The style of play

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, alanmarklewis said:

Warnock has been quality recently, I think he is just another scapegoat. It's the whole team...

He was the captain today. I just think some of us are forward thinking enough to realise the efficiency of not waiting until the armband drags down his performance level and just moving straight to the scapegoat phase.  Soon we'll have the process so refined that we can start abusing members of future captains' families before they've even joined us.

Martin has been poor for a long time now i mention this because of the current warnock discussion on this thread may play a part in this. Point being since forsyth has been injured martin has struggled.

I think forsyth was extremely important in the way we play  'the derby way' especially in a 4-3-3. Today in particular we struggled down the left and the guy who has picked up on the warnock not being quick enough to get back (and forward imo) may have a very valid point.

3 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Martin has been poor for a long time now i mention this because of the current warnock discussion on this thread may play a part in this. Point being since forsyth has been injured martin has struggled.

I think forsyth was extremely important in the way we play  'the derby way' especially in a 4-3-3. Today in particular we struggled down the left and the guy who has picked up on the warnock not being quick enough to get back (and forward imo) may have a very valid point.

Completely agree. 

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

This is what I'm trying to get at, the style we play requires full backs that can get up and down the wing. Forsyth was as important tracking back as he was going forward and we are missing that. Not bashing Warnock as some are saying.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Add Bryson to that post and I'd totally agree, Forsyth did the running to cut back for Martin, Bryson likewise bombed on and got close to link up and feed off him.

For all the Martin haters, Blackman showed today if you don't get the service, you wont stand a chance of scoring. The system hasn't suited Martin, no wonder his energy levels dropped and body language showed signs of frustration. The guy was getting no service compared to last year.

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

The problem in this regard is shackell IMO. He really struggles to open his body up to play the ball out to the left back.  Time after time, Keogh plays the ball across to shackell, the left back makes a run and shackell looks, then plays it back to Keogh. It's been going all season, regardless of who the left back was.  It's a big part of why our tempo is so low as well. We just don't recycle possession quickly enough from the back 4 into midfield.

I think I've seen enough pace and "beating his man" from these players.

Would be nice to see some good passing and movement. 

good = fast and accurate. 

Please spare me the whole dribbling at pace routine. Sick of seeing players looking for personal glory. 

I haven't watched much of the football this year but I still rate Martin and therefore came to the conclusion it must be the lack of service behind his performances. Blackman may yet prove it. We need Hughes back...

I haven't been for a while as I've a lot of personal stuff going on but went on Tuesday...

The possession stuff doesn't suit us, but then again we had half a dozen different players from last season. Martin looked tired and/or bored on Tuesday, with players appearing happy to let another team member try and pull something out of their backside.

Most disappointing of all was the crowd reaction 15 minutes in. I think we've either been spoilt with signings or our expectations are too high in a very tough league. 

On, and the f'ing M43 > M5 junction was closed :)

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Nope he is right. Warnock has been solid for us but whenever he pushes high up, he is too slow to get back and we got destroyed on that side today

Nitpicking.

Warnock replacement is least of our worries he defends very well, can get forward, keep it, cross it.

If you are going to blaime Warnock for not being a Fozzy or Christie then what do you make of caddis and Robinson for them. I dread to think, but they know how to stop us thats for sure.

I think we have got a style , were just not implementing it at the moment. We can play some good possesion football and have been recognised for that even as far back as when nigel was here. To play our style we need a consistent core of players to play this system , regardless of form players that are vital to us stamping a style and stamping it consistently are Carson,  shackell , Thorne and Martin everyone around that can be interchangeable but these players are key to how we play all for their own individual qualities ! 

4 hours ago, YouRams said:

We are crying out for a quick young left back. Warnock has been a decent fill in but he simply can't get back if he's pushed up. We are being killed on the counter down that wing. 

Bizarre. Warnock has been one of our best players since getting a regular place. I stand to be corrected but I can't remember many occasions when goals have been conceded due to Warnock being caught out of position. 

41 minutes ago, CheltenhamRam said:

I haven't been for a while as I've a lot of personal stuff going on but went on Tuesday...

The possession stuff doesn't suit us, but then again we had half a dozen different players from last season. Martin looked tired and/or bored on Tuesday, with players appearing happy to let another team member try and pull something out of their backside.

Most disappointing of all was the crowd reaction 15 minutes in. I think we've either been spoilt with signings or our expectations are too high in a very tough league. 

On, and the f'ing M43 > M5 junction was closed :)

I got off the M42 at junction 3 and went down through Alcester towards Tewkesbury and back on the M5 at j9! 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Bizarre. Warnock has been one of our best players since getting a regular place. I stand to be corrected but I can't remember many occasions when goals have been conceded due to Warnock being caught out of position. 

He was caught out today in the build up that led to conceding the corner they scored from. I've noticed it a lot even during games we are playing well in. Its not a coincidence that games Weimann has played in people have said how well he's played defensively. Plus he has Shackell covering. I'm not slating him he's been solid, but in our 433 system I'd put Forsyth in over him every day of the week because of the legs. 

Since Blackman has come in we have no right footed players playing,Camara another left footed player, balance looks all wrong and this resembles the side Arthur cox had with Johnson ,Simpson and Pembridge.We are trying to accommodate  and it don't work.PC should take a lot of the blame since he changed the side v Leeds , he had one eye on Boro game and since then he has lost it, back to basics but balance required but we don't have a decent right footed player, Bennett out on loan and Dawkins never given a chance gone we are going to struggle and limp through this season if he don't get it sorted quick.

Archived