Derby and Burton - could there ever be a genuine rivalry?

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Sticking on this subject, what about Derby & Leicester.

I don't consider them a real rival now, but let's suppose we go up this season and consolidate, and end up playing Leicester twice a season for 10 years without playing Forest once, would the rivalry with Leicester get a lot stronger purely for the sake of having a rival?

I'd say the rivalry in the 80's and 90's was pretty intense and we probably had as big a rivalry off the pitch with them as we did forest and some far nastier scraps with them.

That was more to do with the DLF and Baby squad than it was football and the rivalry died off along with football violence.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don't care about them. I'm sad to say that I don't even wish them well any more now Jimmy has moved on. I do think their chairman is a good example of how the job should be done but now Nige is back I'm even less interested. 

Strange point of view, why would you no longer wish them well simply due to a change in management?

I hope they get promoted, it would be amazing for the town of Burton, their Chairman, their fans and Nigel. Whats not to like about that?

As for being rivals, there would never be the hatred that surrounds the Forest game as others have said because of history, but if we were in the same division then the rivalry would be great and the two games would be huge for the area and definitely a little bit nasty.

8 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I work with a lot of their fans and maybe my view on it is more emotional than rational 

To be expected, Ewe :lol:

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Sticking on this subject, what about Derby & Leicester.

I don't consider them a real rival now, but let's suppose we go up this season and consolidate, and end up playing Leicester twice a season for 10 years without playing Forest once, would the rivalry with Leicester get a lot stronger purely for the sake of having a rival?

Having been a school kid in Ashby on the North West Leics/ South Derbyshire border believe me the number of punch ups between Foxes and Rams kids which were pretty regular, (and still the same from what I can see), says they are very much rivals round here. Obviously it carries through into teens and older generations.

My local pubs have no Forest fans I know of. There are the usual glory team fans, a few Villa and Brum but overwhelmingly the banter is Derby and Leicester, which hasn't been great this side of the fence, for a few years.

Almost ashamedly I have to admit my youngest and a few of his Rams mates were mascots at the crisp factory as part of a local Cubs group. He even had a photo of him walking out holding Lloyd Dyers hand, the shame! To compensate though, the bonus was he got to shake all the Derby team as they went down the line which made his day even if the 4-1 defeat sat amongst the Leicester fans was torture!

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Funny how a few miles can make a difference - you won't find many Leicester fans in Gresley, Woodville, Newhall etc...

Almost true there are a few that probably ventured East from such as Ashby. Did nark me when newsagent started selling the Leicester Mercury in Swad High St.

You'll find them in the likes of Ashby, Norrishill, Donisthorpe, Moira, Measham and Blackfordby where I grew up. Mostly Ashby school catchments. As I say the rivalry was great fun.

As for Burton, born there and my kids, why would you support them, small time club, few fans, I know a fair few that go to the games but half of those support other clubs and are occasional visitors like myself. Even my eldest says his mates from Burton have preference for Derby or others. A lot would need to change and they would probably need to have a spell of dominance to become appealing to the younger generation.

Dont see it happening myself, surrounded by too many bigger clubs with tradition, past glories and several generations of fans behind them. That's why they will never become true rivals for a long time I.m.o

Archived