RIP David Bowie

admira

1 hour ago, mozza said:

You don't know what you're missing/have missed..

With respect ..:)

Pete, I know how much his music meant to you. I introduced you to Ziggy, then You met the gnome, the grave-digger, London Boys. Major Tom, the diamond dogs, the spiders from Mars and many other heroes.

Like Lester's wife and so many others we have lost an eccentric but highly respected and entertaining friend today!

His music is unique and timeless.

A great legacy to the world.

Ziggy played Guitar!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Never liked Bowie's music

These days when someone famous dies that you didn't care for are a pain in the arse on social media :(

This says more about you than it does about the passing of someone who was an icon to many millions of people.

Bowie = great music!

Whenever someone dies, there's always a handful of smart arses who like to declare how they didn't like them when they were alive, and still don't like them when they're dead. What's the point? Has it crossed your mind that all these people are praising him are huge fans? "Bandwagon"?? This is David Bowie ffs, not a random session musician - he's not famous because people suddenly like him now he's dead.

Anyway.

If there's a measure of how much of a genius David Bowie is, he's even re-invented the way pop stars handle death.

Can't say I've ever listened to his music much or been exposed to him at all really, but a very good friend of mine is distraught this morning, and that resonates. Much like the feeling when a family member of a good friend dies, and that speaks volume of his work and his life in general. 

Condolences to all.

11 minutes ago, curtains said:

Nearly put that song up first thing this morning, never really much took on him probably because of his eccentricity and a bit before my time, then I saw him play Live Aid on the box and that just changed my opinion massively; if it wasn't for Freddie Mercury/Queen stealing the show (U2/Bono to a lesser extent), that song captured the whole moment - gave me a long in my throat and made me want to see him live.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Whenever someone dies, there's always a handful of smart arses who like to declare how they didn't like them when they were alive, and still don't like them when they're dead.

In almost 7 years now running this forum this is without doubt the worst things on this forum. People that feel the need to be disrespectful towards someone that has died.

Michael Jackson, Jade Goody, Maggy Thatcher and now David Bowie.

It's disgusting regardless of who it is has died.

Seem to have upset a few people by pointing out that social media is a pain in the arse on the day a famous musician you didn't much care for dies. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be disrespectful but it is a modern phenomena that people seem to think an artist passing is your excuse to explain to everyone what he meant to you. I really didn't like his music at all - and that's not being a smart arse that's me having an opinion. I don't mean to impede on anyone's grief. Cancer is a dreadful way to go and I've lost several people close to me that way, so I mourn him as a person who died from cancer, but I couldn't stand his music. That's all

Will leave this thread alone now (which is what I should have done in the first place!)

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

It is a modern phenomena that people seem to think an artist passing is your excuse to explain to everyone what he meant to you.

Seems to me that now is exactly the right time for people to be remembering what his music meant to them.....

Love his music, hate his music, his impact on the musical landscape across the globe, and his legacy are undeniable. Music has lost one of its greatest contributors, and for many, a great inspiration.

Been dreading this day but knew it would come sooner rather than later. The wife and I have been huge fans for ever and to be honest both feel like a piece of us has gone forever. Loved the man, loved his music, loved the mystique and how he's one step ahead of everyone. Today very sombre and it feels somewhat surrel.

Best gig for us was 2003 at NEC. Absolute legend. Greatest album imho is Heathen. Greatest song is Bewley Brothers. RIP fella.

45 minutes ago, Daveo said:

In almost 7 years now running this forum this is without doubt the worst things on this forum. People that feel the need to be disrespectful towards someone that has died.

that is just forums though, I'm guilty of wumming to gain a reaction, very immature I know and its not made maliciously or with bad intent, forums bring the **** out of me for sure.

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

I agree with you in the most part, but if you dislike someone intensely as I did Thatcher ,who hurt and ruined the lives of thousands of people, then IMHO she deserves no respect dead or alive.

3 hours ago, mozza said:

Why a shame ? have you heard it ? is it poor ? 

i've just ordered it ..

Listened to it on Spotify on Friday. It may be to some peoples taste and will obviously sell well now. I thought it was just about the poorest thing I've heard from him. Such a great and individual artist though.

Archived