RIP David Bowie

admira

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the generation who are now in their teens or twenties, or even thirties. Is there someone, anyone, who one day in the future, maybe in 30 or 40 years time, will pass away, and be so missed by so many? Genuine question. It's difficult, or impossible, to explain what it was like in 1972! 

So I was trying to figure out who, that's around now, would fit into that category. Obviously, every artist or band has their diehard fans. But do any of them have the appeal and respect across a range of the population. 

26 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

For the generation who are now in their teens or twenties, or even thirties. Is there someone, anyone, who one day in the future, maybe in 30 or 40 years time, will pass away, and be so missed by so many? Genuine question. It's difficult, or impossible, to explain what it was like in 1972! 

So I was trying to figure out who, that's around now, would fit into that category. Obviously, every artist or band has their diehard fans. But do any of them have the appeal and respect across a range of the population. 

David Jason. Unless we're talking music only

Honestly............cant think of any even fit to lace his shiny platforms. There is no-one who has done so much, crossed so many boundaries and for such a period of time. 1967 to 2016 and still releasing greatness is above and beyond anything that has gone or will come again. Once in a lifetime legend. Huge sadness in the household. Feel for those surviving him mainly his young daughter.

It's been a truly sad, dark and overshadowed day. This man was a fantastic genius and I can only speak for myself but this is probably the darkest day for English culture and our worldwide creative presence. 

I was late to join the Bowie bandwagon but for the last 4-5 years he has grown on me to a level that no other musician has. 

Genius can be used all too easily these days but in this case it was absolutely earned and merited.

You will be sadly missed David RIP. 

I was late to the show also but picked up on him around 2000 so caught his new albums as well as 2 live gigs so really fortunate in that respect. Would recommend in no particular order as alternates to your mainstream:

Live and well.com - great live album.

Man who sold the world - timeless rock.

Heathen - beautifully thoughtful and retrospective.

Tin Machine - got absolutely slaughtered by critics as some of it was ***** but has some gems.

Blackstar - if for nothing else the covertrack is fantastic. Video on youtube is well worth seeing.

Enjoy

Got to say i am another one of the "I never got him at all" I always use he test could I name 5 songs by the artist...and I don't think I could name 2 by Mr Bowie. But obviously a lot of people did love him, the outpouring of emotion on the tv does seem slightly disproportionate to who it was, there didn't seem to be this much coverage when the queen Mother died.

awful for his family and friends, such a terrible way to go, to be told there is nothing they can do so go home and make yourself comfortable must be absolutely the worst thing ever to hear for anyone. 

I guess that more and more iconic rock stars are going to be slowly disappearing from the planet another sign of us all getting older. 

RIP Mr Bowie, say hi to Lemmy for us.

(and that is genuine by the way, Lemmy was a rock god!)

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Got to say i am another one of the "I never got him at all" I always use he test could I name 5 songs by the artist...and I don't think I could name 2 by Mr Bowie. But obviously a lot of people did love him, the outpouring of emotion on the tv does seem slightly disproportionate to who it was, there didn't seem to be this much coverage when the queen Mother died.

awful for his family and friends, such a terrible way to go, to be told there is nothing they can do so go home and make yourself comfortable must be absolutely the worst thing ever to hear for anyone. 

I guess that more and more iconic rock stars are going to be slowly disappearing from the planet another sign of us all getting older. 

If you can only name two Bowie songs then you are either so young as to be practically a foetus or have lived your life as if you were still in the womb. 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Whilst as I say I'm incredulous that anyone could name only 2 Bowie songs, I do agree that these rock legends will be pegging it as we get older. Was only saying on Friday ( Bowies birthday) that I didn't realise he was only 69 , which is quite young compared to the other rock legends like Dylan, the remaining Beatles and the Stones. 

I decided to play music through dinner last night in Bowie's honour (Ziggy Stardust if you must know) and my 5-year-old refused to eat until the music had finished and I refused to stop it until the very last note of Rock and Roll Suicide.

So she had her dinner cold and I promised not to do it again until Dylan dies.

Top parenting.

Archived