Hendrick

drgoodspeak

He has been punching above his weight for a while now. He is a scrapper for sure but doesn't have the quality for me. He is hardly a knock-out at this level and personally I have him pegged as a very average player at this level. If he is left out it is hardly a blow with any hard hitting after effects.

A bad spell of form isn't indicative of a bad player... We have all seen what Hendrick is capable of but just because he isn't performing at his best at the moment doesn't mean his form won't return. The home tie of the play-off semi-finals against Brighton showed Hendrick at his best, driving runs forward, bridging the gap between midfield and posing a substantial goal threat. He was unplayable in that game, in fact the last 10 or so games, his form was excellent.

Give him time and he'll come good; look at Christie!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He really was terrible for me. He disappeared a lot and when he did have the ball he either a)got easily pushed over b)passed it backwards c)made a horrendous mistake. 

9 goals and a few assists not a bad return for someone who was "terrible" 

And top goal scorer as CM last season. Just saying 

10 assists too... So had a hand in creating and scoring 1 in every 4/5 goals... Not a bad return 

Good player between the half way line and the opposition goal, not so good in his own half.

Yeah. The way Jeff likes to drive past players and  will have a shot shows he isn't a CM or RM. He is a central attacking midfielder. It's time to start playing people in their best positions. 

Yeah. The way Jeff likes to drive past players and  will have a shot shows he isn't a CM or RM. He is a central attacking midfielder. It's time to start playing people in their best positions. 

He's also great get into them pockets in between Midfield and Defence...

He will only improve further I think...

Spot on. 

I was overly harsh on him at times last season, frustrates me that such a seemingly powerful guy gets bullied off the ball so much.

However over the summer watched quite a few games back from the season before, quite noticeable how different a player he looks once 35yds from the opposition goal, 1-2's, quick movement, great awareness and shooting! 

The problem now is how can we fit Jeff into a position that suits his strengths best, without leaving out a multi-million pound player elsewhere?

I was overly harsh on him at times last season, frustrates me that such a seemingly powerful guy gets bullied off the ball so much.

However over the summer watched quite a few games back from the season before, quite noticeable how different a player he looks once 35yds from the opposition goal, 1-2's, quick movement, great awareness and shooting! 

The problem now is how can we fit Jeff into a position that suits his strengths best, without leaving out a multi-million pound player elsewhere?

Him and Christie are the only players that make me moan at matches. Not abuse them or get on their backs just the odd curse. 

Christie because he sees what to do, ignores it, looks for 2 better things to do and then comes back to the first option. Makes me angry that he struggles to see what he can do to improve his game by so much when it's so frickin simple!! 

Hendrick, he's got awareness, bravery, aggression, strength, good movement etc etc. A good footballer. So why in the early build up is he thick, negative/overly safe, weak and clumsy? It's like 2 completely different players. (He's terrible at tracking runners though when defending. Like proper bad. Worse than anyone else including forwards) 

I don't find bad players infuriating. They're just crap and I blame the manager if they keep costing us. 

Don't find good players infuriating when they are tasked with something they don't suit. Like asking Martin to run channels or Hughes to win crunching tackles or Ince to win a header... It's just not them. Play to their strengths because they're good and build a team around them to cover weakness 

But when players like these 2 are selling themselves short it makes me angry. 

Christie knows what to do because he measures it up. Why does he ignore his instincts and why does it take so long for him to figure out that what he's doing is wrong? 

Hendrick, why can he not do all the things he's good at if he's 15 yards further back? How can he change so much as a footballer depending on where he's working? 

That's why if Derby play well then Hendrick plays well. He is dependant on others getting him forward. But he has the ability to do it himself. 

Argh!! 

but that implies that by leaving Hendricks on the bench we're not leaving out a multi million pound player. Just cost we got him for free through the academy, doesn't mean he's not worth as much money as the others. Plenty of teams that would pay butterfield type fees for hendrick too. I think we take that for granted. 

Is Martin worthless cos we got him on a free, or is a multi million pound striker?

were blessed to have lots of multi million pound midfielders. Sometimes some of them will have to miss out. That might include the new guys. 

but that implies that by leaving Hendricks on the bench we're not leaving out a multi million pound player. Just cost we got him for free through the academy, doesn't mean he's not worth as much money as the others. Plenty of teams that would pay butterfield type fees for hendrick too. I think we take that for granted. 

Is Martin worthless cos we got him on a free, or is a multi million pound striker?

were blessed to have lots of multi million pound midfielders. Sometimes some of them will have to miss out. That might include the new guys. 

Yes I suppose it does.

However, history suggests that when players arrive for large fees or wages more often than not they play regardless.

Clement so far seems to pick on merit, hence Wiemann, Bent and Pearce have been on the bench.

However if I was Mel, and had just done 10m on 2 players I'd be expecting them to start more often than not, add in Russells good form, Ince's high price tag, Thorne as the CDM, and it's not hard to see Jeff struggling to make an impact, especially when Bryson and Hughes return to fitness.

The difference between Martin and Hendrick is obvious, I would have thought, Martin's by far the best at the club in his role, while Hendrick's one of many battling for a spot.

Yes I suppose it does.

However, history suggests that when players arrive for large fees or wages more often than not they play regardless.

Clement so far seems to pick on merit, hence Wiemann, Bent and Pearce have been on the bench.

However if I was Mel, and had just done 10m on 2 players I'd be expecting them to start more often than not, add in Russells good form, Ince's high price tag, Thorne as the CDM, and it's not hard to see Jeff struggling to make an impact, especially when Bryson and Hughes return to fitness.

The difference between Martin and Hendrick is obvious, I would have thought, Martin's by far the best at the club in his role, while Hendrick's one of many battling for a spot.

But surely Clement won't comply with the "home grown cuota" if he drops Hendrick :ph34r:

Him and Christie are the only players that make me moan at matches. Not abuse them or get on their backs just the odd curse. 

Christie because he sees what to do, ignores it, looks for 2 better things to do and then comes back to the first option. Makes me angry that he struggles to see what he can do to improve his game by so much when it's so frickin simple!! 

Hendrick, he's got awareness, bravery, aggression, strength, good movement etc etc. A good footballer. So why in the early build up is he thick, negative/overly safe, weak and clumsy? It's like 2 completely different players. (He's terrible at tracking runners though when defending. Like proper bad. Worse than anyone else including forwards) 

I don't find bad players infuriating. They're just crap and I blame the manager if they keep costing us. 

Don't find good players infuriating when they are tasked with something they don't suit. Like asking Martin to run channels or Hughes to win crunching tackles or Ince to win a header... It's just not them. Play to their strengths because they're good and build a team around them to cover weakness 

But when players like these 2 are selling themselves short it makes me angry. 

Christie knows what to do because he measures it up. Why does he ignore his instincts and why does it take so long for him to figure out that what he's doing is wrong? 

Hendrick, why can he not do all the things he's good at if he's 15 yards further back? How can he change so much as a footballer depending on where he's working? 

That's why if Derby play well then Hendrick plays well. He is dependant on others getting him forward. But he has the ability to do it himself. 

Argh!! 

I agree with all of this.

I still don't think I've forgiven Hendrick and a few other players for that second Forest goal last season.

I think I was in a more intelligent position than Jeff for that goal sat in Row N on the half-way line in the East Stand. 9 months on, I'm still angry about that!!! What were they all doing!?!? 

I agree with all of this.

I still don't think I've forgiven Hendrick and a few other players for that second Forest goal last season.

I think I was in a more intelligent position than Jeff for that goal sat in Row N on the half-way line in the East Stand. 9 months on, I'm still angry about that!!! What were they all doing!?!? 

Was a terrible terrible goal. 

Can only assume that there was a really fit bird in the North Stand

Archived