They've done their bit, time for fans to back them.

Mostyn6

This season has not gone the way any of us had imagined. Even though last season finished horrifically, the fanfare around Mel Morris’ takeover, the investment in players, and the appointment of a very highly regarded coach, culminated in a collective increase in expectation.

We started the season somewhat uninspiringly, but then shot up the league on the back of a hardworking and somewhat pragmatic series of performances which albeit unconvincing in terms of flair and creativity, were effective and made us very hard to beat.

Since the turn of the year, and we can only speculate the wheres and whys, both performances and results have deteriorated, seeing a plummet in both league position and morale around the club.

The club have made a tough decision, and possibly the only decision they could make to try and halt the downward spiral, and have removed the previous manager/head coach. Some may think this is the right decision, others may think it’s very harsh, only time will tell.

As mentioned in other threads, I was privileged enough to meet the owner, Mel Morris, on Saturday morning, and whilst unconvinced about certain things, I personally agree now that changing manager was the right move.

So? Where does this leave us?

We now have a ‘rookie’ in charge again. But, for some bizarre reason, the fans that welcomed the ex-Chelsea, Blackburn, PSG, and Real Madrid ‘rookie’ appear to be rejecting the ‘rookie’ that understands the club, knows the players, in on board with the chairman/owner and CEO, has the respect of the future players, has represented the club with 100% commitment as both player and coach!

I cannot fathom this. Why welcome head coach A and not welcome head coach B? SO what if head coach A has worked with Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic? Head coach A has no knowledge and experience of the hardwork, integrity, honesty and dedication required to succeed at this level!

I wonder if these fans refusing to back Wassall are the same fans who get all excited when Chelsea or Man United come to town. Do these fans buy in to the myth that the Premier League is the be all and end all to football? Personally, Wassall is probably better qualified and suited to manage Derby County than a big-time coaching ‘stepping down’ to a lesser level will ever be.

Everyone knows, and it’s a cliché, nothing is guaranteed in football. There is no guarantee that a manager with 500 games under his belt will do better than one with 5. I’m just a bit shocked that fans have been prepared to give an outsider the chance to succeed, but one of our own is treated like the enemy after 3 coaching sessions.

One thing that came out after the meeting with Mel Morris, was that he wants the next manager to KNOW just how good these players are. It was clear to me that Mel thought the previous manager wasn’t actually aware of how good these players can actually be.

Wassall has the job for a number of reasons, but not least because he KNOWS how good these players can be. We’ve all been moaning that we haven’t seen Ince, Martin and others playing to their best, and it seems that the previous manager didn’t know that there was more to come from these players, Wassall, for all his perceived inexperience, DOES know what these guys are capable of.

Now those of you that read this forum a lot will know I have been critical of fans on matchday, so will know that what I am about to say is not fuelled by a morning of being brainwashed by Uncle Mel, it is my genuine opinion.

The club has made its first move to improve the situation, it’s now time for the fans to show their commitment.

As fans, we have endured plenty of misery, certainly this century! But we took it, in most cases, in silence, like beaten housewife with no self-worth, we accepted being treated like a cash-cow and given nothing in return.

Right now, and I am basing this on things I have SEEN, not been told, the current lot in charge are actually walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

If you can sit in silence for years whilst being mugged off, then surely you can get behind the current set-up, at least for a couple of games, without demanding another manager, without making a big issue of lack of experience, and without being more impatient than those fans we have mocked for years.

In 2008 we were named the best fans around, right now we are a million miles from that, yet in that season, we won ONE league game and were an embarrassment on the pitch.

If you can be the best fans when the situation is the worst ever, how can you be so bad, needy, whingey and disrespectful at a time when every effort is actually being made to give fans what they want.

I hope this makes sense to you, it’s not meant to be preachy, condescending or insulting by any means, I just cannot understand how we go from being understanding and patient to not giving one of our own a chance to shine, which he has earned.

Up the Rams.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I mentioned it in another thread but as fans it is so so important that we give Wassall the patience he needs to be confident enough to stick to a style of play if the results aren't there. It's no good moaning and groaning because we'll then slip back into survival football.

Everyone needs to be on the same page.

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

This season has not gone the way any of us had imagined. Even though last season finished horrifically, the fanfare around Mel Morris’ takeover, the investment in players, and the appointment of a very highly regarded coach, culminated in a collective increase in expectation.

We started the season somewhat uninspiringly, but then shot up the league on the back of a hardworking and somewhat pragmatic series of performances which albeit unconvincing in terms of flair and creativity, were effective and made us very hard to beat.

Since the turn of the year, and we can only speculate the wheres and whys, both performances and results have deteriorated, seeing a plummet in both league position and morale around the club.

The club have made a tough decision, and possibly the only decision they could make to try and halt the downward spiral, and have removed the previous manager/head coach. Some may think this is the right decision, others may think it’s very harsh, only time will tell.

As mentioned in other threads, I was privileged enough to meet the owner, Mel Morris, on Saturday morning, and whilst unconvinced about certain things, I personally agree now that changing manager was the right move.

We now have a ‘rookie’ in charge again. But, for some bizarre reason, the fans that welcomed the ex-Chelsea, Blackburn, PSG, and Real Madrid ‘rookie’ appear to be rejecting the ‘rookie’ that understands the club, knows the players, in on board with the chairman/owner and CEO, has the respect of the future players, has represented the club with 100% commitment as both player and coach!

I cannot fathom this. Why welcome head coach A and not welcome head coach B? SO what if head coach A has worked with Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic? Head coach A has no knowledge and experience of the hardwork, integrity, honesty and dedication required to succeed at this level!

I wonder if these fans refusing to back Wassall are the same fans who get all excited when Chelsea or Man United come to town. Do these fans buy in to the myth that the Premier League is the be all and end all to football? Personally, Wassall is probably better qualified and suited to manage Derby County than a big-time coaching ‘stepping down’ to a lesser level will ever be.

Everyone knows, and it’s a cliché, nothing is guaranteed in football. There is no guarantee that a manager with 500 games under his belt will do better than one with 5. I’m just a bit shocked that fans have been prepared to give an outsider the chance to succeed, but one of our own is treated like the enemy after 3 coaching sessions.

One thing that came out after the meeting with Mel Morris, was that he wants the next manager to KNOW just how good these players are. It was clear to me that Mel thought the previous manager wasn’t actually aware of how good these players can actually be.

Wassall has the job for a number of reasons, but not least because he KNOWS how good these players can be. We’ve all been moaning that we haven’t seen Ince, Martin and others playing to their best, and it seems that the previous manager didn’t know that there was more to come from these players, Wassall, for all his perceived inexperience, DOES know what these guys are capable of.

Now those of you that read this forum a lot will know I have been critical of fans on matchday, so will know that what I am about to say is not fuelled by a morning of being brainwashed by Uncle Mel, it is my genuine opinion.

The club has made its first move to improve the situation, it’s now time for the fans to show their commitment.

As fans, we have endured plenty of misery, certainly this century! But we took it, in most cases, in silence, like beaten housewife with no self-worth, we accepted being treated like a cash-cow and given nothing in return.

Right now, and I am basing this on things I have SEEN, not been told, the current lot in charge are actually walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

If you can sit in silence for years whilst being mugged off, then surely you can get behind the current set-up, at least for a couple of games, without demanding another manager, without making a big issue of lack of experience, and without being more impatient than those fans we have mocked for years.

In 2008 we were named the best fans around, right now we are a million miles from that, yet in that season, we won ONE league game and were an embarrassment on the pitch.

If you can be the best fans when the situation is the worst ever, how can you be so bad, needy, whingey and disrespectful at a time when every effort is actually being made to give fans what they want.

I hope this makes sense to you, it’s not meant to be preachy, condescending or insulting by any means, I just cannot understand how we go from being understanding and patient to not giving one of our own a chance to shine, which he has earned.

Up the Rams.

You see Mostyn it's just like being in the PUB in the daytime on this forum. 

How many times over the years have you said something about DCFC and the answer is they are this and that and that player is this and that. 

Football is like that but hey at the end of the day we all want the best for DCFC on here and in the PUB. 

Footy is all about opinions. 

I back everyone involved 100%. Doesn't mean I have to be happy with what they're doing though. Especially when for the first time in a few years we have some players that need a serious reminder of what is expected of them.

In the last couple of years that wasn't the case. You could never fault the commitment and passion. 

But now?...

48 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Great rallying call Mostyn, think your answer can be found in one word though.....Expectations!

With you on everything else, time to get behind the team, maybe lower expectations a bit in that we can't walk the league; just hope Darren can find the right team to gel on the pitch and improve the style of play. Then we might get back to winning games with our attacking football.

Darren has my support, although his i/view was awful. Can give him benefit of the doubt as it was his first one.

I am on the "stay positive and support the team" side of things, but the players need to show some drive, commitment and willingness to engage and turn things round. Saturday was so disappointing for the lack of reaction from some of them.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Up the Rams.

I don't have another response Mostyn, I just wanted to be a nuisance and annoy @RicME85 ;)

I think in the eyes of many Darren Wassall is damaged goods following the Ipswich situation of a couple of seasons ago. As caretaker manager he was, you could say, undermined by McLaren by having to have his team rescued and motivated for him at half time. I know some say the players were making a point but nevertheless you can see the reasoning.

Now, having known what happened last time & having known what his Chairman wants & having known that the Derby fans have been sick & tired of boring football and knowing the craving for fast attacking possession based football why oh why did he resort to 4-4-2 which featured far too many long balls in his first game?

I have asked the same question in another thread. I'll give Wassell time & I never boo but Saturday has seriously left me more than a little bewildered & unconvinced.

7 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Darren has my support, although his i/view was awful. Can give him benefit of the doubt as it was his first one.

I am on the "stay positive and support the team" side of things, but the players need to show some drive, commitment and willingness to engage and turn things round. Saturday was so disappointing for the lack of reaction from some of them.

The players lack of effort and commitment to the cause is what's worrying me, i think the GK and the defence put a shift in, but in front of them, there seems a lack of interest. I back Mel and DW, but i couldn't help saying this out loud to myself has i read mostyn6's title 'They've done their bit, time for the PLAYERS to back them.

Archived