Darren Bent

DEL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin won't be dropped. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that DEL. I have watched him very closely over the last 3 games, and he really isn't at the races. He was incredibly poor on Saturday, and whilst he might have been feeding off scraps to an extent he wasn't in my view making things happen, and when he did get the ball (other than the one ok shot on goal) he either lost it immediately or was offside. As for Butterfield, the guy has played ok so far, and in truth his game is based on vision, and the ability to find players running through into space (like he did with Warnock on Saturday). I think Butterfield would be a different player if Weimann, Ince or Bent were making darting runs in front of him.

Do not misconstrue this as I think Martin should be dropped Saturday, but I think he isn't quite the first certain pick he might have been at one stage with us.

I wouldn't be so sure of that DEL. I have watched him very closely over the last 3 games, and he really isn't at the races. He was incredibly poor on Saturday, and whilst he might have been feeding off scraps to an extent he wasn't in my view making things happen, and when he did get the ball (other than the one ok shot on goal) he either lost it immediately or was offside. As for Butterfield, the guy has played ok so far, and in truth his game is based on vision, and the ability to find players running through into space (like he did with Warnock on Saturday). I think Butterfield would be a different player if Weimann, Ince or Bent were making darting runs in front of him.

Do not misconstrue this as I think Martin should be dropped Saturday, but I think he isn't quite the first certain pick he might have been at one stage with us.

I agree about butterfield, already seeing a fair bit of criticism aimed at him, but from what I saw of him at Huddersfield, he is a player who looks to play a positive forward ball. On saturday the lack of movement in the first half in particular was shocking, every time butterfield or johnson got the ball there was nothing on. Butterfield needs better movement ahead of him for me, Derby just need better movement all together than we do atm. Watching leeds yesterday, their passing and movement reminded me of us under Mac. The player passing the ball for leeds moves straight away and is always looking to create a gap. 

As for Martin, I would probably say that was one of his worst ever performances in a Derby shirt, looked disinterested most of the first half and I've never seen him lose the ball so many times. But every player has there off days and Martin has far far more great games than bad ones, I fully expect him to start and probably get a goal against Brentford.

Bent came on and did his job well, which is why imo it was a mistake not to bring him on against Burnley.He won't score every time but he will be in the box most times.

I think against Burnley we were always mindful of their quality and potential threat of catching us on a break. So e kept Martin on to hold the ball up, we earned a point!

Against MK Dons a draw would have been 2 points lost so we sacrificed the hold up play of Martin and looked to turn MK Dons.

So the Bent/Martin saga really depends on the scenario!

I agree about butterfield, already seeing a fair bit of criticism aimed at him, but from what I saw of him at Huddersfield, he is a player who looks to play a positive forward ball. On saturday the lack of movement in the first half in particular was shocking, every time butterfield or johnson got the ball there was nothing on. Butterfield needs better movement ahead of him for me, Derby just need better movement all together than we do atm. Watching leeds yesterday, their passing and movement reminded me of us under Mac. The player passing the ball for leeds moves straight away and is always looking to create a gap. 

As for Martin, I would probably say that was one of his worst ever performances in a Derby shirt, looked disinterested most of the first half and I've never seen him lose the ball so many times. But every player has there off days and Martin has far far more great games than bad ones, I fully expect him to start and probably get a goal against Brentford.

Martin wasn't that impressive but I think that was potentially due to how both teams set up.

He was always isolated, as were most of our players. If you watch Martin week in week out you'll notice he rarely passes the ball more than a more than a few feet. He sucks in players and keeps the team compact and effective.

If he's isolated his useless. Rosler knows how to stop him and maybe a few other coaches have caught on. If this is the case we need to work out a way to bring him back into the game and that's not just down to Martin.

Martin wasn't that impressive but I think that was potentially due to how both teams set up.

He was always isolated, as were most of our players. If you watch Martin week in week out you'll notice he rarely passes the ball more than a more than a few feet. He sucks in players and keeps the team compact and effective.

If he's isolated his useless. Rosler knows how to stop him and maybe a few other coaches have caught on. If this is the case we need to work out a way to bring him back into the game and that's not just down to Martin.

I agree with a lot of your comments but the reason Martin was 'isolated' was his inability to get the ball under control long enough for supporting players to make themselves available.

Having said that, the team doesn't quite seem to have the desire just yet.

I would love to see two or three players demanding the ball all the time.

I am also looking for players to chase back with determination when we lose the ball.

On Saturday Hendrick lost the ball and scarcely trotted back, creating a 2v1 situation (though I thought he generally played okay).

I think when the players get to know each other better the work rate and passing will improve.

I think against Burnley we were always mindful of their quality and potential threat of catching us on a break. So e kept Martin on to hold the ball up, we earned a point!

Against MK Dons a draw would have been 2 points lost so we sacrificed the hold up play of Martin and looked to turn MK Dons.

So the Bent/Martin saga really depends on the scenario!

To be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing them both on the pitch, if the situation requires it.

To be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing them both on the pitch, if the situation requires it.

Give the diamond a try again? On paper the following (based on current fitness) looks formidable:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Thorne

Butterfield Johnson

Ince

Bent Martin

Bent makes appearing in the box at the right time look ridiculously easy. Why can others not do it so well? Because Bent is a class above act.

Everyone has different skill sets! Matin makes hold up and link up play look easier. Bent not so!

I actually thought the Martin/Bent combo worked well against Birmingham away. We created chances against a very good team that night.

However assuming Ince and Russell won't be dropped, that means two from Thorne, Hendrick, Butterfield and Johnson. I don't think Clement would dare leave two of them out.

They are nice options to have but agree the cutting edge in the box needs working on.

Archived