Have Clement's struggles highlighted how good McClaren was for us?

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was just a pity Mac didn't have the money Clement had, the football would have been even better to watch than under negative Clement style.

Hearing Mel talk about Derby performances over the last two seasons how he wants that to continue, why sack the bloke who created those performances, I don't think for one minute it was Toon talk?

42 minutes ago, Anon said:

I was a big fan of the entire management team. Mac, Simmo, and Steele. They got our team playing the best football since The Bald Eagle and a certain promising young coach were in charge back in the 90's.

I seem  to recall MM saying at the time that it was a behind the scene clash with SM on how things are run rather than the end of season form and Newcastle speculation that got the latter sacked. 

Hindsight, is a wonderful thing. I do miss that football, but we also played some beautiful attacking stuff with GB. 

He did a fantastic job...  Right up to the point he started making doe eyes at Mike "king of the Pikey's" Ashley!!!  Good managers come into a club, assess what they've got to work with and set a system in place to make the most of what they have.  Schteve was excellent in that regard.  The difference between Florest game when Nigel was in charge and the Leeds game he was in charge was night & day, despite it being pretty much the same team.  The wheels only came off when the tools he had to work with changed with Martin & Thorne getting injured and flirting with Newcastle.  He only had himself to blame...

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

It only takes the introduction of a donkey into proceedings to make everyone believe that the pony on offer was a thoroughbred racehorse.

Yes, some of the praise for SM on this forum seems a bit over the top to me.

At start of 13/14 I’m pretty sure NC thought he had the makings of a top 6 side - but it only gelled a few times (the games against Yeovil and Millwall stand out). The start wasn’t great and he made some overly cautious substitutions at home that got the fans on his back - but we weren’t playing that badly overall. There was a lot of promise in that side and I fully expected NC would be given the season to pull it together. All credit to SM when he came in and did a fantastic job. No argument. I loved everything about the rest of that season. SM looked like a thoroughbred.

However, the following season I thought it only to took the serious drop in form of a single player (Bryson) for a lot of the stylish attacking football seen in 13/14 to practically disappear. It was so fragile. I don’t think SM ever managed to sort that out and improve performances close to 13/14 standards. I thought most of the players he brought in were pretty poor. He started to look a bit more like a pony.

But given the results were going so well in 14/15 I wasn’t going to complain. The defence were doing fine right up to the end of February with a record number of clean sheets. We looked certain to be automatically promoted. Then key injuries, coupled with the terrible replacements (mostly brought in under SM I think), led to the total collapse in both performances and results. At that point SM looked completely and utterly clueless. At that point he looked like a donkey.

But there was still a lot of promise in the squad and I fully expected SM would be given the following season to pull it all together...and so it goes...

What a load of rubbish name one player that signed and improved the team,The spirit .the players,were at the club.

It had been assembled over 2 years and were expected to finish top six,for the first time in a long 4 years of cost cutting,

Expectation was  growing for the side to succeed,,McClaren-Steele-Simpson,fans favorites came in,and the team took off,

McClaren was a brilliant coach,but always failed at management,the key is continuation of a squad knowing when and who to change.McClaren always failed at this,and the new recruitment program.with a director of football put together by Sam Rush,failed him,And i think it has failed Paul Clement

Yes.

No-one is suggesting that McClaren was perfect; he wasn't. But he was the best manager we have had since TBE and, instead of persevering with him, we ran him out...and ran him down such that I doubt we could ever welcome him back.

Clement had potential. Sacking him was a disgrace in my view. To take the risk on a novice manager and then sack him after only five months of an eight month season just screams one of three things: either (a) Mel falls in and out of love with managers far too easily, belying the otherwise excellent longer term strategy; (b) the players simply have too much 'say' when there's conflict in the dressing room; or (c) Mel's an autocrat prone to panic beneath the calm public exterior.

If any of those three are even partly true, we will steadily lose the credibility required to attract top class managers.

For the record, I cannot recall ever being so bemused by a decision. The explanation given makes no sense whatsoever. Indeed, it served only to make Mel look ridiculous. To me, it signals an expectation and acceptance that promotion is not possible this season or, if it happens, will be for one season only. Again. If we stick to the 'plan' of DW coaching until your summer (which would be the first time in years we've made such a decision without already having the replacement in the wings) AND he rallies the team to promotion...then someone else gets the task of keeping us in the Premiership without the goodwill earned from winning promotion....good luck with that!

I just hope that we intend to appoint soon but cannot announce it yet. Otherwise, DW is on a hiding to nothing. Any agitation in the squad will ferment knowing Wassal is only seat warming. And DW must wonder about not really having a real show of getting the job.

Hardly a recipe for calming the jitters.

On 11 February 2016 at 15:39, valleyram said:

any coach who tells Craig Bryson to sit and not make forward runs is clueless , I give you steve McLaren

Mmmm, was it not in mclarens first season that Bryson got his highest goals return in one season ever?

Maybe you should rephrase slightly 

Any coach who try's to get Craig Bryson to adapt his game is clueless, the player can only play one way.

Archived