The style of play

North_Stand_Ram

6 hours ago, Palmo said:

No way that he can start the next game. Poor performance after poor performance...

In the 20 odd minutes that Razza has had he's created more than Johnny has in his last 4 games.

Struggling to think of anything in the 20 mins today!!!

A corner to the 1st man and 1 massively overnight cross immediately after, no link up and interchange with others - generally disappointed tbh, but it's early days, I'm hopeful of better things to come

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Struggling to think of anything in the 20 mins today!!!

A corner to the 1st man and 1 massively overnight cross immediately after, no link up and interchange with others - generally disappointed tbh, but it's early days, I'm hopeful of better things to come

That's just a testament to how little Russell did...

For me it's not about the fact of who is playing badly, it's more that we don't appear to be playing to players strengths.

Warnock cannot overlap like Forsyth and that gives the winger, Russell, few options in attack.

Midfielders and wingers seem to be very regimented in keeping our shape, which means Martin is isolated and without movement around him, he is ineffective.

Johnson appears to be on a leash - he's better when he plays with freedom and bullies the opposition.

That said, it usually gives us a very solid platform to build from and we are difficult to score against.  

It's very cautious in approach, but we won't get many sound beatings.  We just won't dish many out either.

9 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Oh yeah, Russell couldn't take on his man against Fulham when he created a goal out of nothing...

4 goals in 13 months... 

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's a winger, it's not his job to score goals, what's his assist stats out of interest?

Not as good as Ince I'd imagine... If not then I apologise...

Russell may work hard and runs all day for the team....

But he hasn't got one thing many other wingers have.... Ruthlessness... 

Ince I agree not showing his talent this season... But I'd trust him to be a matchwinner over Russell anyday.... 

Also I'd trust Bent to be a matchwinner over Weiman... But that's another story

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Not as good as Ince I'd imagine... If not then I apologise...

Russell may work hard and runs all day for the team....

But he hasn't got one thing many other wingers have.... Ruthlessness... 

Ince I agree not showing his talent this season... But I'd trust him to be a matchwinner over Russell anyday.... 

Also I'd trust Bent to be a matchwinner over Weiman... But that's another story

I agree that Ince is a better player but Russell's industry is not to be underestimated. His running off the ball is often essential for players like Martin to find space.

Also, his directness used to be a real threat but along with Ince, this element of his game seems to have been coached out due to Clement's seeming fear of losing possession.

24 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I agree that Ince is a better player but Russell's industry is not to be underestimated. His running off the ball is often essential for players like Martin to find space.

Also, his directness used to be a real threat but along with Ince, this element of his game seems to have been coached out due to Clement's seeming fear of losing possession.

Agree especially last few sentences.... Ince and Russell seem to run down blind alleys as of late... 

Something has to give.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's a winger, it's not his job to score goals, what's his assist stats out of interest?

he has 5 assists...the most at the club which is 2 less than Harry Bunn who has 7 assists. Overall he has contributed 9 goals to the team (scored+assisted). Martin has 13 and Ince has 11 which statistically makes wor Johnny our 3rd biggest attacking threat. Obviously he has had more game time than players such as Weimann but based on these statistics, theres probably a reason for this....

Apparently he offers nothing though

The way I see it is that we need more forward passing. I posted before that we're missing George Thornes forward incisive passing. You rarely see him take those chances anymore, he's always passing sideways or backwards in the effort to keep possession. When we release Thorne and allow him to use his vision then we will see the best out of the team.

First time poster but long time reader, my credentials 30 years a season ticket holder and I consider myself to have a very good understanding of our game.

Mr Clements first proper job so he should be given time but the entertainment has disappeared and did so very early on in the season instead opting for keep it tight Nick a goal or two mentality which is fine away from home but difficult at home hench average teams get draws, good teams get draws and poor teams get beat at the ipro. Which actually seems to mirror the way  Man U are conducting themselves this year.

players available, for me Carson over grant but not too much in it

fullbacks currently missing a very good player for us in Forsyth who contributed to so many attacks for us also with excellent airial ability defensively sound as well, currently being covered by warnock who is good cover but can't do the attacking side throughout a game. Christie, doing decent but it must be frustrating never getting a decent ball overlapping ince.

centre halfs  shackle and Keogh both very good with good cover from Buxton Pearce shotton rawson etc

midfielders, what style of play would we be doing now if Hughes and Bryson were fit? With a marauding hendrick and Thorne supplementing them. Butterfleld is a good player and will be useful with the right partners. Johnson will and has had his good moments but with the speed and turning circle of an aircraft carrier he may find himself on the bench with the other picks available.

forward type players

martin with fast accurate passing he is excellent without it I could do as well, Blackman- I do not see the point apart from a bit of cover (may as well play the kids) bent I do not understand why he does not get on the pitch because he scores goals. Wieman, I am not sure he is suited to anything as yet, ince has quality at championship level but is so predictable. Russell well I like him because he always tries to beat a man although can be frustrating but remembering that he has cover for warnock he always earns a spot in the team at some point in a game, to  camara, well he does seem to have pace doesn't he, so we will see but even when we were drawing 1-1 against reading or losing to brum why is he back in our box when the opposition have a corner and not near the halfway line.

enough muttering for now 

1 hour ago, Shang said:

The way I see it is that we need more forward passing. I posted before that we're missing George Thornes forward incisive passing. You rarely see him take those chances anymore, he's always passing sideways or backwards in the effort to keep possession. When we release Thorne and allow him to use his vision then we will see the best out of the team.

Too many people would rather stand around and admire their previous slow pass than move. And others are only interested in dribbling into the goal. Those choose to pass when blocked. 

Team of glory hunters. 

If this was sex their idea of foreplay would be to spit on it and put it in

what annoyed me yesterday was our slow pace of play. In particular playing away from a corner. On one occasion Hendrick picked up the ball just outside our box, turned to take it forward got about 10 yards forward and realised that no one was even trying to lush out or try to create an attack. Its ridiculous.

It been sussed.... we've been sussed _ 

Its interesting what you say Shang, i was listening to talk sport and they had Frank McClintock on this morning, he was saying how this style of play which was developed in Spain has gone too far, and that teams without the players like Messi etc cant exploit it efficiently and end up with 40 passes in the first two thirds of the pitch but dont penetrate the oppositions defense,  and its boring! I can see his point. Teams who know that you are that type of team sit back and let you do just that, then break on you, we've seen it happen against us.... I'm no PC, but we need to find an alternative style to adopt against those types of team if poss, i like to think thats why we're being linked with wingers because PC realises that and is looking....

We need a plan B and C

Archived