Luke Thomas

Cam the Ram

On 11/26/2015, 2:30:28, Dr. Gonzo said:

random name of youngster gets thrown about. then a few premier league names get thrown abarrrrt just after. then everyone goes all champ manager like they have any earthly f'kin idea how much this particular race horse will cost. having not seen or heard of him ever before. i'm going  125k, and he's the next Malcolm Christie ITK 

Top ITK knowledge.  If it all goes Pete Tong p'raps we could get a fee from the Co-op?  Virtual risk free innit :ph34r:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, you don't know at this stage what add-ons are being tabled. Cheltenham fans are turning their nose up at the number, but if he's a genuine talent then a decent  profit of next sale could bag them a small fortune (in relation to the size of the club).

On 25 November 2015, Rampage said:

Ridiculously low bid from the Rams if all other points are true. Get him quick and offer one of our younger players on loan.Why have a £10 million Academy and offer £30,000 for a starlet? Not exactly taking a great risk.

Would be with add-ons

11 minutes ago, Rampage said:

At which point do Clubs have to pay compensation when they sign young players from Academies?

I don't believe compensation is applicable when a transfer fee is involved. Compensation is necessary when a player under the age of 24 rejects a new contract with his current club in order to sign one with a new club. Or something like that. It's rather complicated.

You know it's funny. I just realised, he's never played for the Cheltenham first team, plays for a non-league youth team. Most of the fans saying "we shouldn't sell" probably haven't ever seen him kick a ball.

Just now, SaintRam said:

You know it's funny. I just realised, he's never played the Cheltenham first team, plays for a non-league youth team. Most of the fans saying "we shouldn't sell" probably haven't ever seen him kick a ball.

To be fair, I'd be the same if we had a 16 year old who was being scouted by the likes of Man United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. and whilst on a pre season tour had attracted the attention of Benfica

Lets hope we manage to beat them to him and in several years time it'll be us debating whether we should accept a £10 million + offer from 'the big boys' of Europe

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

To be fair, I'd be the same if we had a 16 year old who was being scouted by the likes of Man United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. and whilst on a pre season tour had attracted the attention of Benfica

Lets hope we manage to beat them to him and in several years time it'll be us debating whether we should accept a £10 million + offer from 'the big boys' of Europe

Pfft in a few years time he'll be our highest earner in a Derby team that IS one of the big boys. #NotAtAllDelusional

38 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I don't believe compensation is applicable when a transfer fee is involved. Compensation is necessary when a player under the age of 24 rejects a new contract with his current club in order to sign one with a new club. Or something like that. It's rather complicated.

Thanks SaintRam, so buying their best very young player for £30,000 with nothing else to pay is not a bad deal if that is true. I think that we should go and get him. Seems a bit odd that he or anyone at his age cannot do what he wants to do at 16. I suppose that Cheltenham have trained him for free for years. Seems fairer to me that such a young player should be able to go where he wants and an independent tribunal sort the fee out afterwards.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Thanks SaintRam, so buying their best very young player for £30,000 with nothing else to pay is not a bad deal if that is true. I think that we should go and get him. Seems a bit odd that he or anyone at his age cannot do what he wants to do at 16. I suppose that Cheltenham have trained him for free for years. Seems fairer to me that such a young player should be able to go where he wants and an independent tribunal sort the fee out afterwards.

Have to think about it for competitions sake. Means it's free for the rich to get richer and the poor will never get better on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

It changes from team to team, at larger clubs youth players have a lot of expenses covered, especially if their foreign. Which means their is usually a physical financial contract even for players of 16. But I imagine a club of Cheltenham's size a relationship with a youth player is similar to that of "intellectual property". He's potentially going to bring in a lot of money to them, so they need some form of paperwork to prevent others from just encouraging him to walk away, but there's no financial bond per se. 

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If a tribunal decided the price using established criteria and with add ons it would give the player more choice and nobody is getting a bad deal.

Presuming a tribunal can't set Sell on clauses etc though, so if they are really confident in him then it could be a lot better for them to accept a slightly lower figure up front with a good percentage of future sale.

Not sure, If I was Cheltenham, that I would be too impressed with receiving an offer three times as much as the previous one less than a week later - its like taking the Mick and treating them disrespectfully . I would play the bidding war game if I was them and keep holding out. If someone immediately triples their offer the first time you say no, who knows where you could get to.

From our point of view, £100,000 is a huge amount of money to pay for a 16 year old who has never played a game and who will not, even if all goes well,  approach anything like his peak for another 5-10 years minimum. Massive gamble. Sounds a bit like Varneyitis. 

Strange thing to do by DCFC in my book - perhaps shows we don't have too much faith in our own production line despite all the back-slapping in the last match day programme  ?

All the really good players, maybe bar a few are clearly outstanding at 16 in my opinion.Some fade away but they were extremely obvious prospects at 16. Southampton, if true offered £50,000 and they have a very good scouting system. The likes of Arsenal and Chelsea often buy very young players. How much would we have paid today for Will Hughes or Tom Huddleston if we had not known how they would turn out?

12 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Not sure, If I was Cheltenham, that I would be too impressed with receiving an offer three times as much as the previous one less than a week later - its like taking the Mick and treating them disrespectfully . I would play the bidding war game if I was them and keep holding out. If someone immediately triples their offer the first time you say no, who knows where you could get to.

From our point of view, £100,000 is a huge amount of money to pay for a 16 year old who has never played a game and who will not, even if all goes well,  approach anything like his peak for another 5-10 years minimum. Massive gamble. Sounds a bit like Varneyitis. 

Strange thing to do by DCFC in my book - perhaps shows we don't have too much faith in our own production line despite all the back-slapping in the last match day programme  ?

So we shouldn't persue players that may be better than our current players? 

Archived