Hendrick

drgoodspeak

I thought he looked good when he came on last night... Did what I want to see more of from him and got into the box as well as running with the ball... He's a difficult lad to stop when he'd running with the ball...

That said... I think both Johnson and Butterfield showed a speed of thought/action last night which we have been (Hendrick especially) lacking in the last coupla years... Both showed they're willing to play quickly when needed (Johnson's great ball from bottom left to top right to pick out Russell being a great example... No dawdling just pow...ball gone...)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought our off the ball movement was poor up until Hendrick came on. Of our forward thinking midfielders (I've not seen enough of Butterfield or Johnson to rank them), Hughes (injured) has the best positional sense, Bryson (injured) is best at running beyond the ball to drag opposition out of position, and they are both very effective at closing down the ball.

Hendrick, whilst not being in a class of his own in regards to one particular area, is a very well rounded midfielder who offers all of the above - some of which we saw last night - as well as having a good shot on him and being able to run with the ball (I don't say that just because of his recent assist for Ireland). 

At only 23 years old, he's got a lot more to offer. With over 160 appearances for Derby he's been one of the most solid players we've had over the last few years of tripe I've witnessed. Not to mention he's one of our own academy players.

Moaning for the sake of having a moan. 

I thought our off the ball movement was poor up until Hendrick came on. Of our forward thinking midfielders (I've not seen enough of Butterfield or Johnson to rank them), Hughes (injured) has the best positional sense, Bryson (injured) is best at running beyond the ball to drag opposition out of position, and they are both very effective at closing down the ball.

Hendrick, whilst not being in a class of his own in regards to one particular area, is a very well rounded midfielder who offers all of the above - some of which we saw last night - as well as having a good shot on him and being able to run with the ball (I don't say that just because of his recent assist for Ireland). 

At only 23 years old, he's got a lot more to offer. With over 160 appearances for Derby he's been one of the most solid players we've had over the last few years of tripe I've witnessed. Not to mention he's one of our own academy players.

Moaning for the sake of having a moan. 

He has been punching above his weight for a while now. He is a scrapper for sure but doesn't have the quality for me. He is hardly a knock-out at this level and personally I have him pegged as a very average player at this level. If he is left out it is hardly a blow with any hard hitting after effects.

I'd never describe him as a 'scrapper'.  In fact i don't think he's has enough bite in his game.  He does have quality, but fails to get the best out of himself too often for me.  I'd love to see a bit more drive and determination from him.

I'd never describe him as a 'scrapper'.  In fact i don't think he's has enough bite in his game.  He does have quality, but fails to get the best out of himself too often for me.  I'd love to see a bit more drive and determination from him.

He shows plenty of it for his country which is frustrating, watched the past few games and he's looked a completely different player to the one we see.

He shows plenty of it for his country which is frustrating, watched the past few games and he's looked a completely different player to the one we see.

Interesting that Martin O'Neill has said that what he needs is more belief in himself.  Maybe he finds it easier to play for Rep of Ireland than for Derby.

i thought he did fine when he came on last night and was an improvement on butterfield but none of them will play shortly

I think that Thorne Johnson and Butterfield is a good midfield three but that when Bryson returns from injury he will displace Butterfield and play every minute of every game until the end of the season.

What do you think valleyram I haven't seen many comments from you on the matter?

I think that Thorne Johnson and Butterfield is a good midfield three but that when Bryson returns from injury he will displace Butterfield and play every minute of every game until the end of the season.

What do you think valleyram I haven't seen many comments from you on the matter?

If we've paid £5m to have Butterfield on the bench I will be stunned. As I think he himself would be. I've seen all three of his starts for us so far and I like what I've seen and I'm of the opinion that there's much more to come from him once he settles in etc. 

It's good that we've competition now, and down to each lad to prove they belong in the XI. It should motivate each of them to play well. Or one or two will sulk. We'll see. 

If we've paid £5m to have Butterfield on the bench I will be stunned. As I think he himself would be. I've seen all three of his starts for us so far and I like what I've seen and I'm of the opinion that there's much more to come from him once he settles in etc. 

It's good that we've competition now, and down to each lad to prove they belong in the XI. It should motivate each of them to play well. Or one or two will sulk. We'll see. 

I was being sarcastic

However good/bad he plays I would have him in the squad every single time ahead of Bryson, as with Jamie Ward, thanks but we have progressed from the time Bryson was an ok player for us. 

thank the lord your no the manager , luckily paul clement knows more about the game than you

thank the lord your no the manager , luckily paul clement knows more about the game than you

Be interesting to see if that view changes once Clement has Thorne, Butterfield, Johnson, Hendrick and Bryson to choose from and Bryson doesn't start....unless Bryson has been told he will start once fit and you know this.

To think we still have Hughes to come back next year as well Clement faces some tough choices. 

I really expected him to kick on at the start of last season, and he did start very well.  I think the issue with him in the past couple of seasons is that his game drops off when he's not under pressure of being dropped, he gets complacent.  Now with Butters & Johnson breathing down his neck he needs to up his game, which is what we saw on Monday.

At the start of last season I tipped him to overtake Bryson and bag 10-15 goals for the season and I think he still has that in his locker but he lets himself down by getting too comfortable and not pushing himself...

I really expected him to kick on at the start of last season, and he did start very well.  I think the issue with him in the past couple of seasons is that his game drops off when he's not under pressure of being dropped, he gets complacent.  Now with Butters & Johnson breathing down his neck he needs to up his game, which is what we saw on Monday.

At the start of last season I tipped him to overtake Bryson and bag 10-15 goals for the season and I think he still has that in his locker but he lets himself down by getting too comfortable and not pushing himself...

I agree he was arguably our best player at the start of last season before he dislocated his shoulder before the international break. After that he was terrible 

You obviously attend different matces to me, he may have been below his normal standards but 'terrible', NEVER.

I think this is why a lot of fans single him out for stick.  He's by no means a bad player, but we know how good he can be when he's really on his game.  Hughes can get away with having the odd off day due to the fact his bar is so high he can still boss a game to some degree, whereas Jeff has to strive to match his best.  A lot of the time he can appear to be on auto-pilot...

Archived