Middlesbrough v Derby County

David

Understandably a lot of talk about Carson/Shackell/Thorne but another piece in the jigsaw for Saturday is how to have Ince playing more centrally for more of the time. Yet again, that's where he proved dangerous tonight against Leeds. I think:

Carson

Christie    Keogh    Shackell    Warnock

Thorne    Johnson

Hendrick    Ince    Butterfield

Martin

Bench: Grant Baird Pearce Shotton Bent Russell Weimann

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind Ince playing wide right if Christie provides the width, as Ince can then come inside anyway. We just need to work on it so that he comes inside at the appropriate times.

This is going to be a tough game. First goal will be crucial, because if they get it we may end up struggling to break them down like the numerous teams before us.

Scoring first will knock them out of the comfort zone somewhat. Similar to Hull I guess.

Not much point in referring to last year's match at the Riverside. In Carson, Warnock, Shackell, Johnson, Ince, Butterfield, Weimann and Thorne we have somewhat of a different team.

Not to mention Paul Clement too, who has already proven how he's a much better tactician than McClaren.

Boro will face a much different Derby, let's just hope we play as well as we can. 

On the basis that we are probably going to Boro trying to get a draw i reckon we should consider some out of the box thinking.....

Fact is Boro control their games in the most part via Clayton and Leadbitter....got to admit that imho they are probably the best midfield duo in the Champo......if u nullify them then Boro go nowhere. That being the case I would put Hendrick and Johnson on them man-to-man. Then get the two wide players (Ince and Russell) to come inside a bit.....with Thorne behind them we would still have enough in midfield to control the game.

Weird maybe, but.....

Are we a one man team now?

And it's Jason Shackell County by far the greatest team....

How did we fluke it to Wembley without Jason Shackell?

Disapointing if he doesn't play but we have cover, that's why football clubs have squads. 

5 hours ago, caymanram said:

On the basis that we are probably going to Boro trying to get a draw i reckon we should consider some out of the box thinking.....

Fact is Boro control their games in the most part via Clayton and Leadbitter....got to admit that imho they are probably the best midfield duo in the Champo......if u nullify them then Boro go nowhere. That being the case I would put Hendrick and Johnson on them man-to-man. Then get the two wide players (Ince and Russell) to come inside a bit.....with Thorne behind them we would still have enough in midfield to control the game.

Weird maybe, but.....

Not a bad idea. I would go for this

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock

Thorne Butterfield

Hendrick       Ince         Johnson

Martin

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Understandably a lot of talk about Carson/Shackell/Thorne but another piece in the jigsaw for Saturday is how to have Ince playing more centrally for more of the time. Yet again, that's where he proved dangerous tonight against Leeds. I think:

Carson

Christie    Keogh    Shackell    Warnock

Thorne    Johnson

Hendrick    Ince    Butterfield

Martin

Bench: Grant Baird Pearce Shotton Bent Russell Weimann

Thid but swap johnson and butterfield positions

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

If we had made the changes at half time and won the game we could have lost the Boro game and still have 50 points from 25 games. If Boro keep winning their games, then good luck to them. The Boro fan on here said that they had been perfecting their system for two years now. They are still ahead of us in their development. If they get Bamford again and I am sure that they will, we may struggle to catch them.

Might not be a bad thing if Bamford does go there. He may  help disrupt a very successful side, all of who's strikers (including those coming off the bench) are playing well and scoring goals and who will not be too pleased to be pushed down the pecking order despite them doing well and being in a near perfect position. Bamford has hardly played this season and , understandably, when he has he's looked very rusty.

9 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Best team vs the second best team. Boro will be champions this season in my opinion. Their performance against Brighton was as good as I've seen at this level.

Boro season ticket holder, well this is the biggest game in our recent league history, last season we really let ourselves down in this sort of fixture 1st v 2nd and I don't see this as anything but a real physical battle, the truth is the team's are to closely matched to call a winner and there most be every likelihood of a draw.

We  have had disappointment piled on disappointment for the last few years and I really believe that you have too, but both teams look much stronger this season so hopefully the premiership awaits.

I think more than any other team in the championship you know and feel the desperation of just falling short , so regardless of the result I really hope we both make the prem come the end of the season and with any luck brighton too, good luck guys.

9 minutes ago, fridge said:

Boro season ticket holder, well this is the biggest game in our recent league history, last season we really let ourselves down in this sort of fixture 1st v 2nd and I don't see this as anything but a real physical battle, the truth is the team's are to closely matched to call a winner and there most be every likelihood of a draw.

We  have had disappointment piled on disappointment for the last few years and I really believe that you have too, but both teams look much stronger this season so hopefully the premiership awaits.

I think more than any other team in the championship you know and feel the desperation of just falling short , so regardless of the result I really hope we both make the prem come the end of the season and with any luck brighton too, good luck guys.

Cool response, fridge. I could not agree with you more. A nice little fixed 0 - 0 would not go amiss. We will not attack you, if you do not attack us! You beat our rivals for us and we will beat them for you. I would take second spot now, but I sense that you are as good as you are going to get whereas we are still hoping to improve. You are the most accomplished team in the League but I do not know if you are enjoying the way that you play. You will have a good chance in the Prem but the Prem teams tend to score against even the best defences of promoted teams so shortage of goals and a Plan B may be your future problem. You will however have a lot of cash to spend on players when you get promoted.

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Cool response, fridge. I could not agree with you more. A nice little fixed 0 - 0 would not go amiss. We will not attack you, if you do not attack us! You beat our rivals for us and we will beat them for you. I would take second spot now, but I sense that you are as good as you are going to get whereas we are still hoping to improve. You are the most accomplished team in the League but I do not know if you are enjoying the way that you play. You will have a good chance in the Prem but the Prem teams tend to score against even the best defences of promoted teams so shortage of goals and a Plan B may be your future problem. You will however have a lot of cash to spend on players when you get promoted.

Yeah good shout, Ak runs the team like a regiment of soldiers it's took a while for it to work and doesn't always look prity but they all know their jobs and are happy with a goal lead without pushing for another, even if we got up and then relegated it would financially set the club up...yours too so lets just hope.

Afternoon lads, Boro fan here. Thought I would sign up to join in with the discussions. Some interesting points so far

Firstly I really hope we both get promoted, both losing play off finalists and both hard to take, yours because you were the best team on the day and us because we did the double over Norwich and yet we didn't turn up when it mattered. But that's done now and it's the now that matters, any one can tell that we are the best two teams in the league, I believe our only danger will be Hull, that said we have both played them at their place so home wins should put a nail in their coffin and see us safely up hopefully. 

As for the game itself, well I think we will cancel each other out, has 0-0 written all over it. For your Thorn we have Clayton, Ayala there is Shackell, Ince there is Downing and Martin there is Nugent. Evenly matched teams are the league pretty much backs that up. 

There will be pressure on the game, a win for us and with that game in hand could see us pull well clear. We shall see, would take a draw now to be honest 

Good luck for the rest of the season and as I said, I hope we both do it. Justice will prevail 

4 hours ago, Daveo said:

Are we a one man team now?

And it's Jason Shackell County by far the greatest team....

How did we fluke it to Wembley without Jason Shackell?

Disapointing if he doesn't play but we have cover, that's why football clubs have squads. 

No its just Jason shackell is an excellent cb.

It's also just the fact that shotton isnt anywhere close to top of the championship standard, i'd be significantly more confident with pearce(but who knows maybe, reading captain and now not even ahead of shotton?)

Archived