Luke Thomas

Cam the Ram

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-turn-bid-Derby-County-16-year-old/story-28240984-detail/story.html

Cheltenham Town have turned down a £30,000 bid from Championship club Derby County for 16-year-old Luke Thomas.

Robins chairman Paul Baker confirmed the Rams had made an approach and said it did not match the Vanarama National League club's valuation of the winger, who has been attracting the interest of a host of Premier League and Championship clubs this season.

"There has been a bid, but at this stage we have turned it down because it does meet our valuation of the player," Baker said.

Forest of Dean based Thomas has been with Cheltenham since Under-nines level and has scored 17 goals for Jamie Victory's Under-18s side.

He has already been invited to train with Premier League Southampton, but Robins boss Gary Johnson said he would rather keep him in the senior squad, with whom he has been working all season.

Thomas has been on the bench four times for Cheltenham's first team this season. He spent time on trial with Benfica in the summer after impressing the Portuguese giants on a pre-season tour to Lisbon with the Robins' academy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting. Will probably give them an improved offer at some point I imagine. Be good to sign some promising English talent to the academy, as much as I like the fact we're finding youth talent out elsewhere in Europe.

44 minutes ago, philmycock said:

So we bid 2 weeks Bent wages and wonder why it's rejected! :blink:

So how much would you pay then, seeing as it's not your money? £50k? £100k? A million? And what about the other 50 promising kids Derby might be looking at? The same for them too?

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

So how much would you pay then, seeing as it's not your money? £50k? £100k? A million? And what about the other 50 promising kids Derby might be looking at? The same for them too?

If we're looking at him and think he's got potential, (otherwise why would we be interested?), then I think £30k is a paltry amount to offer.

Of course it's not my money, I'm not a multi-millionaire that's worth £480m that owns a football club.

What would be the going rate for one of OUR highly-rated youngsters? You'd be happy with Chelsea offering us £30k?

Or you just being argumentative for arguments sake? For a change.

At 16, he could develop into a star, but he could also disappear into mediocrity.

Take the England u17s from 2010, who won the tournament - remember Bruno Pilatos?

At 20, he was in non-league obscurity, yet at 17 was probably seen as having a bright future.

We're talking about a kid who has made 4 appearances as sub for a non-league side.  I'd suggest quite a few of our academy players of a similar age could be somewhere around that level.

If Cheltenham said that it did not meet their evaluation, then ask them how much it is, negotiate down as far as possible and then decide if he is worth it. Get his dad a free trip to the Academy and a slap up lunch then sign the player for the fee that suits us or let him go somewhere else and watch that space nervously. We are paying people to spot players, trust them and if they prove to be not much good then get better people.

random name of youngster gets thrown about. then a few premier league names get thrown abarrrrt just after. then everyone goes all champ manager like they have any earthly f'kin idea how much this particular race horse will cost. having not seen or heard of him ever before. i'm going  125k, and he's the next Malcolm Christie ITK 

Why would it be worthwhile for Cheltenham to take £30,000 for their best youth product? He may as well play for them, surely. Derby County Academy should aim to gain a reputation for paying fair compensation for young players, treating them extremely well and keeping excellent relationships with smaller clubs. That way, Clubs will have no problem sending them to us on trial because they feel that their players will then have an excellent future. Money is not everything. Soiuthampton keep attracting excellent young players. It is not a coincidence. Also we should offer these clubs some players for cheap loans.

Archived