Jason Shackell

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if things continue as they are, come the end of the season it's gonna be a toss up between Carson & Shackell for the most influential signing.  At this point last season we had conceded 12 more goals than this.  That's down to better players in key positions.  He's a brilliant centre back at this level and a reliable one in the prem if/when we get there, past it my 'arris!!!

19 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Shackell's passing ranges from poor to mediocre but it doesn't really matter when Keogh can be the passer and that's as negative as this post is going to get - his defending is absolutely top notch. A good centre back is often one you don't notice and his positioning is his greatest asset by far. The number of shots he blocks is massive. Try and think of moments when Shackell has been exposed or had to do last ditch tackles. Xabi Alonso said in an interview that the best defenders don't need to tackle and Shackell embodies that.

The unsung hero of our side this season and an absolute rock. I'm glad the stats show his value even if the naked eye doesn't. Was an outstanding defender last season so him being the best in the league should surprise no-one.

I'd love to know how many shots he's blocked this season and if there is a player in the country with more. Does anyone have a chart showing clearances, blocks, tackles etc?

All he needs to do is either pass the ball to thorne or keogh or if in doubt safety. Great signing not only for his play but the confidence restored in keogh. To think some of us wanted keogh gone!!!

22 minutes ago, harryram said:

All he needs to do is either pass the ball to thorne or keogh or if in doubt safety. Great signing not only for his play but the confidence restored in keogh. To think some of us wanted keogh gone!!!

Guilty as charged.  Thanks god I'm not the manager :lol:

Just goes to show how a player can improve once you've asked them to stop doing a couple of things.   Shackell goes unnoticed a lot of the time because he's doing the stuff you don't pay attention to like the talking, encouraging & organising.  Even at Sunday league level, a player like that makes a big difference...

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Guilty as charged.  Thanks god I'm not the manager :lol:

Just goes to show how a player can improve once you've asked them to stop doing a couple of things.   Shackell goes unnoticed a lot of the time because he's doing the stuff you don't pay attention to like the talking, encouraging & organising.  Even at Sunday league level, a player like that makes a big difference...

Not saying this to be antagonistic but its not really Keogh who has massively improved its the quality of his defensive partner that has allowed him to play his "A" game. Some fans were guilty of not understanding what was happening and making wrong assumptions about Richard. As you say good job you are not the manager :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not saying this to be antagonistic but its not really Keogh who has massively improved its the quality of his defensive partner that has allowed him to play his "A" game. Some fans were guilty of not understanding what was happening and making wrong assumptions about Richard. As you say good job you are not the manager :thumbsup:

Indeed, almost all of Keogh's mistakes were made when attempting to recover a terrible situation following other's mistakes (which includes THAT mistake). The back 4 makes hardly any mistakes overall now = Keogh doesn't have to panic. 

I'm pleased to say that Shackell has shown me up as being a complete numpty. I didn't think we needed another centre back, but he's been fantastic. He should be banned from attempting passes over five yards in length though.

Shackell has kept a very low profile and simply stops the ball going in the net. Getting better, the more he plays with Keogh. I watched bits of the Hull game again and it is obvious why teams are struggling to score against us. The defensive shape is better by miles than it was last year. When did we last get caught on the break and let a goal in, Florist apart? Basically we are more disciplined and work much harder to stop goals going in. We are always likely to score a goal in any game so a clean sheet is a massive bonus.We appear to have cured 'letting the first goal in' and this gives us the chance to go on a long run. Both Wednesday and Brighton are capable of scoring against us so we may need two goals to beat each of them. COYR

On 1 December 2015 at 16:03:48, Penelope Pendrex said:

Shackell's passing ranges from poor to mediocre but it doesn't really matter when Keogh can be the passer and that's as negative as this post is going to get - his defending is absolutely top notch. A good centre back is often one you don't notice and his positioning is his greatest asset by far. The number of shots he blocks is massive. Try and think of moments when Shackell has been exposed or had to do last ditch tackles. Xabi Alonso said in an interview that the best defenders don't need to tackle and Shackell embodies that.

The unsung hero of our side this season and an absolute rock. I'm glad the stats show his value even if the naked eye doesn't. Was an outstanding defender last season so him being the best in the league should surprise no-one.

I'd love to know how many shots he's blocked this season and if there is a player in the country with more. Does anyone have a chart showing clearances, blocks, tackles etc?

Sorry don't know how to just quote the first couple of lines but....

keogh is the worst 'kicker' of a football that has ever played the game!!!

he gets all weird and low when he side foots it.

i think they make a great pair and I like keogh... But good passer he is not!

11 minutes ago, Matt Carbon said:

Sorry don't know how to just quote the first couple of lines but....

keogh is the worst 'kicker' of a football that has ever played the game!!!

he gets all weird and low when he side foots it.

i think they make a great pair and I like keogh... But good passer he is not!

He's a very accurate passer with an exceptional success rate - it just doesn't look 'pretty' enough for you.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Shackell has kept a very low profile and simply stops the ball going in the net. Getting better, the more he plays with Keogh. I watched bits of the Hull game again and it is obvious why teams are struggling to score against us. The defensive shape is better by miles than it was last year. When did we last get caught on the break and let a goal in, Florist apart? Basically we are more disciplined and work much harder to stop goals going in. We are always likely to score a goal in any game so a clean sheet is a massive bonus.We appear to have cured 'letting the first goal in' and this gives us the chance to go on a long run. Both Wednesday and Brighton are capable of scoring against us so we may need two goals to beat each of them. COYR

We may have "got caught on the break", but there were more than enough bodies back and goalside of both shots to reasonably not class it as such. Not one of the defenders was running back when either shot was hit. They were all facing the opposition goal so I wouldn't even class that goal as hit on the break.

Archived