Christmas - The Things I Love

ramsbottom

Feigning surprise when opening presents....

Thanks, Becca, for the case of Belgian beer. Thanks, James, for the case of Belgian beer. Thanks, Memsahib, for the...... SOCKS?!!??!!!. Oh, and the Belgian beer.

Laughing like a drain when opening the Stella Artois from my brother in law, the git.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

even as a 20 year old loving on my own  

How depressing :( - are you going to switch hands half way through the day? 

23 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Getting the Christmas Radio and TV Times used to mean the start of Christmas to me as a kid....but delivering them used to mean the start of a hernia...!

As a youngster the best thing about Christmas was getting cards with kisses wrote in them from girls at school...and then getting to claim them..!

Spoiler alert......for anyone under the age of 16 (to be safe) please stop reading now......

the best Christmas I ever had was the year that Mum and Dad decided to tell me that Santa wasn't real because they were scared I would spoil it for my little sister (who was 2 years younger than me and we had already had the conversation that neither of us believed in Santa anymore but didn't want to spoil it for mum and dad) so they bribed me with the offer of a Raleigh Super Burner, a bean bag AND Galaxy Invader handheld electronic game.....so I kept my mouth shut.... even at such a young age I was playing the parents like a cheap fiddle.... ha ha... thanks Mum....thanks Dad....one day I will tell them this story.... maybe.

Well thanks a lot Muespach, that's ruined the whole thing for me. I thought he was real

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

watching the kids opening presents even though it is sooooooo bloody early (5.00am last year)

I'm looking forward to that bit. My little one is nearly 3, so is only just starting to understand about Santa & Christmas but next year she'll probably be on springs for the whole of December like I used to be.

She's sending her dummy to Santa this weekend - because "he needs it for the baby reindeer, while the adult reindeer are away pulling Santa's sleigh". We think we've woven this wonderful storyline but we've kept asking her if she wants to go and meet Santa in one of the grottos and she very quickly says no. I'm not sure if its because she just sees him as the nasty dummy thief and we've scarred her for life.

My wife has bought her a reindeer soft toy, which is going to be given to her with a thank you letter from Santa (written by a work colleague of mine). Hopefully this will soften the blow. The things we do........!

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm looking forward to that bit. My little one is nearly 3, so is only just starting to understand about Santa & Christmas but next year she'll probably be on springs for the whole of December like I used to be.

She's sending her dummy to Santa this weekend - because "he needs it for the baby reindeer, while the adult reindeer are away pulling Santa's sleigh". We think we've woven this wonderful storyline but we've kept asking her if she wants to go and meet Santa in one of the grottos and she very quickly says no. I'm not sure if its because she just sees him as the nasty dummy thief and we've scarred her for life.

My wife has bought her a reindeer soft toy, which is going to be given to her with a thank you letter from Santa (written by a work colleague of mine). Hopefully this will soften the blow. The things we do........!

it doesn't last long mate, my youngest has just turned 7 and the belief in Santa has all but diminished, its not "cool" to believe in Santa now apparently, hope you have a cracking Christmas with your little girl, fantastic age for presents and take plenty of photos of her opening them to cherish.

12 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:
  • Giving gifts
  • Volunteering at local soup kitchens to give those in need a Christmas dinner
  • Clothing Drives
  • Running Toy Drives for underprivileged children in the area
  • Spending time with family
  • Good food and beer
  • Etc.

how does that work then AmericanRam,  do you take it to a place for underprivileged children?

6 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

how does that work then AmericanRam,  do you take it to a place for underprivileged children?

I set up bins at several places where I live(i.e. Grocery stores, the library where I work, etc) for people to donate toys for those children who otherwise would probably not get anything for Christmas. Usually on Christmas Eve, I then along with some assistants, take these toys to family shelters,orphanages, and other similar places. Same with the clothes. I do this every Christmas and quite enjoy it seeing these underprivileged children get something for Christmas and the thanks and sometimes tears I get from the parents of these children makes it all the worthwhile.

There's lots of things I love now, more than when I was younger. I think the best bit is seeing the looks on the kids' faces when they open their presents. Plus last month we became Grandparents so I have a new grandson to spoil a lil bit.

For me that's tough to beat.

On 09/12/2015 at 15:17, LesterRam said:

it doesn't last long mate, my youngest has just turned 7 and the belief in Santa has all but diminished, its not "cool" to believe in Santa now apparently, hope you have a cracking Christmas with your little girl, fantastic age for presents and take plenty of photos of her opening them to cherish.

A young couple near where I lived were a bit 'new age' and didn't believe in deceit. They told their young child this character was actually FARMER Christmas, which is why he wore black wellies. Honest.

Talking of wellies, we used to put our lads presents in the living room for Christmas morning and I used to get a pair of wellies and sprinkle flour around them from the fireplace to the sofa and chairs where their presents were in steps so it looked liked snow had fell off Santa's wellies as he walked from the fireplace, they loved it. 

On 7 December 2015 at 19:34, Cisse said:

I love

Buying gifts

Giving gifts

Getting gifts

The Christmas food

Traditions

Killing people

Visiting the graves of my grand parents and other family

Christmas songs

Candles

Snow

Ftfy

Reading all these again and again, getting my very emotional about Christmas, being with family, seeing everyone happy, the music, the crappy TV, eating too much, drinking too much, eating too many chocolates that you don't ever by again all year...

this will be the first time I have been away from home for Christmas and I didnt think i would but i miss it so so much...

I hope you all have a wonderful time with your families and friends, have a Toffee Penny from the Quality Streets for me.

Archived