Luke Thomas

Cam the Ram

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/2/2015, 4:15:47, SaintRam said:

That's very presumptuous of you and wide of the mark. 

First of all, my perception hasn't changed at all, I doubt Cam's has either, but how would you know that anyway.

Secondly what's changed in 5 years? "Money is ruining football"? "Prices for footballers are becoming extortionate"? No, not really. There are cases that could be said about (Sterling, for example) but it's not generally true about youth set-ups. So what has changed? Oh yes, Derby is now a club with a category one academy. 

Derby made the decision to seek Category One status, it is not simply granted, you have to work to meet the requirements. When you have a Category One academy you BUY youth players. This has been true for years and it is the main income of many non-league sides. 

Derby will have budgeted a "transfer fund" for the academy just as they do for the first team. Of course every youth signing is a gamble by nature, all you're buying is potential, nothing else. But if you don't buy potential, you don't get stars coming into your team. And paying all of the wages to maintain your Cat 1 status is wasted. Just rely on the crop that your scouts pick out from the local area and you get one every 3-10 years, which you'll achieve with any Cat academy anyway.

Pretty much agree with you SaintRam, but - Why do we need a Cat Academy? Worst idea since I was told that a cauliflower was a cabbage with a College Degree.A mouse with an M.Sc. or a pigeon with a Ph..D. Where will it all stop? I applied for a Course at the Open University, but on that day it was closed, just my luck.(smiley).

17 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Pretty much agree with you SaintRam, but - Why do we need a Cat Academy? Worst idea since I was told that a cauliflower was a cabbage with a College Degree.A mouse with an M.Sc. or a pigeon with a Ph..D. Where will it all stop? I applied for a Course at the Open University, but on that day it was closed, just my luck.(smiley).

Dear Santa,

The only Xmas wish I have this year is for Rampage to be reunited with his emoticons!

Thanks, Reveldevil.

53 minutes ago, Rampage said:

You are a caring person, reveldevil. You have more likes per post than likesareus.post.uk

Most of the likes are for his unfeasibly large testicles

1 minute ago, robglosta said:

Mon @CheltenhamRam, it's your time to shine... Any good?

I've been on their forum, they've rarely seen him play. As @Cam the Ram says, debut on Sat. Generally, on their forum, they want to keep him. If I asked I imagine the reason would be: "just cuz."

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

More chance of Fat Tony

Kinell @eddie, quoting a old post after a night out and 1 Kwak and 3 Corsondonk's on return is not good!

I think I was referring to the best player called Luke, or a derivative of, Luca Toni fits the bill as it's not shortened from Gianluca, no real idea if this makes sense or not?

6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Kinell @eddie, quoting a old post after a night out and 1 Kwak and 3 Corsondonk's on return is not good!

I think I was referring to the best player called Luke, or a derivative of, Luca Toni fits the bill as it's not shortened from Gianluca, no real idea if this makes sense or not?

Luke Atthat?

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Er no. It makes as much sense as tits on a bull

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant news. Linked with pretty much half the Prem and had a trial at Benfica during pre season so there's obviously something special about him. Hopefully he keeps working hard and in a few years he can make the step up to the first team like young William did.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Brilliant news. Linked with pretty much half the Prem and had a trial at Benfica during pre season so there's obviously something special about him. Hopefully he keeps working hard and in a few years he can make the step up to the first team like young William did.

Don't know much about him but as you say gets linked everywhere, had his trial at Benfica etc. Excellent goalscorer and a relatively inexpensive price tag. If you want to get the best young talent coming through, you have to gamble on the potential, hopefully he'll turn out fantastic! Liverpool did it with Ibe and Sterling, fingers crossed we can.

Archived