and the Wendies won again too. 

Cardiff have been playing well, Burnley have scraped their last couple of wins and have now drawn 3 on the trot. So I was not surprised by that result. I am a great believer in teams all having peak moments as well as having bad patches of form. You have got to hope with the talent we have in our squad are due some good form. Cardiff, Burnley, Brighton and Sheff Wed are maybe due some bad form.

It's immaterial where we finish in the play offs places, as long as we win the 3 games.

Last night proves we are a fantastic side, we just need now to remain consistent, on our day we will beat anyone in this division.

Archived