The style of play

North_Stand_Ram

What are we trying to achieve? I understand being pacient and trying to dominate the ball but the players are taking the easy option with the ball. Johnny used to be all about running at people, but now he always takes the easy option and plays it backwards to Warnock. What are the coaching staff telling them to do? No urgency, no cutting edge, borderline boring.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

As someone in another thread said, Clement has coached the creativeness out of our game winners like Ince

We are crying out for a quick young left back. Warnock has been a decent fill in but he simply can't get back if he's pushed up. We are being killed on the counter down that wing. 

Just now, McLovin said:

Nope he is right. Warnock has been solid for us but whenever he pushes high up, he is too slow to get back and we got destroyed on that side today

No he is not right, Warnock has played for 2 or 3 months now and had been rock solid. Offers little going forward but has given very little away at the back.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

No he is not right, Warnock has played for 2 or 3 months now and had been rock solid. Offers little going forward but has given very little away at the back.

He's been solid when he's been back defending yes, my point is when he attacks he simply doesn't have the legs to get back. 

More likely to win under McClaren.

Less likely to lose under Clement.

That's the way I see it with our style now and I think I prefer the McClaren style. It was entertaining to watch and our players looked like they enjoyed themselves. Hopefully Clement changes it up because at the minute, it's boring, slow and our players don't seem to be having fun. Even when we score and they celebrate, lately they've just looked more relieved than excited about it.

We are about to find out whether pc is out of his depth or not , my gut feeling is that he is ,adding a left back won't cut it , having good players is only one part of the jigsaw, can anybody honestly say that all round team play has not taken a massive backward step this season? We have gone from being flowing and goal getting machine to looking like we could not score in a brothel and that shows no sign of improving whilst nicking results we have looked more and more clueless game on game , my gut feeling from interviews is players me be suffering from paralysis by analysis ?

24 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Russell has to take some of that blame too, he can never take on his man and is just all around useless. 

No way that he can start the next game. Poor performance after poor performance...

In the 20 odd minutes that Razza has had he's created more than Johnny has in his last 4 games.

40 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

*Average. He was always average, we just covered for him before.

It wasn't so much 'covered for him' as played to his strengths.  Under McClaren we had a style of play that suited every player in the squad, and by and large, when we signed someone they fit into the style too.  Just stuff like having Bryson make runs from midfield beyond Martin helps both players. All of our back 4 were good on the ball, which helps the midfield out when under pressure.  We had wingers that liked to drift in field and link up with a forward, helping Martin and the wingers.  The pieces all fit together, so to speak. This season, the signings have been al over the place.  We seemingly still want to play the ball out from the back, but we have shackell and Johnson who are dreadful on the ball, which slows down our play.  We seemingly still want to play a lone striker, so why have we signed Weimann who can't play as a lone striker, and is poor out wide? I can't understand from watching the games when clement is even trying to achieve with his tactics.

10 minutes ago, alanmarklewis said:

Warnock has been quality recently, I think he is just another scapegoat. It's the whole team...

If I was looking for a scapegoat it wouldn't be Warnock. As I said defensively he's been sound, when it comes to getting back after attacking he's not got the legs. Watch the highlights.

Archived