So, so bored of this season

rad1919

20 minutes ago, WestLondonRam said:

I spoke to Morris tonight he is 100% not going to sell the players from the play offs. He said tonight that the team was really brittle at the moment and has no confidence in themselves, hence why he has appointed Darren to bring morale back to the team. He believes that the team out there tonight is the best team but just low in confidence. He was honest and said it exactly how it is. 

Doing a sterling job. Maybe appointing a manager that knows what there doing may get the players confidence up, this season we have had two managers completly out of the depth. This is probably the biggest loss of confidence for the team. If the players have no confidence in the manager then what hope do they have.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most bored you've been watching Derby is now?!?!?

I thought it was a bit dull when we were taking 600 people all the way to Coventry and playing for a draw.

Or when we went a year without winning.

Or when we got 11 points in a season

That was a pretty boring

2 hours ago, WestLondonRam said:

I spoke to Morris tonight he is 100% not going to sell the players from the play offs. He said tonight that the team was really brittle at the moment and has no confidence in themselves, hence why he has appointed Darren to bring morale back to the team. He believes that the team out there tonight is the best team but just low in confidence. He was honest and said it exactly how it is. 

My god that's a real worry,, I would be relieved if he said we have some very decent players at Derby county and I'm going to appoint a proper manager to show me / us what is the best team that can be built from them ,,, you know what for the last few years even when things were good we had very good midfielders but still all struggled to find the right balance there consistantly ? We need a real manager not Mel believing he knows the best team but just needs an acadamy boss to repair their brittle confidence , another false dawn , really believed Mel Morris's could be Mr Derby county now it looks more like Derby county becoming Mrs Mel Morris 

8 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I go to support my team through thick and thin, when they are good I say they are good, when they are poor I say they are poor, this lets me appreciate the good times and gives me a balance,

people who live their lives looking through rose tinted spectacles whilst the world crumbles around them are what is wrong with society as a whole, it is those who I suggest are pathetic ! 

If you deem a little bit of positivity as cynically as 'rose tinted' then thank god not every derby fan is like your good self.

This team has come a long way and to be so negative now just doesn't make any sense to me we are 5th in the league a respectable position considering what has happened and what teams we are up against. The club is probably as stable as it has been in a good many years the prem is just a matter of time.

As has been pointed out, we and I have been through 100 times worse than this. When the best game of the season was against Milwall when we won to keep us up in May and the crowd went mental. 

hope springs eternal and pre season next season will bring it all back. I don't buy a season ticket looking for a guarantee on the back which says 'winning' or 'thrills abound'. 

10 hours ago, WestLondonRam said:

How amateur. Who is going to tell Morris he's wrong.

I remember watching Derby at Pride Park get beaten 1-4 by Ssausagehorpe. That was one of the only times I felt lost with the club, not being 5th in the table and losing a game.

Some of you need to get a grip and realise that we have had so much more worst times than this. 

A glance at the table will tell you that there is still every possibility of promotion via the play-offs.  However, having watched us play for the last few months in the torpid, sluggish and confused manner we have, it seems such a remote chance  that i've pretty much given up on promotion this season.

All i really want from the rest of the season is to see Hughes back in a Rams shirt, and starting to play like he was before the injury.  That and a decent managerial appointment in the summer, and at least there can be some optimism for next season. 

16 hours ago, McLovin said:

What makes it worse for me now is that the team spirit has totally gone and we seem to be full of overpaid mercenaries 

Team spirit does seem very low at the moment, but I can't agree with your last comment. Who would you class as overpaid mercenaries? They would have to be players signed this year. Butterfield was chased by the club for quite a while and I personally wouldn't class him as a mercenary. Ince, although expensive came as a young player with a very good record behind him. Olsson also I wouldn't class as mercenary. Pearce came on a free and although he wouldn't be playing for nothing I don't think would be one of the higher earners. So that leaves Shackall, Bent, Weimann and Johnson. Shackall I don't think anyone thought that he was a mercenary when we signed him, and doubt that many would now. Weimann was a young one club player who although hasn't worked out again doesn't fall into the category of mercenary. So, Johnson and Bent. Johnson signed for big money but again would you class him as a mercenary? Bent, I'll give you that one, but then we ALL knew that when we signed him. He came here to play the roll that he has (or hasn't) played.

Forgot about Camara (so have the head coaches). Again, wouldn't call him a mercenary.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Team spirit does seem very low at the moment, but I can't agree with your last comment. Who would you class as overpaid mercenaries? They would have to be players signed this year. Butterfield was chased by the club for quite a while and I personally wouldn't class him as a mercenary. Ince, although expensive came as a young player with a very good record behind him. Olsson also I wouldn't class as mercenary. Pearce came on a free and although he wouldn't be playing for nothing I don't think would be one of the higher earners. So that leaves Shackall, Bent, Weimann and Johnson. Shackall I don't think anyone thought that he was a mercenary when we signed him, and doubt that many would now. Weimann was a young one club player who although hasn't worked out again doesn't fall into the category of mercenary. So, Johnson and Bent. Johnson signed for big money but again would you class him as a mercenary? Bent, I'll give you that one, but then we ALL knew that when we signed him. He came here to play the roll that he has (or hasn't) played.

Forgot about Camara (so have the head coaches). Again, wouldn't call him a mercenary.

Think there was a whiff of mercenary about the Shackell signing.  At least the ginger-pube-coated-potato (to quote a fellow poster) was banging on about "not being able to compete when clubs try to buy the division" - or words to that effect.

And for the life of me I can't work out why Johnson would have signed other than a money element, but in truth I cannot remember that being discussed as such.

16 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

We are paying the price now for a poor managerial appointment in the summer. It was a gamble it didnt pay off. Sit tight we are still 5th and I think we will probably stumble our way into a 5th or 6th place finish and fall at the semi-final stage.

Next season i hope will be much better with an expererience manager at the helm with a team that has time to be trimmed down and also been given time to gel with maybe one or two additions (maybe quality loan signings) and the good times will come rolling back.

You can critisize MM all you want but the grass isnt always greener on the other side and I never forget we nearly lost our club a few years back to the 3 amigos. Get a hold of yourselves and just enjoy the rest of the season what will be will be. lets be honest automatics was very hopeful at best against the likes of Hull, Boro and Burnley.

I totallt agree. And I'm sure Mel is bored too. But hopefully lessons have been learned:

If you buy a player sell a player. Get a couple potential superstars not a gang of mediocre journeymen. Don't sanction purchases of whoever the manager wants unless it fits the plan.

Look at our team : Russell is average Butterfield is average Johnson and Ince are unmotivated; Martin and Hendrick are above average at best and Blackman and olssen and bent are all barely average. Weimann Baird Pearce warnock all poor. You have Good players : Thorne Christie Bryson Hughes Forsyth shacks but they are either hurt or underperforming. Only 2 players - Carson and Keogh - are performing to their potential this season : tells you a lot! And on the horizon you have exciting young prospects: Zanzala Stabana Calero Hanson Lowe who we've seen little of. 

I love and support Mel and I hope he stays engaged and motivated ... And hopefully like smart people do he will learn from errors - but number one is you need a tight knit small squad backed up by a good young u21 group. Bloated squad is toxic. Then number 2, you need a manager who brings the very best out of the players and is smart in his tactics. Brendan Rodgers fits that bill for me but I'm sure Mel and Sam are doing their homework. 

We need the excitement back and the leaders at DCFC need to find it.

I think this has been the most frustrating season for a number of years, because before Christmas it promised so much.

After a sluggish start we were top of the league under a highly rated young coach and had a passionate new local chairman clearly willing to invest significant sums of money in the squad.  I accept the level of performance wasn't consistently high even then, but on days like Hull away in November we were clearly as good as anyone in this division.

The extent of our regression since then has been deeply dispiriting and it's probably going to be the third season in a row where we had high hopes of getting promoted but ultimately fell short.  

On a broader level, of course things are nowhere near as bad as under Maxwell or the 3 Amigos but in terms of being disillusioned this season is up there for me, because we have a good squad well capable of competing for the top two.  I don't accept any of the teams above us are that great and we have a better infrastructure and support than any of them.

I get where people are coming from, saying that we've got a bloated squad and we should have a tight knit core & fill from the U21's if necessary but isn't that exactly what we had last season?. A few key injuries and it all went tits up.

I don't blame the club for trying to mitigate this risk and tring to back-fill the squad to give us plenty of options, seeing as they obviously didn't think that we had the right U21's to do so. Rightly or wrongly - I have no idea.

What I do criticise them for, though, is that they've recruited a similar standard of forward player to what we already had, which has meant that there is no longer a clear first team but a large pool of samey players & the selection and morale problems which come from that.

I didn't realise my apathy till my daughter said to me last night 'mum, you didn't do anything when they scored last night, you usually jump up, shout and swear and walk round the coffee table at least?' 

I haven't ever switched a game off the radio before, just like I've never left early when I'm at the match - but I was close to switching Ed n Craig off last night. 

Like people have been saying - we've been through worse. 

UTR.

17 hours ago, WestLondonRam said:

I spoke to Morris tonight . . . .  He said tonight that the team was really brittle at the moment and has no confidence in themselves, hence why he has appointed Darren to bring morale back to the team. He believes that the team out there tonight is the best team but just low in confidence. He was honest and said it exactly how it is. 

Everyone knows that MM sacked PC and appointed DW as the head coach. But that was a full month ago.

Just want to clarify because your use of tense is confusing: the team was brittle a month ago and had no confidence at that point. But the team is still low in confidence right now after a full month of DW's positivity?

I can sense DW's positivity even through the TV screen, because he is like super hyper positive during those post-match interviews. So the confidence should have long resumed, no?

Or what PC did to the team was so bad that even DW, aka the biggest motivator in Derby County, just needs a little more time to get the confidence back?

29 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

I didn't realise my apathy till my daughter said to me last night 'mum, you didn't do anything when they scored last night, you usually jump up, shout and swear and walk round the coffee table at least?' 

I haven't ever switched a game off the radio before, just like I've never left early when I'm at the match - but I was close to switching Ed n Craig off last night. 

Like people have been saying - we've been through worse. 

UTR.

I was the same. My missus asked me the score and I said 2-0. She thought it was still 0-0 cos id not uttered a single moan or swear word, as per usual. I was willing them on listening to radio derby but it just seemed so inevitable; especially when we concede first this season. I'll be tuning into the wireless on Saturday but again I reckon Colin will do a number on us. Funny what an experienced manager with motivational skills can do to a team. He's a perfect fit for Rotherham. Who will our perfect be and will a) identify him b) secure his services? Bloody hope so!

Archived