Derby County v Cardiff City

Day

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8 November 2015 21:37:36, top 6 finish said:

Unbeleivable a bloke goes all those matches unbeaten and gets sacked.I hope you lot

never get to run a football team.1 loss! dear oh dear,that's harsh.

On 8 November 2015 21:43:57, Rampage said:

Bring back Chris, you know it makes sense.

56 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Come on Chrissy Millsy

Start some threads for Derby

We go wild, wild wild

Sorry lads, Newcastle forum made a better offer. 

7 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Sorry lads, Newcastle forum made a better offer. 

Hope you enjoy it, we won't miss you, you're just a flat track bully!

Anyone could have got wins against poor opposition like Rotherham, Huddersfield etc.

Let us down as soon as we faced a decent team, like Forest, or Reading, Wolves, QPR, or manager of the month award winners Brentford.

I won't miss you one little bit :(!

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Hope you enjoy it, we won't miss you, you're just a flat track bully!

Anyone could have got wins against poor opposition like Rotherham, Huddersfield etc.

Let us down as soon as we faced a decent team, like Forest, or Reading, Wolves, QPR, or manager of the month award winners Brentford.

I won't miss you one little bit :(!

Cheer up.

Can't see him starting too many threads for Newcastle... 

We learned a couple of things from the Forest game; Butterfield should be starting over Hendrick, still don't understand the reasoning for dropping him against Forest and the decision certainly backfired. We lacked one player taking the game by the scruff of the neck against Forest, someone that can create chances from very little, based on this I'd start Ince. We saw the individual impact he can have on a game last season and undoubtedly I'd say he's a better winger than Weimann anyway.

That being said, my team would look something like:

Carson

Christie           Keogh               Shackell     Warnock

Thorne

Butterfield        Johnson

Russell                                               Ince
                                                                    Martin

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We learned a couple of things from the Forest game; Butterfield should be starting over Hendrick, still don't understand the reasoning for dropping him against Forest and the decision certainly backfired. We lacked one player taking the game by the scruff of the neck against Forest, someone that can create chances from very little, based on this I'd start Ince. We saw the individual impact he can have on a game last season and undoubtedly I'd say he's a better winger than Weimann anyway.

That being said, my team would look something like:

Carson

Christie           Keogh               Shackell     Warnock

Thorne

Butterfield        Johnson

Russell                                               Ince
                                                                    Martin

The player most likely to take a shot and score from 20-25 yards is Butterfield. You can be getting hammered all day and still get a goal with him playing. We may need that at Hull and Boro.Much more chance of controlling a game with JB in the team. Hendrick for last 30 mins when the game opens up.

Hendrick's really come on strong this season and has added a huge amount of skill to his game. He's got a lot of tricks in his locker that he didn't used to have as he continues to develop. He recently played the full match in midfield in a full competitive international where his team beat the reigning world champions. In the game against the gumps, he came closest to scoring when he hit the bar with a very fine controlled effort from distance, and then he got himself in the position to have the best chance of the game, but unfortunately dummied the ball to let it run for Johnny Russell.

The game against the gumps does not "prove" in any way that it was a terrible decision to play Hendrick over Butterfield. I'd say they're close at the moment, and given Hendrick's past successes in that fixture, I think Clement made the right call. Whether or not Hendrick starts against Cardiff may depend on his performances and results in the international break. If he's buzzing from qualification from the Euros, maybe even scoring the goal to take the Republic there, I would keep the lad in the team.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hendrick's really come on strong this season and has added a huge amount of skill to his game. He's got a lot of tricks in his locker that he didn't used to have as he continues to develop. He recently played the full match in midfield in a full competitive international where his team beat the reigning world champions. In the game against the gumps, he came closest to scoring when he hit the bar with a very fine controlled effort from distance, and then he got himself in the position to have the best chance of the game, but unfortunately dummied the ball to let it run for Johnny Russell.

The game against the gumps does not "prove" in any way that it was a terrible decision to play Hendrick over Butterfield. I'd say they're close at the moment, and given Hendrick's past successes in that fixture, I think Clement made the right call. Whether or not Hendrick starts against Cardiff may depend on his performances and results in the international break. If he's buzzing from qualification from the Euros, maybe even scoring the goal to take the Republic there, I would keep the lad in the team.

That's the most ridiculous argument for picking a player... Well I suppose Shackell should have been dropped for Buxton then because he once scored a 95th minute winner against Forest?

You pick your strongest team based on recent performances, not what a player has achieved in certain fixtures in past seasons!

Butterfield in recent games has certainly hit form and for me, was one of our standout players, especially against QPR and Rotherham. Based on his merits in those games alone, he should have kept his starting place against Forest. I actually thought he made a very positive impact when he came on but ultimately it was too little, too late. Therefore, he should come back into the starting XI against Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

For me, he should have had a few goals this season, some efforts being quite feeble. He does not shut the door when opposing midfielders make a breakaway. I would try him as a sort of winger for 30 mins sometime. Not sure if he can cross a ball, he can certainly cut inside as well as the other wingers.He should be stronger than Weimann , ince or Russell. Butterfield in midfield pretty much every week for me for his overall game.

36 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's the most ridiculous argument for picking a player... Well I suppose Shackell should have been dropped for Buxton then because he once scored a 95th minute winner against Forest?

You pick your strongest team based on recent performances, not what a player has achieved in certain fixtures in past seasons!

Butterfield in recent games has certainly hit form and for me, was one of our standout players, especially against QPR and Rotherham. Based on his merits in those games alone, he should have kept his starting place against Forest. I actually thought he made a very positive impact when he came on but ultimately it was too little, too late. Therefore, he should come back into the starting XI against Cardiff.

We have healthy competition for places. Both Hendrick and Butterfield have raised their games in recent weeks, which is all to the good. But the A52 Derby is surprisingly intense to those new to it and I think that, all else being equal (and I'm sure it was a close call), with Hendrick scoring and performing well in previous derbies it could well have been the clincher. Football success is partly about experience and we already had a lot of people on the park without previous experience in the fixture. Hendrick coming through the academy knows all about that particular game and has proved that in the past.

Personally I think all the midfield places are still up for grabs for Cardiff. As I mentioned, whatever else he did, Hendrick demonstrated he was our most dangerous attacking player against the gumps.

Archived