RIP David Bowie

admira

11 minutes ago, mozza said:

Can you just give this a listen , it's less than 5 minutes long , see if it alters your opinion of

him , even if it's negative , i'd like to hear your thoughts ..

@MuespachRam , @Mostyn6 , @StivePesley and @ladyram

Cheers ..

thanks for that, i listened to it, really did nothing for me at all, liked the chorus but it just goes on and on and on...sorry..i did try but it didnt grab me at all.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

thanks for that, i listened to it, really did nothing for me at all, liked the chorus but it just goes on and on and on...sorry..i did try but it didnt grab me at all.

Fair enough , maybe not the best introduction to him , but he certainly pushed the boundaries , 

and could never be compared to anyone , he was a one off , bit like Kate Bush is (do you like her ?) ..

9 hours ago, mozza said:

Can you just give this a listen , it's less than 5 minutes long , see if it alters your opinion of

him , even if it's negative , i'd like to hear your thoughts ..

@MuespachRam , @Mostyn6 , @StivePesley and @ladyram

Cheers ..

Sorry Mozza, no. 

I never got the guy, or his constant need for reinventions - but that said, it obviously worked for him and his fans.

I tried to understand him, but his lyrics at times were bizarre, and he made some bloody wierd videos. I think Let's Dance was his most successful single because it was the nearest thing to 'normal' he ever did.

But that's just my opinion and I won't contradict his fans who think differently. Anybody can see his own unique genius, what made him Bowie, suppose it's just a question of if you like it or not. 

14 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I am telling you that yes. 

Thanks for the compliment on my impeccable music tastes... By the way, The small faces, I couldn't name you 1 of their songs..

Not a great fan of the early Small Faces stuff like "Sha la la la Lee" but I respected their innovations like bringing out a LP with a round sleeve, calling it "Ogden's nut gone flake" after a tin of tobacco, and incorporating the nonsense language of Professor Stanley Unwin seems like high art to me á la Sergeant Pepper. Itchycoo Park is a psychedelic anthem and I defy anyone to listen to 'Lazy Sunday Afternoon' without feeling happier. I can also name Stevie Marriott and Ronnie Lane, AKA Plonk as founder members.

Some of it is a generational thing possibly. Being born in 1950 means that as a baby boomer I grew up with 60s music, had a dad who loved Jazz in its best forms (Ellington, Goodman, Glenn Miller, etc and singers like Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald) access to Radios Luxembourg and Caroline and a wide wider widest range of musical genres. My brother has similar tastes but his favourite was Bowie whom I also admire and respect.

Anyone born 10 years after me had to endure what was to my mind a paucity of true musical talent (Dire Straits excepted of course) but we can all now access everything on YouTube and enjoy whatever it is we enjoy and exercise freedom of choice without having to shell out a good percentage of our hard earned cash for the privilege.

I was recently speaking to lads from a modern day rock group (Goodnight Lenin). One of them looked and dressed like a 1969 John Lennon. They admitted to recently delving into Beatle music and being amazed at its diversity.

Long live music. It is timeless and continually evolving.

17 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

And I don't know any of One Direction (sorry to the Derby supporting momber I am sure you read this!), none of Westlife, Boyzown etc and I am pretty sure they have had a few top 10 singles..? (Although I did always like Take That)

as I said in another post, how many wedding present songs do you know..? They had 12 top 30 singles in a year, second only to Elvis Presley (who I also don't get by the way) @Inverurie Ram can tell you about Mr Gedge..

Quite a few as i saw the Wedding Present in October!

Sad news, and it's a shame how much music has moved on these days.

I wonder if David Bowie would have the same success if he was from this generation. I mean, if somebody with exaclty the same voice went on Britain's Got Talent, they'd get buzzed out within seconds.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wonder if David Bowie would have the same success if he was from this generation. I mean, if somebody with exaclty the same voice went on Britain's Got Talent, they'd get buzzed out within seconds.

Oh don't start with the " talent shows" Bris.. It breaks my heart mate... 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If only this generation had someone like Bowie. It's difficult seeing who, of the current crop, will be around still in 20/30 years' time.

34 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

If only this generation had someone like Bowie. It's difficult seeing who, of the current crop, will be around still in 20/30 years' time.

There are some decent bands and artists around Staffs. Not saying they are Bowieesque .. He was truly a one off... But sadly for anyone with the passion, guts and talent for the music industry " long game" there just isn't the infrastructure, thought, finance or genius of a Berry Gordy or Geoff Travis running the industry these days. It's all about digital now and even those of us working in the industry have no clue how that will all end up once the dust settles. 

Archived