Jason Shackell

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Matt Carbon said:

Sorry don't know how to just quote the first couple of lines but....

keogh is the worst 'kicker' of a football that has ever played the game!!!

he gets all weird and low when he side foots it.

i think they make a great pair and I like keogh... But good passer he is not!

I would have to disagree with you on this one, he is a very accurate passer and some of his cross field balls, admittedly not all (he is a championship player), at times can be sublime. One that sticks in my mind is against wolves away last season, he must of pinged it 60 yards right to forsyths boot. I don't think the way he looks when he kicks it affects how good he is at passing. I like his hipster kicking style. 

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

We may have "got caught on the break", but there were more than enough bodies back and goalside of both shots to reasonably not class it as such. Not one of the defenders was running back when either shot was hit. They were all facing the opposition goal so I wouldn't even class that goal as hit on the break.

This is the main reason that it is very hard to score against us. Noticed in the Hull game that we often had nine men back against only five attackers because they knew that we could move out of defence very quickly and do them damage. It is going to be increasingly difficult to stop our three midfielders taking pot shots from 25 yards.To mark them all means using up at least two men. Both Thorne and Butterfield can hit powerful volleys when the ball runs to them. Weimann is keen to get the rebounds is is happy to hit the ball very hard, first time. The quality of the passing is improving all the time. If we have 66% possession, this means that the opposition only have the ball for 30 minutes in the match and if we keep our shape that reduces them to typically shooting from distance with our defenders getting good opportunities to block the shots. if we have the ball, they have not got it. 

3 hours ago, Matt Carbon said:

His technique is odd, granted, but his pass success rate is exceptional, his range is brilliant (not quite Bucko's standard mind), he's capable of zipping it forward to Martin and has a multiple occasions slotted a teammate in behind with a through-ball. 

He looks like a donkey on the ball, but looks in this case of deceiving.

The average per game is that we allow 13 shots against, which is halfway in the division (ranked 13th). However, only 25.21% of those shots is on target, which is the best in the division. The median is over 32%.

Of the shots against us that are on target, only 18.64% result in goals, a figure second only to Middlesbrough's 16.9% (the median is 29%).

It's clear that although we allow a reasonable number of shots, our opponents are forced to be inaccurate (either under pressure or from distance) and we do an exceptional job of either blocking or saving what's on target.

I do think Shackell is responsible for a lot of this (and has blocked more shots than any other player in the division), but also now that Keogh has such an accomplished partner he is able to better show his true worth. Let's not forget that Keogh was voted into the Championship Team of the Season by his fellow professionals last year, so the comments about him being poor are laughable. Carson is also been a tremendous boost to the defence. I presume the way we're coached defensively has also helped, and the final piece in the jigsaw is of course have George Thorne patrolling in front of the centre halves.

In case anyone's interested we take 2 more shots a game than our opponents (5th best), 31.85% of those shots are on target (12th best) and of the shots on target, 30.23% result in goals (10th best). All of which suggests that at this stage of the season, we're a lot stronger defensively than in attack.

9 hours ago, Matt Carbon said:

I have to disagree with you here. You can blame him doing easy man-marking mistakes with his ball watching habit, but with the ball his is among the best there is.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I have to disagree with you here. You can blame him doing easy man-marking mistakes with his ball watching habit, but with the ball his is among the best there is.

I agree, he pings at least one great ball over to the left wing a game lol 

It's weird what some people see, he has flaws people can focus on, why crticise him for something he does well lol

13 hours ago, Matt Carbon said:

I will raise you this guy

Conor_2896301.jpg?20140722153922

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The average per game is that we allow 13 shots against, which is halfway in the division (ranked 13th). However, only 25.21% of those shots is on target, which is the best in the division. The median is over 32%.

Of the shots against us that are on target, only 18.64% result in goals, a figure second only to Middlesbrough's 16.9% (the median is 29%).

It's clear that although we allow a reasonable number of shots, our opponents are forced to be inaccurate (either under pressure or from distance) and we do an exceptional job of either blocking or saving what's on target.

I do think Shackell is responsible for a lot of this (and has blocked more shots than any other player in the division), but also now that Keogh has such an accomplished partner he is able to better show his true worth. Let's not forget that Keogh was voted into the Championship Team of the Season by his fellow professionals last year, so the comments about him being poor are laughable. Carson is also been a tremendous boost to the defence. I presume the way we're coached defensively has also helped, and the final piece in the jigsaw is of course have George Thorne patrolling in front of the centre halves.

In case anyone's interested we take 2 more shots a game than our opponents (5th best), 31.85% of those shots are on target (12th best) and of the shots on target, 30.23% result in goals (10th best). All of which suggests that at this stage of the season, we're a lot stronger defensively than in attack.

Top, class post Carl Sagan. We get a lot more men behind the ball now. The more bodies that we have back, the easier it is to block shots, but Shackell seems to know were players are going to shoot.

Archived