Sam Rush signs new 5 year contract

maydrakin

My bad - I meant President not Chairman, so thanks for pointing that one out

The original 3 year contract - yep he did say it

"When I first joined the club I signed for three full seasons, so my contract was coming to an end"

Large shareholder, yes. He owns a lot of shares. It's been discussed previously. Obviously MM is by far the majority shareholder, but I think there was only evidence that he bought the yanks out - not Sam. Unless you know otherwise?

Sorry my comments confused you. The key bit for you to re-read is

"All of the above could be achieved in a private business-like manner."

Don't read my comments as me being particularly critical of the move - more the manner in which it has been dealt with by the club's media department.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

My bad - I meant President not Chairman, so thanks for pointing that one out

The original 3 year contract - yep he did say it

"When I first joined the club I signed for three full seasons, so my contract was coming to an end"

Large shareholder, yes. He owns a lot of shares. It's been discussed previously. Obviously MM is by far the majority shareholder, but I think there was only evidence that he bought the yanks out - not Sam. Unless you know otherwise?

Sorry my comments confused you. The key bit for you to re-read is

"All of the above could be achieved in a private business-like manner."

Don't read my comments as me being particularly critical of the move - more the manner in which it has been dealt with by the club's media department.

Sam owned 5% - that was available on the breakdown of the accounts that I can access. (It showed all the Americans and how much they owned). Its my assumption that Mel has bought Sam's shares as well.

Just done another search. The top company in the UK is Global Derby (UK) Limited. The breakdown of the shareholding is as follows:

SHAREHOLDERS NON-QUOTED

Shareholder's Name Class of Shares Joint Shareholder Number Of Shares Currency Issued Capital

NORTH AMERICAN PARTNERS LP Ordinary No 11087667 GBP 11,087,667

NORTH AMERICAN PARTNERS LP Preference No 9532888 GBP 9,532,888

MELVYN, MORRIS Preference No 2467112 GBP 2,467,112

UNDISCLOSED Ordinary No 2436634 GBP 2,436,634

MELVYN, MORRIS Ordinary No 799664 GBP 799,664

SAMUEL, JOHN, RUSH Ordinary No 101622 GBP 101,622

This puts Sam at 3.8% share holding but without being able to look up North American Partners LP and who owns them, I cannot determine the share holder positions. We could easily find MM has 100% in North American Partners.

If he didn't sign and said that he didn't need a contract in order to be committed to the club, people would be saying he's just waiting for a way out to a bigger club when that comes. When he has the contract people are saying he shouldn't need to contract anyway 

As has been stated earlier, if the fridge magnet had "signed a new 5 year deal" we would be laughing at it...it is just a tin pot announcement that is a sad reflection on modern day football I am afraid, that a member of the office staff has an announcement like this tells you just what is wrong with football. 

Thanks sky sports news. 

41 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This puts Sam at 3.8% share holding but without being able to look up North American Partners LP and who owns them, I cannot determine the share holder positions. We could easily find MM has 100% in North American Partners.

Good detective work - so my point about him being a shareholder is still true.

Kernow - I'm not saying he shouldn't need to contract - (although it still seems weird to me)

I guess the point is that I'm struck by the obvious contradiction

This is either normal behaviour for clubs to have their President/CEO/Director/Shareholder on a fixed term contract, or it's not normal and we've made a strange move.

If it is normal - then why doesn't every club make a big deal about it in the media?

Still think it should have just been kept private

I think the guy is as important to Derby County (Which is a business as well as a football team) as Clement, George Thorne or Chris Martin is. I think he is more important than Mel Morris but many will disagree with me on that one.

However on the basis that any 1st team squad signing a contract is news worthy, Sam committing his future to us is just as important and deserves its own news release.

10 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I think the guy is as important to Derby County (Which is a business as well as a football team) as Clement, George Thorne or Chris Martin is. I think he is more important than Mel Morris but many will disagree with me on that one.

However on the basis that any 1st team squad signing a contract is news worthy, Sam committing his future to us is just as important and deserves its own news release.

No, I have to disagree with you totally, it really doesn't deserve to be any news at all... So he has done a decent job, well done him, but be under no illusions if he was offered a better job he would be off like hot snot...just like anyone would. 

I still can't get my head around the fact that he (or any of the administrative staff) has a "5 year contract"....surely it's a job he has..!?? 

Another example how the modern game is the epitome of poop  

I'm being a bit thick I think.................What exactly is the problem? DCFC is a reasonably large business. It has massive community links and 30,000 + followers. The CEO, a major figure at the club who has it seems to the vast majority done a very good job, is contracted for another 5 years. The club make the announcement to their customers and interview said CEO. Why the bad feeling?

26 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

No, I have to disagree with you totally, it really doesn't deserve to be any news at all... So he has done a decent job, well done him, but be under no illusions if he was offered a better job he would be off like hot snot...just like anyone would. 

I still can't get my head around the fact that he (or any of the administrative staff) has a "5 year contract"....surely it's a job he has..!?? 

It must be sad to be so bitter about everything.

FFS some people really will look for any reason to moan about things at the club! SR is a popular figure at the club and all they have done by announcing this new contract is to keep the feel good factor going.

If this sort of thing doesn't float your boat, ignore it and let the rest of us enjoy being part of a club that seems to be built on solid foundations with good people running it.

It was interesting that SR only now realised some of the difficulties NC had to deal with in his role as DCFC Manager.

I wonder if this is based on the size of budget NC had to deal with compared to our current spending.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Isn't that the point though - he can't just go if he was offered a better job. The players and the manager are in the same boat, they cannot just go.

I think the vast majority of fans who care about off the field will agree he has done a brilliant job - and those same fans will now care he is tied into us.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep it's awful, life is tough..!

by the way, have you creamed yourself because I just heard that the IT manager has just signed a new 3 year deal...

I was hoping he'd leave, so I could apply.

Pondering on it overnight and I guess I just have to accept it's the club's choice to publicise it. They obviously thought it would give a little bit of shallow, feel-good entertainment to the average fan. The response on this thread proves they were right, so I'll shut my beak :)

One last thought to leave you with though - Sam mentioned in his interview that his initial 3 year deal was coming to an end (he started in the January so I guess it was a couple of months off expiry).

How many fans knew that he was on a 3 year deal and that it was close to expiry? I think the answer is pretty much - none.

Now imagine the uproar there will be in 4.5 years time if we think his publicly announced 5 year contract is about to expire...

Now remember that alongside the Mac to Newcastle rumours last year, there were also strong rumours about SR being in talks with Chelsea. I heard both at the same time from a source within the club, so not an unfair conclusion to jump to that there was substance to both (as the Mac/Newcastle one was clearly true). At that point Rush had less than a year left on his contract (that no one knew about). Again, imagine the meltdown that will happen if these sort of rumours resurface in the last year of his new 5 year contract..

Sometimes it's best not to know and trust that the club have it all in hand eh?

I think we used to be called blind-faithers!

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Pondering on it overnight and I guess I just have to accept it's the club's choice to publicise it. They obviously thought it would give a little bit of shallow, feel-good entertainment to the average fan. The response on this thread proves they were right, so I'll shut my beak :)

One last thought to leave you with though - Sam mentioned in his interview that his initial 3 year deal was coming to an end (he started in the January so I guess it was a couple of months off expiry).

How many fans knew that he was on a 3 year deal and that it was close to expiry? I think the answer is pretty much - none.

Now imagine the uproar there will be in 4.5 years time if we think his publicly announced 5 year contract is about to expire...

Now remember that alongside the Mac to Newcastle rumours last year, there were also strong rumours about SR being in talks with Chelsea. I heard both at the same time from a source within the club, so not an unfair conclusion to jump to that there was substance to both (as the Mac/Newcastle one was clearly true). At that point Rush had less than a year left on his contract (that no one knew about). Again, imagine the meltdown that will happen if these sort of rumours resurface in the last year of his new 5 year contract..

Sometimes it's best not to know and trust that the club have it all in hand eh?

I think we used to be called blind-faithers!

Not sure I like that bit. Are you an above average fan with more depth? If I had known I would not have penned ideas above my station

Archived