Have Clement's struggles highlighted how good McClaren was for us?

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve got us playing really well, but showed a total lack of skill when things needed changing. Paul Clement i still feel should have had the season, yes the football wasnt as entertaining but it isnt like we are out of the hunt. I appreciate Mel has a different outlook, its his business, his decisions at the end of the day.

The manager for me that has made the biggest contribution in recent times is clough, thinks its fair to say he wasnt taking us up, but steadying the ship and at least pointing us in the right direction was as big a success, if not morso, than getting us promotion.

7 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

McClaren's first season and a half was great.  Then he turned into a snake, sniffing around the Newcastle job derailing the promotion push.  I would never want him back.

I didn't think snakes were able to sniff more they use their tongues to sense odours. 

Mclaren did a great job - but those last 8 games or so did it for me, we still don't know

the full story. Perhaps someone ITK could find out what the players answer for that was

as it wasn't all down to Martin being injured (with Bent and Ince knocking em in for fun)????

had he lost the dressing room or not!

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

8 clean sheets in 10 consecutive matches,1 defeat in 19 matches ,took us to top

and you call that rubbish? Don't know a lot do you?

Big deal. Found the best possible sequence of stats did you? Want me to rattle back some negative stats for you? Watching bad football is like determining whats obscene. As Justice Potter Stewart said, "i know it when I see it." McClaren defended like a donkey, and relied on the genius of Hughes and Bryson for his attacks, and couldn't win the games that mattered. He's also being out-coached right now by pretty much every premier league manager. Clement knew how to pack a defence in, obviously from all those coaching courses, but he couldn't figure out how to create goalscoring chances with the best set of attacking players in the league. I'll trust that Sam and Mel can find someone far better.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Prefer Clement to Mclaren

He will change things where Mclaren had plan a only.

He also failed to even make the top 6 with a team that should of been top 2 IMO

If McClaren's team should have been top two, then where do you think that Clement's team should have been with the additional amount of money thrown at the first team squad?

Can't have it both ways.

33 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Big deal. Found the best possible sequence of stats did you? Want me to rattle back some negative stats for you? Watching bad football is like determining whats obscene. As Justice Potter Stewart said, "i know it when I see it." McClaren defended like a donkey, and relied on the genius of Hughes and Bryson for his attacks, and couldn't win the games that mattered. He's also being out-coached right now by pretty much every premier league manager. Clement knew how to pack a defence in, obviously from all those coaching courses, but he couldn't figure out how to create goalscoring chances with the best set of attacking players in the league. I'll trust that Sam and Mel can find someone far better.

This only happened in our poor run of form, in our good run of form we had the best goal difference in the league. 

9 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

You could be right but at the same rate that the tide receded on McLarens lonely island of hair, his interest in other jobs increased. If not Newcastle, then another club would eventually would've turned his head.

In which case the tuft would have looked utterly ridiculous as a sort of weird stunted ponytail. ?

The football under Clement was awlful, im not interested in the stats the football was dire. He has gone now,get behind the team and it will come.The Premier league is achieveable with patience and everybody getting behind the rams.Play the players in their best positions and who knows the shabolic performances of the recent months will dissipate and we will turn into a team again . Just give the boys a bit more time and in their  best formaton and positions and we will turn back into a great team again. It wont take much , just wait and see.

Being a McClaren brown nose I didn't need it highlighting. I knew how good we were when he was here. 

A lot went wrong at the end of last season. Some his fault, some not. 

Injuries obliterating 2 positions especially.

Trying to play the same way without the players needed. Would be like the Stoke Pulis side playing long balls to a midget after Crouch and Co are injured. We lost all the players that we needed to play our way

Stupid stories and the Newcastle thing

Ridiculous expectation and pressure like we're Real Madrid

Constant change of the defence killing the composure and confidence of the defensive side of our game

But with time to reflect and a summer to put it right it would have been good to see him have a go.

For all the outrage for finishing 8th... look were he picked us up. Midtable, celebrating draws away, losing more than we won every year, 600 fans away from home and a home attendance slipping down to the lower 20k's

He gave a free flowing attacking team who were full of goals and entertainment. A great team spirit, a play off final and an 8th place finish. 

In less than 2 seasons. 

Probably hyping him up a bit too much but people were slaughtering him last season. Was very harsh. You wouldn't dare dream of what we dream of now if McClaren didn't have his spell. 

Archived