Derby and Burton - could there ever be a genuine rivalry?

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I usually say when Im told someone is a Forest fan "oh no, its not terminal is it?, are you getting the Chemotherapy you need for that?"

Funny that. My first reaction is "you ****" - it is a reaction that has caused me a problem or two in the past. Perhaps it's a medical condition - let's call it Treetard Tourette's.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Having been a school kid in Ashby on the North West Leics/ South Derbyshire border believe me the number of punch ups between Foxes and Rams kids which were pretty regular, (and still the same from what I can see), says they are very much rivals round here. Obviously it carries through into teens and older generations.

My local pubs have no Forest fans I know of. There are the usual glory team fans, a few Villa and Brum but overwhelmingly the banter is Derby and Leicester, which hasn't been great this side of the fence, for a few years.

Almost ashamedly I have to admit my youngest and a few of his Rams mates were mascots at the crisp factory as part of a local Cubs group. He even had a photo of him walking out holding Lloyd Dyers hand, the shame! To compensate though, the bonus was he got to shake all the Derby team as they went down the line which made his day even if the 4-1 defeat sat amongst the Leicester fans was torture!

I would guess more Derby fans live within Leicestershire than the other way around, Loughborough has a High concentration of rams fans.

Isn't this more about how tribalism has reduced/changed in football generally?

The Forest/Leeds 'rivalries' we have are steeped in history, not only on the pitch, and what happened with personnel and the media, but what happened on the terraces and in the pubs and streets before and after the game.

the worlds a different place now, so even if we had a few ding dongs with the Brewers on the pitch, it wouldn't manifest itself in the same way as it did in the 70's, 80's and 90's in the terraces.

its all much more child friendly, corporate and less booze fuelled.

I wish them well. They're doing great.

And as a man who seems principled, I hope it goes well for Nigel too.

Theres too many people who have supported both for too long to get flashed up about it.

so if we stay down and they come up, it'll be all very 'Corbyn' and friendly.

Either that or we firebomb the ******* to show 'em who's boss!

1 hour ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Isn't this more about how tribalism has reduced/changed in football generally?

The Forest/Leeds 'rivalries' we have are steeped in history, not only on the pitch, and what happened with personnel and the media, but what happened on the terraces and in the pubs and streets before and after the game.

the worlds a different place now, so even if we had a few ding dongs with the Brewers on the pitch, it wouldn't manifest itself in the same way as it did in the 70's, 80's and 90's in the terraces.

its all much more child friendly, corporate and less booze fuelled.

I wish them well. They're doing great.

And as a man who seems principled, I hope it goes well for Nigel too.

Theres too many people who have supported both for too long to get flashed up about it.

so if we stay down and they come up, it'll be all very 'Corbyn' and friendly.

Either that or we firebomb the ******* to show 'em who's boss!

The Leeds rivalry always makes me laugh....they do not give even a second thought to us...we aren't even on their top 10 of teams they would call "rivals". 

19 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The Leeds rivalry always makes me laugh....they do not give even a second thought to us...we aren't even on their top 10 of teams they would call "rivals". 

The rivalry comes from the period 1969-1976. It  coincided with Derby and Leeds best ever period and we pipped them to the title twice even though they cheated. The rivalry has long gone but any Rams fan from that era will always hate Leeds, their dirty cheating tactics, and cowardly corrupt manager, Don Revie.

The Dambusters song will always be one of my favourites.......:D

Burton Albion? I pity the fools! 

Play in dodgy yellow kits, managed by Negative Nigel and his merry men, half the fans are only there because Derby are not at home, the other half stink of Marmite.

Rivals? No, just fools that I pity

image.png

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I can think of no reason why anyone under the age of around 55 would see Leeds as a rival. 

13 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

It absolutely does. There are a fair few people who alternate home games between the two clubs, or in some cases they are Derby fans who for whatever reason can't/won't make the journey 10 miles down the road to Pride Park but can walk/catch a bus to the Pirelli.

cost? Dinner at home, tea at home, no need to buy food at the ground?

It will never be a serious rivalry as many have pointed out because Derby has a strong support base in Burton. I get to as many Burton games as I can including the last one against Blackpool and they are quite an impressive team. It is a brilliantly well run club. 

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It will never be a serious rivalry as many have pointed out because Derby has a strong support base in Burton. I get to as many Burton games as I can including the last one against Blackpool and they are quite an impressive team. It is a brilliantly well run club. 

is Nigel still negative? Commentary on football league tonight seems to point to them being attacking. Even against Blackpool when down to ten men they pushed for a winner.

Just now, davenportram said:

is Nigel still negative? Commentary on football league tonight seems to point to them being attacking. Even against Blackpool when down to ten men they pushed for a winner.

Doubt he's had chance to suck the spirit out of the team yet. 

4 hours ago, davenportram said:

Even with 10 men they pummelled Blackpool. Played some great high intensity football. Then again I never saw Nigel as negative as many on here made out. 

2 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Even with 10 men they pummelled Blackpool. Played some great high intensity football. Then again I never saw Nigel as negative as many on here made out. 

just wanted the opinion of someone who had actually watched Burton, rather than people pushing an old agenda.

4 hours ago, curtains said:

Don't think Burton fans like Derby much do they. 

Got news for you I don't like Burton .

I am sure they will be totally distressed by that announcement. 

Tell me, what don't you like about Burton Albion? What has happened that they have done to make you dislike them? No opinion on them I could understand. 

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

I am sure they will be totally distressed by that announcement. 

Tell me, what don't you like about Burton Albion? What has happened that they have done to make you dislike them? No opinion on them I could understand. 

Are you a Burton fan then. 

I just don't like Burton and have no affinity to a team in Staffordshire. 

When I go to Burton I support Derby not them and I couldn't care less how they do. 

Archived