Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

On 09/09/2016 at 15:12, KBB said:

Just been to the doctors and been given new meds for anxiety and depression. He was concerned about the influence of work on my life.

That's clearly masking the problem you have mate, i really am feeling for you right now, try and get yourself another job and stop putting yourself in this situation.

I don't know what your financial situation is but my missus sent hundreds of applications for jobs but ex teachers are not exactly sought after within the workplace, hence why she went back to teaching.

hope you sort out your problems mate but please be careful taking medication for the long term, take care.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hazard a guess a lot of mental disorders are made worse by GP's. I've had anxiety, panic attacks (but never depression strangely) for about 5 years now and never taken a pill. If i'd listened to the doctors i'd have been on about 3 lots already and probably end up worse. I think a lot of the more minor (without wanting to trivialise) disorders such as anxiety and the like I strongly feel that by reading up about how it all works and how your ways of thinking have an impact on your condition then along with talking therapies it can make a huge difference without meds.

The other thing that bugs me about some medical professionals is that they don't tell you that you probably won't fully recover to the person you used to be which gives false hope. You can improve for sure and things get easier but I've yet to meet anyone whose anxiety symptoms have been completely cured so that it doesn't even register anymore.

On 24/09/2016 at 04:34, Broderick said:

Had a conversation once with someone who said all mental disorders are fake and we should remove all money invested in mental health in the u.s. and invest it in the economy. :blink: Sigh....

You hear it a lot, people who havent experienced it are often very narrow minded and think people suffering from depression etc just need to 'pull themselves together'.

The problem is that people expect people with an illness, whatever it might be, to be afflicted 24/7 but these things dont work like that, so they can sometimes see them and they seem fine and they just think they are putting it on.

Its not depression but it is sort of the same thing, I suffer from a rare blood cancer and one of the symptoms i and others with the same condition have is fatigue, you mention fatigue to people and they just think you are a bit tired and thats it, but proper chronic fatigue when it hits is wammo, you really cannot fo anything its like you have just run head first into a brick wall.

The problem is is that it comes and goes, if you get hit by an attack then you can be layed out for an hour, a day, a week, you can go weeks without it happening but some times you cant go a day without it.

I speak to some of my fellow sufferers and in fairness i dont currently have it as bad as some, but i am youngish and quite fit, but they suffer a lot, yet when they have tried to claim DLA or whatever it is they have been refused because at the time of the visit they were ok. But how on earth can you hold down a regular job when there is no pattern to how you are affected?

I do work and so far have managed to avoid problamatic situations but can only imagine people with depression/anxiety etc encounter similar challenges, are we supposed to pretend we are not well when we feel ok just so we arent judged when a full on attack does occur?

I have CFS so know what you mean Paul. I think partly it's psychosomatic for sure in the case of ME/CFS but it is a real medical issue that is unrecognised. If I do some exercise or gardening then the day after I can barely move. Most days I wake up in the morning having had plenty of sleep but tumble out of bed feeling like I've just run a marathon. My legs hurt all the time, my head is groggy, I get viruses and things at least every 3 months which in turn impacts on your health and state of mind as it would.

Some days you are pretty ok and others you can hardly function and it's also the unpredictability of this that means planning for things is an impossibility. I've been on holiday before and spent large parts laid up. I have to cancel things or rearrange last minute depends on how i'm feeling and work since it got bad the last 5 years working has been tough as I have to work from home because I was off ill frequently in other employment.

Going to football also is a long day. Some people can just rock out of bed, get ready and head off out on the train with mates for a few beers and a bite to eat then head off down the iPro and have a great day out. I have to push through severe fatigue, plan the day which in turn causes stress and anxiety which exhausts your adrenal system and makes you even more tired, then there is the drive to Derby and the hassle of finding somewhere to park, then the sheer number of people you face milling about at the ground which can send your senses a bit awry. To be honest the easiest part is just to be sat down in my seat and then I can relax a bit for 90 minutes.

The way we think about things, whether we worry or have anxiety about things gradually takes it's toll on your health and it's incredible just how the manner in which you react to set backs and situations over many years can have such a profound detrimental impact on your way of life.

I feel for Paul as I haven't got the medical issues that he has and mine probably pale into insignificance when compared but in terms of chronic fatigue and one day looking ok to people, I completely agree. It's a challenge every single day.

8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

What I did do is cut out gluten. It's made a decent bit of difference too. Gluten is whacked into nearly everything we eat and the overload must be incredible. Any slight sensitivity cannot be diagnosed by blood tests and things and can take it's toll on your bodily systems over time.

Yes gluten has messed up my body a bit... altho there was  a program recently on tv where they found no evidence of any effects on blood tests etc unless you have  a coleaic disease or something.    

43 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes gluten has messed up my body a bit... altho there was  a program recently on tv where they found no evidence of any effects on blood tests etc unless you have  a coleaic disease or something.    

I've had IBS for about 15 years. Cramps, pain and needing the bog all the time. Stopped gluten and pretty much gone within weeks (although it can months and months for gluten to eventually leave your system). I've had an immune response which has led to numerous previously unexplained skin rashes and the gradual diminishing of that permanent groggy / foggy feeling I get in my head.

Gluten is an indigestible foreign protein that we don't need. In many people the immune system doesn't recognise this protein and thinks it's an invader organism thus activates and immune response when it doesn't even need to. Thus all the inflammatory conditions and lethargy.

A biopsy of tissue is the best way of finding out for definite if you have sensitivity or coeliac. I recommend people try gluten free for a bit and see how they get on. It's really not that difficult once you get into the habit. If you eat generally fresh stuff then no real problem. If you live on lots of packaged stuff then it can also be done but the GF alternatives will cost you an arm and a leg.

The only other issue is eating out where it can be like a military exercise trying to find somewhere that caters for GF although in recent years there are many more places doing this.

The only trouble with trying gluten free and then feeling better is that if you then go to the doctor and ask to be tested, they'll tell you to go back on gluten for 4 weeks prior to testing.

The test is not great either, many people come back as negative and further down the line get diagnosed positive.

Cutting back or cutting back is better for you anyway, but I do miss the savoury items ?

I have tried different diets and all sorts since my diagnosis. The only two things I would say hand on heart will benefit you more than anything are, drink plenty of water, tap is fine, like 3 litres a day, and excercise regularly.

I've recently been diagnosed with having Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of autism, I am still coming to terms with accepting this and found it even more difficult to cope with the diagnosis given that the clinical psychologist who diagnosed me said there is basically no cure as such and that it was just about managing the condition. He gave me a list of contact groups whom became apparent that they were all geared around autism in children not for a middle aged adult like myself and then referred me back to my GP whose knowledge of the subject was cursory. 

I asked to be referred to a CBT whom discharged me after a few sessions as she said there was nothing she could help me with, it seems that there are no contact or help groups for adults with autism I have a moderate condition on the autism spectrum which means I can function at a level on a day to day basis unlike some sufferers but still has a huge impact on my existence for example avoiding human contact, having little or no appetite to do anything, like depression which I have also suffered from, it can be very debilitating.

17 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I've recently been diagnosed with having Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of autism, I am still coming to terms with accepting this and found it even more difficult to cope with the diagnosis given that the clinical psychologist who diagnosed me said there is basically no cure as such and that it was just about managing the condition. He gave me a list of contact groups whom became apparent that they were all geared around autism in children not for a middle aged adult like myself and then referred me back to my GP whose knowledge of the subject was cursory. 

I asked to be referred to a CBT whom discharged me after a few sessions as she said there was nothing she could help me with, it seems that there are no contact or help groups for adults with autism I have a moderate condition on the autism spectrum which means I can function at a level on a day to day basis unlike some sufferers but still has a huge impact on my existence for example avoiding human contact, having little or no appetite to do anything, like depression which I have also suffered from, it can be very debilitating.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but fully understand how hard it is when you have something rare. My condition which is a blood cancer is rare, there are plenty of support groups for more common cancers but only one in the UK for my particular condition. I am lucky as its in Nottingham so I have been able to attend them regular.

9 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Personally think that's just wrong. Mrs KR has changed massively for the better since she's gone GF. 

On the rare occasion something slips through the net, she really notices it! 

18 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Exactly my position Inglorious. I am high functioning and diagnosed recently although I've managed to live a reasonably 'normal' life up to now having a partner and kid who aren't on the spectrum. I find I have a tendency to think that whatever I think or say then i'm right and everyone else is wrong but i'm learning to accept that others have other opinions that are equally as valid. I also have a strong desire to see people who commit the most innocuous of 'crimes' such as parking in a disabled bay when they aren't disabled told about it and punished. It's just something that drives me. If it's wrong then it's wrong and often with the unfathomable behaviour of many other people, day to day life is tricky as i'm always getting annoyed at people who don't do the right thing and I've been in scuffles and arguments about this with strangers many times.

At times you do feel like you don't belong on earth and you are a complete different species and something that makes perfect sense to you doesn't seem so clear cut to others not on the spectrum and it is frustrating. I don't avoid human contact but I do prefer either people who pretty much think and act like me or people who basically just don't annoy me. I'm pretty judgemental which means I haven't really made as many close friends as I could have over my 20 years of working. If someone is into enough stuff that I find trivial then I cannot get past pleasantries. It's tough but learning all the time.

Chin up mate. Just gotta keep plodding along with it, managing and trying to push yourself as much as you can.

30 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Being really nosey now, but can I ask how the diagnosis came about? Sounds uncannily like me! 

7 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Being really nosey now, but can I ask how the diagnosis came about? Sounds uncannily like me! 

I thought that something had been wrong for a long time but I guess just accepted things to be just the way they were, I got to a certain age and wanted at least some understanding and undertook a lot of internet researching and recognised that the majority of my symptoms were associated with Aspergers, had to fight tooth and nail.to get a referreral to a psychologist from my GP which is where we are now what we're your circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Exactly my position Inglorious. I am high functioning and diagnosed recently although I've managed to live a reasonably 'normal' life up to now having a partner and kid who aren't on the spectrum. I find I have a tendency to think that whatever I think or say then i'm right and everyone else is wrong but i'm learning to accept that others have other opinions that are equally as valid. I also have a strong desire to see people who commit the most innocuous of 'crimes' such as parking in a disabled bay when they aren't disabled told about it and punished. It's just something that drives me. If it's wrong then it's wrong and often with the unfathomable behaviour of many other people, day to day life is tricky as i'm always getting annoyed at people who don't do the right thing and I've been in scuffles and arguments about this with strangers many times.

At times you do feel like you don't belong on earth and you are a complete different species and something that makes perfect sense to you doesn't seem so clear cut to others not on the spectrum and it is frustrating. I don't avoid human contact but I do prefer either people who pretty much think and act like me or people who basically just don't annoy me. I'm pretty judgemental which means I haven't really made as many close friends as I could have over my 20 years of working. If someone is into enough stuff that I find trivial then I cannot get past pleasantries. It's tough but learning all the time.

Chin up mate. Just gotta keep plodding along with it, managing and trying to push yourself as much as you can.

Thanks for your thoughts, at least now I have some understanding I can maybe find a little closure. I have a lot of your similar traits I find it difficult to maintain social or trivial chit chat and have just lost many friends or contacts through my life just down to lack of motivation or effort on my part. Thanks again for your wishes.

56 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I thought that something had been wrong for a long time but I guess just accepted things to be just the way they were, I got to a certain age and wanted at least some understanding and undertook a lot of internet researching and recognised that the majority of my symptoms were associated with Aspergers, had to fight tooth and nail.to get a referreral to a psychologist from my GP which is where we are now what we're your circumstances.

I'll PM you, sometime in the next few days! Bed time, for 4AM start. 

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:
4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

II asked to be referred to a CBT whom discharged me after a few sessions as she said there was nothing she could help me with, it seems that there are no contact or help groups for adults with autism I have a moderate condition on the autism spectrum which means I can function at a level on a day to day basis unlike some sufferers but still has a huge impact on my existence for example avoiding human contact, having little or no appetite to do anything, like depression which I have also suffered from, it can be very debilitating.

I can sympathise with your condition as I have experience with this diagnosis. If you need help or someone to talk too also drop me a PM. We and I can help you.  Unfortunately I can't help with the current results ?