Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Derby County

AmericanRam

5 minutes ago, storm said:

Was Wassall watching a different game to me?

Butterfield was our brightest central midfielder with good runs and a threat from range with his shooting. So what does our manager do...sticks him in a defensive midfield position.

Russell was a threat running directly at their defenders and did actually look like a threat.

Just at the point at which we looked to be in top of the game and were bossing the midfield, he decided to change things.

Why?

I don't agree with all of the stick that Johnson is getting on here. Play a player out of position and this is what will happen. Granted, he didn't look great when he moved to a more central position but I believe the management are destroying his confidence along with others trying to accommodate them in unfamiliar positions.

I don't know what game you were watching either... More like Jack Russell worrying sheep on a farm.

Only Martin and Butters with any credit today...

Russell has finally turned into Gary Teale. 

Theres a new song for yer:

He used to be alright... Now he is *****... Walking in A Russell wonderland.

Johnson and Shackell were train wrecks, Thorne Meh

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RamNut said:

I can understand wassall trying to be positive to lift the players, but............wtf.

there's a lot wrong and telling the players how great they are isn't going to put it right.

for example we are pushing the full backs really high which is risky, but the number of times we get it wide only for one or other - christie especially. - to just belt it backwards to keogh just defeats the whole purpose. 

Thats just one example.

As for george......?

George Thorne is on the same steep downward curve as Johnson

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

Camara has to get a start for me. I have no idea if he's any good, but he can't be any worse than the others. The problem I have with your formation is that it relies on playing too many of our players who have done nothing to earn a shirt. For me Hanson, Butterfield and Bryson all need to be playing and that requires a midfield three.

Perhaps when Hughes comes back, he will bring his class and nous to the midfield and start stringing it together. 

Harsh to criticise Ince who went looking for the ball and nearly scored, when Weimann did absolutely nothing. @Alpha - As much as the other players (bar maybe Martin and Butterfield) were awful, Weimann didn't do anything to create his own space. He is simply a 'nothing' player.

Overall though, genuinely what are we seeing tats any different at the moment? I'm seeing a slight more emphasis on players being further up the pitch with no strategy on how we get the ball to those players.

6 minutes ago, timmo said:

George Thorne is on the same steep downward curve as Johnson

I've said many times....i don't think he is either fit or mobile.

I love him but he looks worse every time.

Hanson played well in midweek but was subbed and now dropped.

Just now, Ramshackled said:

Perhaps when Hughes comes back, he will bring his class and nous to the midfield and start stringing it together. 

I do think we miss Hughes tremendously. More than we ever could've imagined. It's not just his positional sense and ability to link play, his attitude is spot on and encourages those around him. Look how often when we get a free kick that our players mooch around, dally over who will take the kick and generally look they don't really want to restart play. That never happens when Hughes is on the team, he always wants to get play moving again as quickly as possible and never gives the opposition a breather or a chance to settle.

I am really disappointed that all we scapegoat experts have failed to pick out Olsson for being directly responsible for both Wolves' goals, unless my eyes deceived me in which case please scapegoat me.

First he missed his tackle on the edge of our box. Then he missed the header which allowed the second goal. I can guarantee that Warnock would have stopped both goals.

OK we would then need to play a left winger to compensate for OAP Warnock. What, play a genuine left winger, are you in still in the 20th century, Half Fan? Yes I am and proud of it - why on earth have we bought a speedy left winger who we do not play?

We deserve to be where we are.

In the Premier League, we would take the record for the lowest number of points in a season from, er, ourselves.

I blame the players not Wassall. Poor passing, control, decision making all over the pitch. Giving the ball away time after time after time. That's why we lost today, not because of tactics. If the players did the basics properly we would have won that game comfortably instead of making wolves look much better than they are. The players should be embarrassed. Wassall has no choice but to try and stick with them and encourage them. I feel for him if that's what he gets in return. That's not wrist slashing by the way just how I genuinely feel.

Said it before and will say it again, we need a John Eustace type (old head, prepared to put his foot in and dish out a few bollockings when necessary)

Theres no steel in that midfield, we have to address this ASAP because those above us aren't going to continue to give us opportunities to catch them up for much longer. 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Problem is we're not just giving up on this season, next season as well as the new Manager will need time to bed his team/style in. Get someone in now then anything this season is a bonus but a least we will be up and running for August. 

Writing the season off in February is one thing but writing off next season in February is pretty special. 

I would say that the priority now is to stay in the playoffs, but TBH, even if we do, any of the other three would likely batter us over two legs. 

Did we get any better in the second half? Had to go out at HT so only saw the abject first half display. Didn't really see much difference to a Clement performance TBH. Same lack of urgency. Same lack of craft/invention. The same general lack of any kind of positive gameplan. Thought we were extremely fortunate to go in level against what is, in all truth, an absolutely garbage Wolves side.

1 minute ago, Half fan said:

I am really disappointed that all we scapegoat experts have failed to pick out Olsson for being directly responsible for both Wolves' goals, unless my eyes deceived me in which case please scapegoat me.

First he missed his tackle on the edge of our box. Then he missed the header which allowed the second goal. I can guarantee that Warnock would have stopped both goals.

OK we would then need to play a left winger to compensate for OAP Warnock. What, play a genuine left winger, are you in still in the 20th century, Half Fan? Yes I am and proud of it - why on earth have we bought a speedy left winger who we do not play?

We deserve to be where we are.

In the Premier League, we would take the record for the lowest number of points in a season from, er, ourselves.

Olsson got caught under the ball for the second, but I think you're being very harsh in trying to pin the first on him. He gets turned, but stays on his feet, stays goal side and forces the pass. It isn't really his fault that none of the three central players around the goalscorer managed to close him down.

3 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

I blame the players not Wassall. Poor passing, control, decision making all over the pitch. Giving the ball away time after time after time. That's why we lost today, not because of tactics. If the players did the basics properly we would have won that game comfortably instead of making wolves look much better than they are. The players should be embarrassed. Wassall has no choice but to try and stick with them and encourage them. I feel for him if that's what he gets in return. That's not wrist slashing by the way just how I genuinely feel.

This is spot on - 25 mill + of utter rubbish

1 minute ago, Reithe glas said:

But good players don't become bad players overnight. Johnson scored 15 goals in a Norwich side that got promoted last season despite sacking the manager. Shackell played in the Premier league, Olsson and Weiman are full cap internationals as are Hendrick and Martin. They aren't playing to their potential and that is down to management.

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

I would say that the priority now is to stay in the playoffs, but TBH, even if we do, any of the other three would likely batter us over two legs. 

Did we get any better in the second half? Had to go out at HT so only saw the abject first half display. Didn't really see much difference to a Clement performance TBH. Same lack of urgency. Same lack of craft/invention. The same general lack of any kind of positive gameplan. Thought we were extremely fortunate to go in level against what is, in all truth, an absolutely garbage Wolves side.

There was maybe 10 minutes after the break where we got after Wolves and looked like we might be the team pushing for a winner. We didn't manage to maintain that momentum, our subs made us worse and we deserved to lose.

3 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

I blame the players not Wassall . . . . Wassall has no choice but to try and stick with them and encourage them. I feel for him if that's what he gets in return.

A typical argument people use to defend the manager.

In total we used 14 players today. Players do have ups and downs but how likely is it for all 14 players to be bad at the same time? And don't forget we have a big (read "bloated") squad from which Wassall can pick his starting 11.

Wassall is obviously a much better man manager compared with PC. But he is simply not qualified for the job. End of story.

Still in Wolverhampton, stuck on a car park. Blocked in - there are two rows, and a moron decided to start a third, leaving my car the jam - or is that yam - in the car sandwich.

Archived