Have Clement's struggles highlighted how good McClaren was for us?

Thierry Ennui

I think with the whole Newcastle fiasco it's easy to forget just how good we were for much of McClaren's tenure.

In my view McClaren's stint was largely flawless, until the second half of last season when his issues with the squad were:

- Leaky defence

- Dodgy goalkeeper

- Lack of depth in central midfield

- Lack of an able deputy to an injured Martin (and his specific role)

- Lack of depth on the wings due to injury (Ward), personal issues (Dawkins), leaving (Ibe)

I reckon the top three have been solved with new signings, the fourth hasn't been an issue (ignoring Martin's loss of form which in my opinion is more down to our slow, lacklustre play) and the fifth is debatable.

If Newcastle had gone elsewhere I think we'd be sitting pretty right now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this. If Newcastle didn't tap Steve up, and if Clement didn't become available (I don't think Steve would have been sacked otherwise and I don't think Newcastle would have went for him unless he was free) we would be playing more attractive football on a very good base of defence.

McClaren was brilliant for us.

The way McClaren set us up suited almost every single player in the squad - Bryson benefited from Martin feeding him the ball, and Martin benefited from Bryson making runs past him.  Eustace or Thorne sitting gave Bryson license to get forward and Hughes the chance to roam around and find space, while the sitter's lack of mobility wasn't getting exposed.  Dominating possession suited Keogh and Buxton, allowing them to get on the ball and pass while minimising the amount of defending they had to do.  And so on and so on.  What's interesting is whether McClaren looked at the squad and decided that he wanted to play this way to get the best out of the squad, or whether it was a happy coincidence that the two matched up so well.  I suspect it's probably a bit of both, but he certainly did a far better job of getting the most out of the squad he had than Clement did.

I do agree to an extent but would it could be that McClaren improved a team with no expectations and Clement managed a team with expectations.

Teams have definitely sat back against us under Clement, whether this was due to his possession type style of play or maybe teams knew Derby can attack.

I think we need to stop comparing managers and appreciate that these 2 managers may have laid the foundations for a future premier league team 

30 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

I do agree to an extent but would it could be that McClaren improved a team with no expectations and Clement managed a team with expectations.

Teams have definitely sat back against us under Clement, whether this was due to his possession type style of play or maybe teams knew Derby can attack.

I think we need to stop comparing managers and appreciate that these 2 managers may have laid the foundations for a future premier league team 

Unfair. We were many people's favourites last season. For this reason we were more controlling than attacking. We had to do this because teams were aware of us, how we played and our danger men. As a result of this we weren't getting as much space. The football wasn't quite as breathtaking as 13/14 because of this but it was still easy on the eye, we still committed players forward and we still scored for fun.

On the few occasions we did find some space we scored some absolutely gorgeous team goals (Hendrick's first against Bolton, Hendrick's second against Wolves, Russell's against Brighton, for example)

If anything it shows how good Clement is. He had to pick up the pieces left by

McLaren,get us sorted,and then took us on a run of 19 matches with only 1 defeat

and took us to top,goes on a blip like all the other teams,yet still only 6 points from

top 2 and still in playoff positions. Then gets sacked.

3 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

If anything it shows how good Clement is. He had to pick up the pieces left by

McLaren,get us sorted,and then took us on a run of 19 matches with only 1 defeat

and took us to top,goes on a blip like all the other teams,yet still only 6 points from

top 2 and still in playoff positions. Then gets sacked.

McClaren took a team that was mid-table for years to a playoff final in half a season. Spending no money.

Archived