Butterfield

Wolfie20

He's the one player who is proving that the money to bring him here was well spent. I know he was a replacement for Hughes and I'm not sure how or where he'll fit in when Will returns bit I think he's a pleasure to watch.

If we were playing well then he would be even better because he has a quick brain, 2 good feet and can pass short and long.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How quick do Man U play tho' 

I think there were one or two of ours tonight that looked good - Butterfield obviously and  Thorne, these two can only improve, they've got age on their side.  

If someone asked me who cost £6m between Butterfield and Johnson I know what my answer would be...

So, what would the midfield look like when Hughes and Bryson are fully fit. I really wouldn't want to see Butterfield or Thorne dropped so could Hughes be played wide in the front three (IIRC he played there against Villarreal) and Bryson in place of Johnson?

Would that make us too lightweight in the middle? Would we change formation instead? Is Johnson getting a game because of how much he cost or would he come back to life with Hughes and Bryson playing?

I don't know but top and tail is I'd like to keep GT and JB in but I think Hughes is too good not to play and I think we miss the energy of Bryson...

Guess that's why Clement get the money

I rate Butterfield, in fairness when Bradley started i thought 'whats he doing playing at this level' he was superb...For me tuesday i would start with Butterfield, Thorne, Bryson/Hendrick.

He had a poor start but he is a quality player , Johnson I just don't know how he starts , when you have a big squad and quality players watching those performances and you keep selecting him you are on the way to having an unhappy dressing room , PC has major problems 

Butterfield can play anywhere in midfield and behind the striker so can fit in and do a job anywhere.  From all boros departures in last 5 years or so he is the only one i miss and would have back. Quality player and if you ever get to meet him you will see he is a nice fella with his head firmly screwed on.

18 minutes ago, valleyram said:

He had a poor start but he is a quality player , Johnson I just don't know how he starts , when you have a big squad and quality players watching those performances and you keep selecting him you are on the way to having an unhappy dressing room , PC has major problems 

Devil's advocate...who else can play the role he plays and rough the opposition up? And yes I am aware that he has not been doing it recently

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Devil's advocate...who else can play the role he plays and rough the opposition up? And yes I am aware that he has not been doing it recently

Probably no-one. But the key point in your post is the last sentence rather than the first. 

I didn't see him play for Norwich so I don't know for sure where he played, but I understand it to be as left sided midfield, with a remit to go forward. We're playing him as a deep central enforcer. He might have the physical attributes for that, but it's clearly not his best position. 

We have too many players out of position and it is showing. 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Zachary!

Remember all last season we needed some bulk and presence in the midfield. How we were too easily pushed aside by the more mature teams.

And it does seem to me a few have forgotten how BJ and Butters started comparatively. I seem to recall quite a few fans bagging Butterfield big time early on, whereas Johnson started pretty well.

As Johnson and several others lost their way a bit in recent weeks, Butterfield has stepped up beautifully. We'll get back. Every side has a lull through the season.

Butters is quality.

When PC said in the summer they were perhaps one light in midfield, I think we'd already been trying to get butters in but when Bryson and Hughes both went long term down in the first half of the first game, it forced the situation - Huddersfield knew it and got as much as they could for him but he is quality.

Johnson was a bit more of a surprise deal and less thought through it seems and I can't help but think his price was more to do with getting the deal done before transfer deadline and our suddenly light looking midfield options. But the fundimental truth is the price is what someone is willing to pay.

I thought Butterfield looked fairly comfortable in midfield against a good side.

He was just about our best player on the night, didn't lose composure.

Warnock had a good game and poor old Cyrus was just left on his own against Martial, although Christie looked good coming forwards.

Johnson sometimes looks like a Savage type player, just charging around hoping to get a chance off a poor touch.

Back to Butterfield and I can just see him getting better and better.

Yep, a good signing along with the re-signing of shackel and maybe Camara has potential as he has pace but we will see, all the others signed since last season ended could easily have not been signed for what they are contributing so far this season

Archived