Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I will have to disagree with you on the not seeing how it works, after all, this is a long term vision, not just the next couple of seasons, the success can be achieved cos everything will be in place for a coach to succeed!

As for the dressing room, he did say he never wanted to do it again. But felt it was necessary. 

Not splitting hairs at all but Mel says 'he doesn't WANT to do it again' or 'WON'T do it again'?

If he thought it was necessary after the Reading game, he must mean the latter, as there's been a few performances that haven't been up to scratch recently.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't see it as a contradiction if he says to a manager no, that level of investment isn't in the plan, which you agreed to prior to joining.

But then you are assuming that we have spent over our budget this season.

Take out Butterfield /Johnson and we have spent circa £15m

I can say I was the first in the queue for the buffet. (Well someone had to be and eddie didn't hear it was open)

as mentioned before, I got to the end first, having had to pass on the gluten loaded bread and ultra healthy black pudding.  I too was looking around for the bacon, I couldn't have the sausage, and a guy in blue training top asked me if he could help as I was looking for something.

"bacon!" I said quite worried.

" We don't have bacon or sausage here as we try to eat heathy.  Sunday they do sausage n bacon I think for the young Accademy lads and parents"

where do we place black pudding in the heathy food top 10?

To rub salt in my open pork free wounds they brought around flap jacks with the tea and coffee.

Also, has nobody ever had black coffee with no sugar? I'm not weird you know?

Regards the rest, I brought up the wife swapping question.

It was rubbished.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Secondly, his absolute refusal to admit it was a mistake entering the dressing room to put them all 'on the carpet' doesn't fill me with confidence either.

If he'd had shown some contrition for that, I could have put it down to inexperience.  However, not only does he not regret it, he seems to see that as a reasonable part of his job, it's that level of interference in football affairs which makes me seriously doubt we'll ever see his vision of the 'Derby Way' successfully implemented. 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

As for the dressing room, he did say he never wanted to do it again. But felt it was necessary. 

It's good to hear that he doesn't want to do it again, but I agree with revel, it shouldn't have happened. If Mel has an issue with the performance of the players then go through the Manager. If the message isn't getting through then that's an issue between the Chairman and the Manager. 

I think that's where Mel being a fan comes in - if it were me, and I were the Owner/Chairman, then I'd have been straight in there giving them a piece of my mind as well, but that would be the fan in me making that decision, and I'd have probably regretted it in the cold light of day. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

But then you are assuming that we have spent over our budget this season.

Take out Butterfield /Johnson and we have spent circa £15m

In which case, you give a manager 25 million to spend, but not expect it to impact on the chances of progression for Academy prospects?

A good read thanks and sounds like you got a good cross section of members to attend. If you're so hung up on the lack of pork why didn't you ask? Maybe it's a cultural thing? Or a dietary thing? Anyway, eating bacon before a game would make you hellishly thirsty.

im left wondering now though why so many are still going on and on about the dressing room rant. You have your answer, it's almost like you think this one thing means he meddles in everything. I wish you'd let it drop now, it's been done to death. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

M8 he was right and another thing why did Hanson not make Wassalls bench if he's good enough. 

Because (judging from a few comments in the write ups) Clement requested Morris sanctioned big money for Butterfield and Johnson, moving Hanson even further down the pecking order. Hanson hasn't looked out of place in the Championship when he's played, but it's obviously going to be difficult to break into the first team if the manager brings in 2 players for a combined 10 million in your position.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Because (judging from a few comments in the write ups) Clement requested Morris sanctioned big money for Butterfield and Johnson, moving Hanson even further down the pecking order. Hanson hasn't looked out of place in the Championship when he's played, but it's obviously going to be difficult to break into the first team if the manager brings in 2 players for a combined 10 million in your position.

Hanson is primarily a Centre back he simply isn't good enough yet in midfield for the Championship week in week out. 

He's ok in short bursts from the bench 

Thank you for the write up - it was certainly worth the wait. 

Are there still some people's perspectives that haven't been given? It's always good to get them all as people do interpret things differently (as this Forum demonstrates on a regular basis!)

Also I find it reassuring that Mr Morris doesn't want to repeat his dressing room visit again, shows he is aware of the impact even though he believes it was the right thing to do. Hopefully performances mean he won't have to.

I have worked for companies and charities where the Chair has been quite active on a day to day basis so I am maybe less surprised than others by this aspect of Mel's role. 

Maybe what I have mostly got from the visit is that our football club is just like any other business trying to be the best that it can be. Lots of what goes on sounds very routine yet there are 30,000 extra 'shareholders' focusing in on everything. Can't be easy! 

Just now, curtains said:

Hanson is primarily a Centre back he simply isn't good enough yet in midfield for the Championship week in week out. 

He's ok in short bursts from the bench 

And if Clement/Mel/transfer-team didn't bring in both Johnson and Butterfield on deadline day, Hanson would have been getting those short bursts from the bench which would have helped improve his ability. Now the lad has Johnson, Butterfield, Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick, Thorne and Baird all ahead of him so probably won't see much first team action unless he goes out on loan.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Thank you for the write up - it was certainly worth the wait. 

Are there still some people's perspectives that haven't been given? It's always good to get them all as people do interpret things differently (as this Forum demonstrates on a regular basis!)

Also I find it reassuring that Mr Morris doesn't want to repeat his dressing room visit again, shows he is aware of the impact even though he believes it was the right thing to do. Hopefully performances mean he won't have to.

I have worked for companies and charities where the Chair has been quite active on a day to day basis so I am maybe less surprised than others by this aspect of Mel's role. 

Maybe what I have mostly got from the visit is that our football club is just like any other business trying to be the best that it can be. Lots of what goes on sounds very routine yet there are 30,000 extra 'shareholders' focusing in on everything. Can't be easy! 

Just so you know who was in attendance...

Daveo, Eddie, Mostyn, Boycie, G Star Ram, Alpha, Ambitious, Mozza, Rammieb and myself.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

And if Clement/Mel/transfer-team didn't bring in both Johnson and Butterfield on deadline day, Hanson would have been getting those short bursts from the bench which would have helped improve his ability. Now the lad has Johnson, Butterfield, Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick, Thorne and Baird all ahead of him so probably won't see much first team action unless he goes out on loan.

Who cares he isn't yet good enough. 

Just now, curtains said:

What do you mean please explain ! 

It's not rocket science - people have insinuated that Mel was interfering with the team selection and favours the youth players getting a chance. Also comments have been made about Wassall only getting the job because of his relationship with Mel. 

Hanson suddenly turning up on the teamsheet would have had the conspiracy theorists going nuts.

Archived