Darren Bent

DEL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you start Bent? 

Not automatically. Some games he should, others he shouldn't. Some games he should be brought on earlier, some games we won't need him. It is the job of our club to identify when and where Bent should fit in. I believe he fits in far more often than most fans would. Some fans think we should stick to plan A. and if that isn't working bring on Bent for the final 15 minutes. Sometimes you have got to start with plan B and other times switch to it much sooner than you already are. 

It is the job of the club to identify what approach should be taken before they face their next opponent. None of us go through the level of detail they do to prepare for the next opponent. If you were to ask me who should play this game and who should play that game, I haven't got enough data to say really. The club do and I think that Bent should get substantially more game time than what a large proportion of our fans propose. 

Not automatically. Some games he should, others he shouldn't. Some games he should be brought on earlier, some games we won't need him. It is the job of our club to identify when and where Bent should fit in. I believe he fits in far more often than most fans would. Some fans think we should stick to plan A. and if that isn't working bring on Bent for the final 15 minutes. Sometimes you have got to start with plan B and other times switch to it much sooner than you already are. 

It is the job of the club to identify what approach should be taken before they face their next opponent. None of us go through the level of detail they do to prepare for the next opponent. If you were to ask me who should play this game and who should play that game, I haven't got enough data to say really. The club do and I think that Bent should get substantially more game time than what a large proportion of our fans propose. 

I think if he is playing instead of Martin we need to switch to 4-2-3-1, incidentally I thought we should have switched to this formation after 15 minutes, not with 15 minutes to go. 

I think if he is playing instead of Martin we need to switch to 4-2-3-1, incidentally I thought we should have switched to this formation after 15 minutes, not with 15 minutes to go. 

I wondered if i was the only one thinking in the first half "why we didn't try him" when our tactic seemed to be the floated lob type pass from BJ or similar for someone to try to run on to and fail.

I wondered if i was the only one thinking in the first half "why we didn't try him" when our tactic seemed to be the floated lob type pass from BJ or similar for someone to try to run on to and fail.

At half time I felt that it was screaming out for Hendrick, because basically Brad and Butters were occupying the same space and neither had been anywhere near as effective as Ben Reeves. Jeff's direct style seemed to be just what we wanted. I was, however, surprised that Bent replaced Martin (I felt sure that it would be in place of Russell, which shows just how much I know) - but it proved to be a masterstroke.

But would your grandma (cremated 1995) have made the run to arrive at the right time to pop the ball in the net? 

Joking aside - watch the goal again and keep your eyes on Bent during the build up.

It's a thing of beauty to watch. He's weaving about being tracked by the defender but he spots the ball before Ince has even played it - at the split second when the defender is looking up to see where the cross is coming from. He looks up - sees the cross, looks at Bent who has already stepped away and is in the exact right spot to tap the ball home

Yes it looked like an easy tap-in but it was footballing poetry

Did well when he came on, dont know why people are complaining about the kind of goal he scored. Just important he scored it, Martin failed to get into the six yard box all game and Bent comes on, scores from the six yard box but who cares because it was a tap in.

I'd probably give him a start on Saturday, we were that poor for 70 minutes v MK Dons that some changes are needed.

Archived