Derby and Burton - could there ever be a genuine rivalry?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would take time. It'd be an interesting fixture but we'd have to play each other a lot more and have more big games. When you think of the history with Derby and Forest. Clough connection for starters, and the more recent history with Sav's scarf antics and Tyson's corner flag antics, then Tyson making the move across. And Billy Davies managing both sides and stirring up aggression.

Perhaps if we stayed down and Nige got them up, that'd be the start of something when they played us. Geography is only half of the rivalry, history's the other half.

3 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

If we fail to get promoted this season and Burton continue their incredible rise, we could be in the same division next season. Unthinkable even a couple of years ago, but could Burton ever become a Forest-style local rival bearing the town is even closer than Nottingham geographically??

A rivalry, yes. A forest type rivalry, no.

All football clubs are our rivals on a matchday, but it would take years and some nasty stuff to happen between the fans for it to develop into anything like the rivalry with the treetards and I just couldn't see that happening in this day and age.

Plus, the fanbase of Burton would need to grow. Rams fans and Brewers fans working together and taking part in office banter, as is the case with Derby and Forest. I don't know about you, but when I meet a Forest fan I have a little mini internal fistpump. You do that whole "Oooh! Forest fan eh?" with a small wry smile.

Because I know that in a weird way there's an implicit knowledge that we're going to give each other hell in good jest. Until you get that meeting a Burton fan, the rivalry would mean nothing.

4 minutes ago, Shang said:

I think there's quite a few people in Derby who support both teams. Would be interesting how that pans out. Could imagine some inter-family rivalries.

yeah we have inter family rivalry here in Leicester, sorry my mistake we have inter bred families here in Leicester, you ask my sister/mam :ph34r:

I have family in Burton, so go to the odd game and have been following their results in recent years.  I think a lot of Derby fans have a soft spot for Burton in a 'little brother' kind of way, as they have never been a threat/rival due to the huge disparities in history and club size.  I don't sense any hostility towards Derby from hardcore Burton fans either, probably for similar reasons.  

Would be a weird dynamic having them in the same division and I sense the mutual warmth could freeze over quite quickly, although I don't think there will ever be a Forest-style rivalry for the reasons others have mentioned.

31 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

If we fail to get promoted this season and Burton continue their incredible rise, we could be in the same division next season. Unthinkable even a couple of years ago, but could Burton ever become a Forest-style local rival bearing the town is even closer than Nottingham geographically??

No - they don't have enough fans to make a quorum, let alone support a forum!

Hope they get promoted though.

33 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No - they don't have enough fans to make a quorum, let alone support a forum!

Hope they get promoted though.

26 minutes ago, Shang said:

I think there's quite a few people in Derby who support both teams. Would be interesting how that pans out. Could imagine some inter-family rivalries.

Not so sure about that - think it's more a case of quite a few people in Burton who support both teams.

Sticking on this subject, what about Derby & Leicester.

I don't consider them a real rival now, but let's suppose we go up this season and consolidate, and end up playing Leicester twice a season for 10 years without playing Forest once, would the rivalry with Leicester get a lot stronger purely for the sake of having a rival?

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I don't consider them a real rival now, but let's suppose we go up this season and consolidate, and end up playing Leicester twice a season for 10 years without playing Forest once, would the rivalry with Leicester get a lot stronger purely for the sake of having a rival?

I'd imagine so, the rivalry with Leic got a little stronger when Forest found their level in League One, didn't it? Or am I completely remembering? Was a while ago now. 

I think if you're in the same division with any team that's reasonably close by, then some kind of rivalry will develop if both teams' fans perceive the situation that way.

Leicester often see us and Forest as rivals as they don't have their own historic rivalry to call upon, whereas us and Forest are more bothered about each other.  Then you have Stoke which is actually closer to Derby than Leicester, but I never sense either team is that bothered about the other.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

That would similar to most of the 90's-early 00's there is just that feeling of discontent of a rivalry, you dislike each other but at the end of the day it just isn't the red dogs.

Archived